Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for running boards or nerf bars on the Tacoma? Any pics on this site to view options? I've never had running boards or nerf bars on any of my previous trucks so a few helpfull suggestions would be welcomed.:) I know I want a chromed stainless finish but that's as far as I've gotten.

·
Registered
252 Posts
first question you have to ask yourself
do you want them for looks or use?

a lot of folks with the tube type say that they don't really help and are in a wrong position.

now i have a slight disability
i got the N-fab step bars and they work for me

some say they offer more protection for door dings in parking lots, but they really don't stick out far enough to offer much protection unless you have a 6 in lift

a lot of the cheap chrome ones will get rust spots, and remember where they are so lots of gravel and rocks will be hitting them so will ding the chrome too

i am NOT saying "don't get them"
what i suggest is you see a truck at your height and see if they will help, look cool for you and you want them

if you look around the tacoma forums there is usually a few used ones for sale , so maybe not that good a thing?

just my 2 cents worth

PS they do make it easier to wash the roof of the truck too ;-D

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've got the Westin Platinum nerf bars. Had them on for about 5 years now. No complaints. A little dirty in this shot, but you get an idea of size and looks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first question you have to ask yourself
do you want them for looks or use?

a lot of folks with the tube type say that they don't really help and are in a wrong position.

now i have a slight disability
i got the N-fab step bars and they work for me

some say they offer more protection for door dings in parking lots, but they really don't stick out far enough to offer much protection unless you have a 6 in lift

a lot of the cheap chrome ones will get rust spots, and remember where they are so lots of gravel and rocks will be hitting them so will ding the chrome too

i am NOT saying "don't get them"
what i suggest is you see a truck at your height and see if they will help, look cool for you and you want them

if you look around the tacoma forums there is usually a few used ones for sale , so maybe not that good a thing?

just my 2 cents worth

PS they do make it easier to wash the roof of the truck too ;-D
PHANTOM,

Thanks, that's exactly the type of responce I was hoping for. I really only want them for looks. I don't have any issues with getting in and out of the truck although maybe I'd be surprised if I had 'em. I don't think I'd be happy if they stuck out too far. I would hope there would be some adjustment in or out, up or down. I thought I'd adjust them in close to the body but I can also see where that would just end up with all kinds of marks on the body from kicking it.:td:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the Westin Platinum nerf bars. Had them on for about 5 years now. No complaints. A little dirty in this shot, but you get an idea of size and looks.
MOOSE,

Thanks for the pic. Nice looking truck. What size diameter are those? It's hard to tell from the pic, are those round or oval? I like your wheels too. What size and brand are they?
It really helps to see the bars on the truck. Looking at the pics in the adds, they are never on the truck you own!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Since you're also concerned with how far they stick out, below is a pic from the rear. They don't stick out far. I'd say the inside of the step is aligned with the door sill. Daughter and wife use them to get in the truck. We all use them in the snow. You can stand on them and tap the snow out of the treads of the shoes (and off the sides) before getting in the truck. They're 4 inch round. Lifetime warranty. That's one of the nice things with chrome, it doesn't chip off from rocks. Without the front mudflaps, we hear a lot of "tinging" when leaving gravel/off-road areas. I hear the Westin brand nerf bars come in multiple sizes and quality levels now. Platinum 4" were the only ones available years ago (had them on 5 years now along with the tonneau).

Wheels are 16". I was really tired of the tire balancing issues over the years with the stock wheels (and even with the haweka adapter it's still a PITA). So when I was getting my tires at America's Tire in April/May, I saw the wheels. I initially wanted the Dick Cepek DC2 wheels, but $$ was a factor. I paid $90 per wheels for these. After selling the 5 1/2 year old stock wheels (with scratches all over them), I came out even better on the deal in the end for new wheels. I really do like them. Wasn't too sure about it at first, but they do look good (much better in person than in the picks).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at the Cepek wheels too. I don't think you said the brand of wheels that are on your truck in the pic. It's hard to tell from the pics, but they look different looking at them from the back. From the back they look like they would be black and silver (polished maybe). From the side view they look like they'd be chrome. Are those the same wheels?

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at those this past weekend on the Discount Tire site. There's a couple others on there I liked too. How long have you had them and how are they holding up? Are you running them in the snow too? I really like 'em. Like the price too!:tu:

·
Registered
663 Posts
They're holding up pretty good. I just got them in April. A few scratches from driving through brush on the narrow forest roads, but I had a ton of scratches on the stock wheels. They've gotten a lot of off-road use this summer and have hauled some very heavy loads (several loads of gravel, wood, drywall). They've seen a few snowstorms in May and I plan to run them all year (We don't have the salt problems here in CA like back east because the salt kills the trees along the roads which is a no-no for environmental impacts. So its use is limited.). All in all, they're holding up just fine. Completely pleased with them.

·
Vendor
276 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts