Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Taco 6 cyl Auto 4X4 access cab. I have an issue I want to know if anyone else is experiencing so that I know that its not really normal. When I'm driving along, and come to a light or stop sign, and I'm slowing down. As the speedometer reaches about 22 mph I feel a vibration. Its almost like the motor is being bogged down. I'm looking at the tach and it doesn't seem to be punching lower at that point like the motor is being bogged down. It only lasts until speed gets down to about 18 mph then it goes away. I'm not sure of its motor related, or maybe the trans is not down shifting early enough. I also experience a little vibration when I first start off from a stop. Its a normal take off not jamming the gas or anything. It feels like when your starting off in snow and the posi rear is gripping in. But the pavements are clean and dry when it happens. Anyone else experiencing this? I thought maybe it just needed to be broken in as I felt it from the day I bought it, and I now have 3000 miles on the truck and its still there the same as the first day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've noticed the vibration when starting from a stop in my 2007 DC 4x4. I felt it from day one and I now have over 7,000 miles on it and it's still there. :td: I don't remember feeling it when I took my test drive, but who knows... I don't know if it's normal or would be considered within spec, but I'm gonna ask about it when I go in for my next oil change.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah me too Bravo. I've got off next Friday and wanted to get the oil and filter done so I told them I wanted that checked too. We'll see what others say if any.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PRRDave: i have an 07 double cab Manual tranny and i have the same problem. it seems to be a brake thing. im gonna get it checked next time im in for service. sorry im not much help

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you still feel the vibration in 4WD? Where do you feel the vibration? It sounds like maybe a bad electronic program on your transmission. I've had my 07' since December and don't have of the conditions you've described.
I have a 2007 Taco 6 cyl Auto 4X4 access cab. I have an issue I want to know if anyone else is experiencing so that I know that its not really normal. When I'm driving along, and come to a light or stop sign, and I'm slowing down. As the speedometer reaches about 22 mph I feel a vibration. Its almost like the motor is being bogged down. I'm looking at the tach and it doesn't seem to be punching lower at that point like the motor is being bogged down. It only lasts until speed gets down to about 18 mph then it goes away. I'm not sure of its motor related, or maybe the trans is not down shifting early enough. I also experience a little vibration when I first start off from a stop. Its a normal take off not jamming the gas or anything. It feels like when your starting off in snow and the posi rear is gripping in. But the pavements are clean and dry when it happens. Anyone else experiencing this? I thought maybe it just needed to be broken in as I felt it from the day I bought it, and I now have 3000 miles on the truck and its still there the same as the first day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flyman, I'm in 2WD, any type of weather, wet or dry. I'll try 4WD to see if it happens when engaged. Also had not considered the brakes, so I'll make a point of getting off the pedal at that point and see if anything chnages. I'm leaning towards a trans tweek, bad trans sensor or some thing having to do with the trans myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 DC Prerunner. So far, haven't noticed any vibration or hesitation from the engine. Only had it a couple weeks though. Will see what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried slowing down without using the brakes past the 20mph mark. It took a while, but the vibration started ealier at 30mph, and ended with an obvious downshift at 20mph. I'm thinking its something with the trans controls at this point. I also tested with the truck in 4WD and the vibration is much less noticeable, but still there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Take it in, this is definately not normal. Sounds transmission related. However, I'm guessing the dealer will probably try to tell you this normal. If so, request to test drive another vehicle on the lot like yours to show it's not normal.
I tried slowing down without using the brakes past the 20mph mark. It took a while, but the vibration started ealier at 30mph, and ended with an obvious downshift at 20mph. I'm thinking its something with the trans controls at this point. I also tested with the truck in 4WD and the vibration is much less noticeable, but still there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 07 DC 2WD TRD SPORT, and have had the vibrations, at the same speeds. i have learned to deal with it although i'd like it to stop. if you find a solution, lemme know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I experience a slight shutter in the transmission as I slow down -- the truck appears to be shifting to lower and lower gears and seems to engage a bit with one or more on the way down. I'm going to bring it up when I bring my 07 in for its first oil change.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I experience a slight shutter in the transmission as I slow down -- the truck appears to be shifting to lower and lower gears and seems to engage a bit with one or more on the way down. I'm going to bring it up when I bring my 07 in for its first oil change.
The automatic tranny definitely downshifts as you're slowing down ... and it seems to do it more if you are heavy on the brakes ... even on level roads. I've noticed going down steep hills that if you hit the brakes fast and hard the tranny will shift down and the RPMs on the tach jump up pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Mine downshifts when I slow down, but it is almost always nice and smooth. I get a slight shudder on a downshift about once every two or three months, and lately not even that often. Some people seem to have this problem a lot, up to the point of it happening on most downshifts. Since mine almost never does it I would say there is something wrong with those trannies - but good luck ever getting a dealer to agree or do anything about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I'm new to site and own an 07 Tacoma that I'm really not pleased with.
My old 88 Dodge Dakota was a better driver.
The Tacoma shutters on the downshift at about 22mph, and an annoying vibration anytime it's in gear.( Felt mostly in the steering wheel)
Of course the dealer says everything is in spec and they don't feel the problem.

Anyone else have similar conditions?

·
Registered
898 Posts
The Tacoma shutters on the downshift at about 22mph, and an annoying vibration anytime it's in gear.( Felt mostly in the steering wheel)
I've noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel around 2,000 to 2,200 RPM and it gets a little stronger with more engine load - like when going up a steep hill with the engine in that RPM range.

I think it's just the natural harmonic vibrations of the V6 engine. My old Toyota truck with a V6 has the same vibe. But it's very smooth at any other RPM, and is also pretty smooth at 2,000 to 2,200 if the engine isn't under much load.

If you feel a vibration all the time then something else is going on. Does your steering wheel vibration go away if you pop the tranny in neutral while going down the road?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hello, I'm new to site and own an 07 Tacoma that I'm really not pleased with.
My old 88 Dodge Dakota was a better driver.
Of course the dealer says everything is in spec and they don't feel the problem.

Anyone else have similar conditions?
"My old 88 Dodge Dakota was a better driver" , you'll have to explain the logic underlying that conclusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The engine vibration and the shutter on the downshift are definitely related to each other.
When first starting out from a cold start the engine is smooth and the transmission shifts effortlessly on both the upshift and the downshift. At idle the engine is smooth, same at 1500 rpm. At least for the first 10 minutes or so. After the engine reaches normal operating temperature it picks up a vibration and the shutter on the downshift appears, albeit intermittent.
Yesterday, I got to put a couple of hundred miles on the truck. After the first 10 miles or so, and up on the highway, the vibration started up and never quit. After a hundred miles of driving one way I wasnt looking forward to the return trip.
The shutter on downshift almost feels like it related to the torque converter but with the newer electronic trans I don't know if there still is a torque converter? Since the engine will run smoothly on occasion, I suspect the ECM programing may be at fault or too wide a range on one of the sensors may be causing the problem.
I'm guessing here as I don't have much experience with the newer vehicles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The dealer will say it's normal because it is normal compared to other '05+ Tacos. They all do it, some just moreso than others. IMHO, it's in the programming of the transmission- the truck is slowing down and the trans. hasn't released the torque converter clutch yet and the engine is just beginning lug down. You can prove it to yourself by driving two footed- do your braking with your left foot and as your slowing down for a stop, ever so slightly depress the throttle with your right. The shudder will disapear imediately. I've talked to Toyota about this and they feel this is considered "normal operation". Appearently, the little nippers don't have the same driving habits that "normal suburban white guys" do. Have you noticed that almost all of the driving complaints(driveline related) that we have occur driving between 30&50mph, up and down slight changes in grade and "coasting" up to stop signs? I guess in the "motherland", you drive with one pedal or the other mashed at all times. I've proven this with my truck- the harder you drive it, the better it behaves, not accounting for the decreased fuel mileage and increased wear on the components. Until Toyota starts to hire middle-aged white suburban guys to design their trucks, this is the way they WILL be built.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts