Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some ONKI Nerf Boards and was attempting to put them on this weekend. I had to stop because I was being instructed to drill a hole through the "pinch weld" where the outside sheet metal is pinched/folded together with the inside sheet metal skin under the door. The company rep assured me it was stong enough to handle the weight with three points of attachment.

My question is: Do I really want to drill into the sheet metal at the point where the most road salt is going to collect? I just saw a van drive by today and it had running boards attached to cottage cheese rust... It just doesn't seem like an appropriate place to drill. It is very thin in the first place. There wouldn't be much metal left on either side of the hole after I drill it.

I've seen pictures of other applications on other year toyotas, but my 05 AC just doesn't have attachment points available... Am I over thinking this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are not overthinking it at all. Anytime you create an opening for elements to enter, there will be a problem. A pinch weld application is not necessary. There are plenty of other bars out there that do not require drillilng.

·
Registered
31 Posts
agreed, I just put a pair of Nasta bars on my 06 DC yesterday and it required no drilling, it was on in less than an hour!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked at PPete's pictures and PM'd him. Really helpful.

My problem is is that I have a different year than his and for some reason the very handy and well placed mounting bolts that he has do not exist on mine. I'm going to go to the dealership and see if they would show me or tell me what they do...w/o charging me a consultation fee!

Otherwise...My father-in-law is a welder/mechanic. He can pretty much do anything, so I'm sure he'll fashion up some stiff mounting hardware that works with what is available.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts