Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2006 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD. It was one of last 06 models produced, with a Dec build date, and a 12/17/06 dealer delivery date. One of things that really bothers me is the weak body panels on the pickup box. I had 4 models to choose from. Blue, white, desert sand, and red. I choose the desert sand just because it seemed to have less dings/imperfections in the body panels. Even though i'm really happy with my purchase, after washing it the other day I noticed quite a few "waves" in the paint on the driver side box (mostly above the gas cap door) I looked down the passenger side and it didn't seem as noticable, though there were some. Also I already noticed 2 paint "chips or imperfections" in the same area, but none on the passenger side. Has anyone else noticed these waves on the new models? I'm going to the dealer today to check out the reamining DC's left, to see if they have the same problems. Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not sure about the waves, but mine had a few chips that exposed the light underlayer :(. If you search on paint problems here at TS, you'll find plenty of other threads with similar comments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you can call them rolls or ripples rather then waves. They are not quite like the waves after a repainted car. However my uncle has a 2005 4x4 AC, and he was showing his buddy how cheap the box is (obviously he doesn't care what his truck looks like) so he pushed very slightly with his palm against the side of the box, and you guessed it a deep crease!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I guess you can call them rolls or ripples rather then waves. They are not quite like the waves after a repainted car. However my uncle has a 2005 4x4 AC, and he was showing his buddy how cheap the box is (obviously he doesn't care what his truck looks like) so he pushed very slightly with his palm against the side of the box, and you guessed it a deep crease!!
I see those waves in my mirror every day. It's annoying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a nice little crease in the driver's side door. You cannot see it unless you look at the door from a shallow angle. I noticed this within 1000 miles of owning the truck. Oh well, could have been worse. My 2006 Miata actually has a big paint run right below the antenna. Don't know how I missed that when I bought the car...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a few of these around the rear door handles of my '06 DC. Whats worse, I have two equal size/length dings on the bed just below the rail, about 2" long, on either side of the bed about 2 feet behind the rear door. I have NO idea how these got there - they are way too symmetrical to have been caused by someone. Anyone else???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SportRally,

I have those same 2" creases behind the rear doors as well. After I 1st got my 06 DC, I noticed them right away. I looked at the other DC's still on the lot, and they had them as well. Also I was there yesterday, and the remaining 2 DC's also had the same waves, (just above the fuel door).
It appears all these imperfections are common with all. I previously had owned Chevy's and they had common quirks across the board!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts