Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I own a 2010 Sandy Beach 5.7V8 CrewMax. I was driving to walmart one day and a guy pulled out in front of me making a left turn. I hit my brakes to avoid hitting him and gave him an earful of my horn. I got to walmart and parked far away from the other vehicles like always to avoid door dings. Two hours later im done shopping and as i walk to my truck i noticed 2 lines on the drivers side. At first i thought it was just dirt cuz i havnt washed my truck in awhile. As i get next to the driver side door i see that someone keyed my truck, not just the door but from the front headlight all the way to the rear brake light! I WAS PISSED!!! Im thinking who/why someone would do this?! LightBulb!!bling! It had to be that guy i honked at! Who else could it be?There was nothing on the truck before i went into the store... So i go back into walmart to talk to the manager. I told him what happened and asked if there was anyway i could see or get a copy of the video camera from the parking lot? Manager says "Only law enforcement are allowed to look at that stuff" "Don't expect walmart to pay for any damages to your truck". I told him i didnt expect that i just wanted some kind of evidence when i made a police report. Manager says "Police got more important things to do than hunt down people that key other peoples vehicles". At this point i just walk out of the store! Today i bought some touch up paint from the dealership. Tomorrow im gona try it and see if it works. Now im scared to use my horn at all! Who knows what the next guy might do to me if i honked at him for any reason. Be careful and drive safe!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The key to properly dealing with road rage is to have more horsepower than your opponent. The other guy was a Corvette?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Personally, I get much more joy out of catching an a$$hole that keys a truck like a childish moron, than locking up some dirt-bag heroin junky...

Make a Police report immediately, before Walmart recycles the video (most of those are now recorded on a hard-drive, and unless they "bookmark" the record for a specific reason, it usually gets recycled within a month or so).

With the report you'll have the following:
A) Insurance claim, worst case is you pay your deductible for the fix;
B) The possibility that they'll be able to get the guy's plate & track him down. In Michigan, this is how we break-down the MDOP (Malicious Destruction of Property) statute (other states are similar):
1) $0-200 in damage = Misdemeanor, up to 93 days in jail, or a fine up to $500 (or both);
2) $200-1,000 in damage = Misdemeanor, up to 1 yr in jail, or a fine up to $2,000 (or both);
3) $1,000-20,000 in damage = Felony, up to 5 yrs in Prison, or fines up to $10,000 (or both);

AND - he'll have to pay restitution to you & your insurance company.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Interesting first post....
That sucks man! I bet this touch up paint is going to look terrible. I would take it to a body shop and see if they can buff it out or something. Good luck to you and I hope they catch the dirtbag!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That sucks...the remedy would be to avoid Walmart and their parking lots at all costs...keep on honkin'.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Which walmart was it? The one on Charleston and Nellis?

If you want, I can paint your truck when I get back to Vegas... I am a pro.. ;)

Sucks though, people have no respect noe a days....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry to hear that man... Hope they catch the a-hole. Being that I'm in the same city, I'm interested in knowing which walmart location and a description of the car... so I don't honk at that person, if needed.

Channel 13 news just did a report on the rise of road rage as the temperature heats up. More people whipping out guns too to deal with it. Be careful out there....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to write something bad because I really hate that sh!t...just some scared punk arse that does that...okay, I'm getting riled up again, so I suggest Popo's route instead of what I was going to post.

Really sucks man, good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I quit shopping at Wal-mart years ago for that reason and for many others.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Only time I ever parked in a Walmart lot I got keyed, or else someone rubbed the sharp edge of a shopping cart handle or something down a good portion of the length of my truck. Not to mention on that same trip a fist fight broke out in the store and I was also stuck waiting in line behind the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in some sort of wierd sheer leotard and thong outfit that I don't think any sane person who lookes like she did would have left the house in. Since then I rarely shop there but if I must I refuse to let it sit there. There is a Blockbuster and a Supermarket lot bordering it, I'll park in one of them where it's clear and walk over while all the lazy fat people who key vehicles, and throw car doors and shopping carts around without paying attention squeeze as close to the front door as they can.

Honking, I consider a free speech issue and will never stop. But generally if I'm close to pulling into a lot or stopping somewhere I try to be aware of where the idiot is going and if he may be pulling into the same lot so I know what I might have to deal with. But not honking really isn't an option. Around here if I did not ever honk it would probably be quite common for me to be stuck sitting through whole green lights cycles never moving. No joke. In a world of zombie daydreaming cell phone talking drivers and 5 second green light cycles, the horn is just as much of a necessity for me as my seatbelt.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
So sorry to hear. Man, that really does stink. Who knows, it might have been that guy but maybe not. I agree, get the police to watch the video and see if they can find anything. Hey, it's worth a shot even if it is a pian in the butt. I try not to shop at wal mart. I know it's tough sometimes and they may be the only show in town but I used to work in loss prevention at wal mart and compared to other stores, they see more than their fair share of dirt bags. When Sam Walton was alive he had an admirable vision but when the kids took over, there went any hope of "keep America working" mentality. I really am sorry to hear Steve. You really might want to PM Gutz? Good luck!!!!

No joke. I think people actually learn in driver's ed, green light = wait. green light + loud honking sound from behind you = go.

That is so stinking true!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
That sucks, you should have just hit him. I want to get a nice set of air horns to really get their attention. People here in orlando dont know how to drive, all those tourist. Like Popo said file a report with the police, touch up paint will not look good all the way down your truck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
...I was also stuck waiting in line behind the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in some sort of wierd sheer leotard and thong outfit that I don't think any sane person who lookes like she did would have left the house in...
Seems to be a common occurence for Walmart...

To the OP, maybe you can find the perp in the pictures at the address below :D

Funny Pictures at WalMart Nevada

·
Registered
58 Posts
That does suck...noone should have to spend 2 hours in WalMart!

Going to walmart is like serving penance, in purgatory. I quit going, to hard to conceal the bushmaster. :devil:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the rear quarter keyed last year. I made the mistake of trying to sand and polish the scratch before applying clear coat. I ended up sanding through the clear but not through the color. I should have just applied the clear and then sanded smooth and polish. The repair would have been invisible and cost me about ten bucks. BTW I am talking about two part clear coat and a spray gun, not rattle can paint.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sorry to hear about your "experiance". If it makes you feel any better I actually got a ticket for honking my horn, which violated the terms of my driving probation..........

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had the rear quarter keyed last year. I made the mistake of trying to sand and polish the scratch before applying clear coat. I ended up sanding through the clear but not through the color. I should have just applied the clear and then sanded smooth and polish. The repair would have been invisible and cost me about ten bucks. BTW I am talking about two part clear coat and a spray gun, not rattle can paint.

With that stuff if you don't have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, the ideal options are going to a professional, settling for a real noticable line of touch-up paint, or doing nothing. Once you take sand paper to something like that the main purpose it serves is generally to expand the area that needs to be repaired.

I only know because I once had a truck with some minor scratches on one side that somehow became one big glob of dull, wavy touch-up paint. Lesson learned: Always attack the problem with the least aggressive measure available first and if you get to sandpaper or spray cans and you've never practiced with it before, STOP.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts