Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, this is going to be long, so if you don't like books, leave now because I am going to start from the beginning.

- I bought my 2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 3.4 2WD from a business in Central Florida. It had 136,000 miles, a dent here and there, and of course the business decals all over. I got it for a good price, drove it the 4 hours back home and began to clean her up and remove all of the company stickers/decals.
- About a month goes by, and the truck is doing great, when all of a sudden, I start getting a loud roaring sound from the tires. This turns out to be a driver side rear wheel bearing. I take it upon myself to remove the axle shaft myself and take it to a local shop to press on the new bearing.
- I put the axle shaft back on, with a new seal and I get a leak, a very bad one. The shop left off one of the retainers, so the retainer wasn't even touching the seal. The shop re did the abs ring and retainers, and I replaced the shaft and seal once again, but I still get a leak. I was using the Tomkin seals as I couldn't get the factory ones in without denting the very flimsy metal. I take it back to the shop, and they offer to take the axle shaft out and replace the seal, which they did and the leak stops. I also replace the diff fluid at this time, no flakes to be seen.
- This is when the shaking starts (that I can remember). I am now at 143,000 miles and the rear end shakes at 45-50 and really at all speeds above, but most noticable at 50mph.
- I am thinking now that the new bearing got washed out with fluid when the shop installed the retainers incorrectly, so I order one from an online junk yard to bypass the headache, but little did I know it was just starting. The junk yard sent the passenger side, which will not work due to the emergency brake, so I sent it back and left it alone. Also at this time, I had already removed the axle shaft, because at this time I am a pro and can remove it in 5 minutes. The shop that put the seal in used a Toyota seal but noticably dented it in when installing it.
- I took it in to get Hunter aligned, and still no help, it still shakes.
- I finally order another junkyard axle shaft. It comes in and I put it on, and no change, does the EXACT same thing. I am pretty sure that it would be very uncommon that both wheel bearings would be bad and do the exact same thing at the exact same speed. No sounds from either side, and no play.
- At this point I am fed up with it, and take the truck in to have the rear brakes checked, and the U Joints looked at. The shop adjusts the shoes, which are in great shape, and spend all day balancing the tires, rotating them, removing the driveshaft, and checking the shocks. The shake is still there, and they are stumped.

At this point I am just tired of fooling with the truck. A part of me just wants to sell it, but I won't get anywhere near the price it is worth due to the shake, and besides the shake, I love the truck and don't want to part with it.

I am not sure what my next action(s) should be???

The ONLY thing that I can come up with (as I am almost positive that this shake didn't occur until the bearing change) is the fact that maybe the seal that they dented in while installing is out of round to some degree and rubbing on the retainer on the axle shaft, but then again this should shread the rubber on the seal, and possibly leave a mark on the retainer, both of which I don't see.

Should I replace the seal? I would of course have another shop do it, as I am a retard when it comes to seating seals it seems.

Please let me know of any ideas you guys may have. I am open to all of them. I would actually like to switch out to the full float rear with disc brakes on the rear, but that is $1200 and possibly wouldn't fix the issue.

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys!!! :juggle:

·
2,444 Posts
Ok guys, this is going to be long, so if you don't like books, leave now because I am going to start from the beginning.

- I bought my 2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 3.4 2WD from a business in Central Florida. It had 136,000 miles, a dent here and there, and of course the business decals all over. I got it for a good price, drove it the 4 hours back home and began to clean her up and remove all of the company stickers/decals.
- About a month goes by, and the truck is doing great, when all of a sudden, I start getting a loud roaring sound from the tires. This turns out to be a driver side rear wheel bearing. I take it upon myself to remove the axle shaft myself and take it to a local shop to press on the new bearing.
- I put the axle shaft back on, with a new seal and I get a leak, a very bad one. The shop left off one of the retainers, so the retainer wasn't even touching the seal. The shop re did the abs ring and retainers, and I replaced the shaft and seal once again, but I still get a leak. I was using the Tomkin seals as I couldn't get the factory ones in without denting the very flimsy metal. I take it back to the shop, and they offer to take the axle shaft out and replace the seal, which they did and the leak stops. I also replace the diff fluid at this time, no flakes to be seen.
- This is when the shaking starts (that I can remember). I am now at 143,000 miles and the rear end shakes at 45-50 and really at all speeds above, but most noticable at 50mph.
- I am thinking now that the new bearing got washed out with fluid when the shop installed the retainers incorrectly, so I order one from an online junk yard to bypass the headache, but little did I know it was just starting. The junk yard sent the passenger side, which will not work due to the emergency brake, so I sent it back and left it alone. Also at this time, I had already removed the axle shaft, because at this time I am a pro and can remove it in 5 minutes. The shop that put the seal in used a Toyota seal but noticably dented it in when installing it.
- I took it in to get Hunter aligned, and still no help, it still shakes.
- I finally order another junkyard axle shaft. It comes in and I put it on, and no change, does the EXACT same thing. I am pretty sure that it would be very uncommon that both wheel bearings would be bad and do the exact same thing at the exact same speed. No sounds from either side, and no play.
- At this point I am fed up with it, and take the truck in to have the rear brakes checked, and the U Joints looked at. The shop adjusts the shoes, which are in great shape, and spend all day balancing the tires, rotating them, removing the driveshaft, and checking the shocks. The shake is still there, and they are stumped.

At this point I am just tired of fooling with the truck. A part of me just wants to sell it, but I won't get anywhere near the price it is worth due to the shake, and besides the shake, I love the truck and don't want to part with it.

I am not sure what my next action(s) should be???

The ONLY thing that I can come up with (as I am almost positive that this shake didn't occur until the bearing change) is the fact that maybe the seal that they dented in while installing is out of round to some degree and rubbing on the retainer on the axle shaft, but then again this should shread the rubber on the seal, and possibly leave a mark on the retainer, both of which I don't see.

Should I replace the seal? I would of course have another shop do it, as I am a retard when it comes to seating seals it seems.

Please let me know of any ideas you guys may have. I am open to all of them. I would actually like to switch out to the full float rear with disc brakes on the rear, but that is $1200 and possibly wouldn't fix the issue.

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys!!! :juggle:
I feel for you. I know I don't like spending my time and energy on anything and not seeing some improvement(s) and/or solving the problem!

I would say if it ain't leaking don't touch that seal, bent or not. A seal shouldn't cause a vibration, at least I don't think it would? Sounds like you were on the right path with the bearing replacement.

Another member here did some rear diff work and ended up ruining his and had to totally rebuild the thing. Maybe he will chime in if something comes to mind.

So, the u-joints are all good, greased etc.? The drive shaft is straight and balanced? The carrier assembly is in good shape?

I am reaching here but could it be a bent axle? You had a junk yard send you one correct? I realize it would not explain the first go around but in shipping maybe it got bent... as hard as they are. You did state you had the tires balanced so that would most likely exclude a bent wheel/rim. Sounds like process of elimination is partially done so you just have to keep going down the list. Don't know if it is possible but do you think gears in the rear diff could be messed up enough to cause vibration like that? Maybe check that out.

Wish you good luck with this, and you hang in there, don't give up. :tu:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Did you disconnect your driveshaft? I seem to remember something about making sure the flanges are bolted up the same way they came off. If it is not bolted up in the same postion you will get a vibration.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If the driveshaft slip yoke was removed, make sure it was reinstalled in phase. Did they check the tires for flat spots?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the kind words!!!

The shop that I took it to yesterday removed the driveshaft, as that was one thing I didn't want to attempt myself. As far as the tires, they have been balanced and rotated more times than I can count, and every place I take them to, they say they are in great shape. They are pep boy brand tires, which I didn't put on, they were put on before the truck went up for sale.

Hmm....so you think the seal is out of the question? That kinda makes me feel just a tad better. As far as the bent axle shaft, it is just hard to believe both of them could be bent, but I do have the original out of it that I could take somewhere and have checked. Just not sure what kind of shop around here could tell me that.

I could always get a junk yard whole rear end, but still not guaranteed. I just need me a totaled parts truck :)

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had a set of Revo's that as they wore started to drive me absolutely nuts. I had them balanced, rotates etc every other oil change and they still wore terrible. I then started getting a loud whir whir whir sound while driving straight and turning, truck always shook above 50...I too thought there was something terribly wrong with my truck. Since my tires were pretty much toast, I found a good deal on rims and brand new Perelli Scorpion ATR tires, put them on and it was like having a brand new truck again. All the headaches I was having was 100% the tires. I will never buy those again, maybe it was because it was the p-rated.

Just my .02...I would have never thought all the noises and vibrations would have been from the tires considering how much $$ I spent on those.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
I feel for you. I know I don't like spending my time and energy on anything and not seeing some improvement(s) and/or solving the problem!

I would say if it ain't leaking don't touch that seal, bent or not. A seal shouldn't cause a vibration, at least I don't think it would? Sounds like you were on the right path with the bearing replacement.

Another member here did some rear diff work and ended up ruining his and had to totally rebuild the thing. Maybe he will chime in if something comes to mind.

So, the u-joints are all good, greased etc.? The drive shaft is straight and balanced? The carrier assembly is in good shape?

I am reaching here but could it be a bent axle? You had a junk yard send you one correct? I realize it would not explain the first go around but in shipping maybe it got bent... as hard as they are. You did state you had the tires balanced so that would most likely exclude a bent wheel/rim. Sounds like process of elimination is partially done so you just have to keep going down the list. Don't know if it is possible but do you think gears in the rear diff could be messed up enough to cause vibration like that? Maybe check that out.

Wish you good luck with this, and you hang in there, don't give up. :tu:
That was me. What loads of fun that was. Real Men of Genius move reinstalling the driver's side axle with a hammer. Yep, a hammer. I know, I know, I know.

To the OP: I feel your pain. Initially the possibility of a bent axle came to mind. It only needs to be out just a hair to create the vibrations. I am sending you a PM with my phone number. Busy day for me today with catch-up mowing from the rains and two birthday parties this evening; mandatory as one is my nephew (very special circumstances here and the other is the new lady I am not seeing but kind of sort of seeing) but call me anyway and we will get some ideas together.

Kudos to you on becoming an unwilling expert at taking your rear end apart and putting it back together so many times. That is intimidating stuff. I remember standing in my friend's barn with my rear end apart thinking to myself that this might not be such a good course of action. The experience was trying but I am strangely grateful for it.

Here is my experience with the rear seals/axles/differentials

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/163222-in-bind-here/

I need to send out another heartfelt thank you to Cajuntundra and Nytrousboy for stepping up and helping out a fellow member in dire need. Without those guys I cannot imagine how I would have made it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Before you take out other parts, try to find a shop with a Hunter Road Force wheel/tire balancing machine.

I bet you one of your tires is out of round and replacing every part including the whole truck won't fix it !

Unbeknownst to most people a lot of new tires are simply out of round from the factory or become out of round as they wear. All the balancing in the world will not help until you figure out how far out of round it is.

·
2,444 Posts
That was me. What loads of fun that was. Real Men of Genius move reinstalling the driver's side axle with a hammer. Yep, a hammer. I know, I know, I know.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Yes Highwaylizard I new exactly who it was I just don't like to name names. :) Hope you are doing well.

I would like to agree with Boosted, before going through all the other work maybe check out the Hunter balancing... especially since Portugue's experience seems to point in the tire direction. Although if you have taken them to more than one place and each one has said the tires/wheels are in good shape... certainly that would be easier and cheaper than taking other things a part. Always start with the simple solutions first.

I just went through that experience with some after market rims and out of round tires. I never felt any rear end vibration, only steering wheel wobble. I only had one tire that was bad (severely out of round). I now have the stock rims and new tires on. Still have a very minor wobble which is haunting me at this point. You could have more than one tire out.

Of course that is just my experience with it.... and I don't have a lot of differential experience. I just don't think a seal would cause vibration and that is why I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
This probably won't solve your problem, but a similar thing happened to me once:
I bought a 76 Blazer from a guy up the street back in 82. I hadn't had it long and when I hit a bump going about 40, it felt like the truck was almost out of control. A friend(?) of mine said that was normal for 4WD, but it couldn't have been. I finally found that the screw that holds the front leaf springs together had sheared its head off and the leafs were loose. I'm almost sure the guy up the street sold it when it started doing that. The Blazer still lives, but not the old fart who sold it to me.
Maybe thoroughly check out the attachments holding the axle in place?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the ideas guys! And HighwayLizard, that is above and beyond what I would have expected off of a forum! I also have been catching up on yard work, and birthday parties for little ones. I will be sure to take you up on it, and I greatly appreciate it!

I have already had it Hunter balanced by one shop, but should I take it to another shop just to be safe? Also, could this be an alignment issue at all? I haven't touched the alignment at all, but would be more than willing to get it set at the user standards around here if it could help.

I am also going to try and check over all the bolts/nuts under the chassis this weekend, I have checked the tranny mounts and they were fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, you really make this a good place to turn to, and a great reason to keep the little yota!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just for an update, this is factory unchanged truck, no suspension work or anything. Only thing not stock is the CD Player and Sirius. If I can get the bugs worked out, then the updates will start.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
rotate in your spare tire to the affected side and see if that helps. then switch it to the other side. (or borrow someone's tires)

You can check out your axle for true with a set of home made v-blocks. Just cut two identical v's into two blocks of wood. then spin the shaft on them. you can use a level placed either over or under the shaft the check for any deflection. It would be ideal if you had a dial gauge.
If you don't feel up to the task, take it to any machine shop. They should be able to do it within minutes.

I agree that the seal should not cause any problems. When you jack up the rear and spin the tires, do you notice any binding? that may indicate a bearing problem (or brake problem)

Also, have someone drive behind you and see if they notice anything, such as worn shocks.

keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update - I found a spot where a drive shaft weight had fallen off, so I took the driveshaft off and took it a town over to be balanced and u joints changed. He also said the carrier bearing needs to be replaced, so I hope all of this fixes my problem. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - Big chunk of change later, new u joints, new center support bearing, and a freshly balanced driveshaft.

And the problem is still there. I am just at a loss. I am just going to deal with it and drive it until something breaks.

I am getting married next month and closing on a house at the end of this month, so I can't keep throwing money at stuff that it COULD be. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all of your help guys. I will continue to try and figure it out as I go along and will keep you updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts