Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I purchased the nerf bars from, Hunter Truck Accessories, gives me some photocopied sheet of paper labeled as instructions with my nerf bars. Nothing is labeled and the pictures can't even be deciphered.

To make things worse, I call and email with questions and get crappy responses. At last, they forward me to this online instruction manual for Westin nerf bars. Thing is, mine are not Westin.

It appears that for one, the holes in the frame rails that they call out using are slightly too small of a diamater for the 1/2-13 bolts to fit through. Secondly, the brackets, when attached to the nerf bars and placed against the truck are not close to lining up. And third, it appears that there are fuel lines running on the inside of these frame rails which make installing bolts from behind quite difficult. Also, some sections of the frame rails are closed off from behind and nearly impossible to fit your hand in.

Does anyone here have experience installing nerf bars on a 2006?? I'd appreciate any insight very much!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Listen with nerfs you have to mount the two mounting points on the frame first then hook the tubes to them and after everything is loosely bolted together then you tighten it up. It took me all of about 30 minutes to install my nastas and that was with drinking coffee and listening to music tucked in there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I installed the wheel-to-wheel westins on my 2006 DC recently. I definitely hear what you are saying. It took me a few hours. It took some time to locate the correct holes in the frame to use (the pictures and instructions that I received weren't a whole lot of help. If you line up the bars where you expect them to be mounted then that should give you a general idea of where that brackets go. Just take your time and don't tighten stuff until everything is in place. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is the name of the manufacturer? I had the same problem with a side of Aries bars.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
you get what you pay for. i bought mines for about 110 bucks shipped. the instructions sucked and most bolts didn't even fit or anything. i had to go to home depot and buy a couple of dollars worth of bolts and stuff and it came out right. definitely better than what they shipped it out with. at least they had the right bracket for the driver side front mount.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The drivers side was a bit of a pain, tight working. But NASTA does provide good directions and hardware. I would suggest starting with the passenger side, get the feel for the install without obstructions and fuel lines. The tackle the drivers side.

·
Registered
797 Posts
cosmo if you are using the westin directions then do this..
have someone hold they nerf bar up where it will be mounted to on the front side of the nerf bar then you go to the back side and take a look at what hole in your frame lines up to the rear mount on the nerf bar...

I remember when I put mine on my DC the direction were wrong and I drilled out the hole that was a bit small then when I went to mount the bar I realized the hole that I should be using was back even farther on the frame and ironically it's also the right diameter too :) the directions were wrong

I drilled out the other hole for no reason at all :) but now my truck is super light and I can hang with any 07 Tundra;) j/k
again this was for my 2006 Tundra DC with Westin platinum series nerf bars..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know the manufacturer name. I know they are of Hunter Truck Accessories and sold through Popular Link.

I'm so frustrated. I've spend at least an hour each day this week after work trying to fit everything up. It seems like they gave me nerf bars with holes drilled in the wrong spots. I can't even get everything bolted on hand tight and then try to line it up because the holes in the nerf bars are off by so much. I'd have to turn the brackets 90 degrees to even get near the holes in the nerf bars. I don't even know which holes in the frame rail i'm supposed to use. I've tried just about all of them, and nothing seems to work.

Maybe I'll take it to an accessories shop tomorrow morning. They'll be able to tell right away if these are the right ones or not. I just wish I had some good pics of which holes to use...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Do you have the mounts at the right ends of the truck? I know it's a pita not having clear instructions. Perhaps someone around you has a tundra with nerfs already mounted that you could look at to assist you with mounting yours.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought Westin e-series nerf bars and they came with no installation instructions... just 2 bars. Can't find any installation instructions online either.
part # 23-2405.
too bad they are closed on the weekends :(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Listen with nerfs you have to mount the two mounting points on the frame first then hook the tubes to them and after everything is loosely bolted together then you tighten it up. It took me all of about 30 minutes to install my nastas and that was with drinking coffee and listening to music tucked in there.
Same here the Nastas was an easy installation and after 5 years they still look brand new. Maybe send the ones you have back (if you can get a full refund) and look for a Nasta setup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my 4" stainless Raptor nerf bars. The Westin intructions show the same parts and type of installation as the Raptors.

When I tried following the instructions, it looks like they drew up the plans showing the wrong frame holes for the front/driver's side bracket, but they're actually correct. The bars will work in the frame holes that are illustrated, but you have to modify the driver's side flat backing piece (with the bolt welded to it) that goes inside the frame.

The problem is that the directions don't allow for the indented part of the frame (a couple inches away from the frame holes going toward the back of the truck) which causes that flat piece to sit crooked against the inner frame. This causes the protruding bolt to also be crooked and not give you enough thread to mount the bracket properly or to even tighten it down without the possibility of bending or cracking the bolt off completely.

My solution was simple. If you take that backing piece I'm talking about and put it in a vise and make a couple of bends to compensate for that indented part of the frame, the front bracket on the driver's side will bolt on straight and the rest of the installation (rear driver's side bracket and entire passenger side) is easy.

You only need to bend the backing piece enough to get past the indented section of the frame and then straight toward the back of the truck. Don't get hung up on trying to make a perfect piece that follows the frame all the way around the indentation and back to being flat against the frame again because then you won't have enough length to stick your arm in there and work with it beacuse you'll lose a couple of inches in overall length. I had to use channel locks to hold the piece after doing the proper bend to get it to fit, because I lost that length trying to make it work.

I wish I could draw it out for you but I'm not that computer saavy, which is why I'm over-explaining it, so you know what I'm talking about.

One last IMPORTANT note: Make sure to mark off the distance from the bolt to where the indented frame starts and start your bend about 3/4 of an inch before the marking where the indented frame actually starts. The reason for this is because that flat piece is pretty darned thick and you won't be able to get an easy or sharp bend to it, especially if you use a standard hammer like I did.

Good luck and let us know if it works out for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Cosmo, did you try my advice?.... or did you send the bars back?

We haven't heard from you in a few days and I was wonderin' how it worked out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts