Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am longtime toyota fan and the owner of a 92 landcruiser. I was always impressed with the my LC ability to keep going. Had my heart set on a new Tundra hoping it would be as bullet proof as my cruiser. I just bought a 2010 silver sky metallic limited tundra, I was grinning ear to ear for a couple of weeks until I noticed a dent in the rear passenger door. While I was shopping I considered a used tundra but I noticed that dents were pretty common, so I went with a new one. On closer examination I noticed that the metal was really thin and did not require much to flex it. When comparing it to the the LC I was shocked to feel such an obvious difference. Needless to say I am very dissapointed that a 47 thousand dollar machine would get dented so easily, I really expected more from toyota. I don't doubt that the motor and transmission is still amazing, but a truck should be more dent resistant. I have not even used it for any kind of real work yet, just drive it to work and back and am real careful where I park. Doesn't even look like a car door ding, just like someone leaned on it and bent the thin metal. I guess toyota was trying to find ways to cut corners (bad place to start!!!!).
IT IS A TRUCK !!!!! It is supposed to be durable before anything else. I wouldnn't be surprised if Toyota is using the same gauge metal it uses on the Camry and Prius as it does on the Tundra. What a disappointment.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
That's too bad for you.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Make a Police report and have your insurance fix it.

It's a common complaint of most new cars/trucks these days. I'm sure you've heard the colloquial term "They don't build 'em like they used to" --- But yes, the sheet metal is definitely thinner, and so is the paint. The truck is great otherwise, and I doubt you'll find many other issues to be concerned with.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
He's right, but all the others do the same thing.

As for the metal itself, two words: baked potatos!! :devil:

·
Registered
918 Posts
As I said in the other thread...Your Tundra makes what, 100 more HP, 100 more pounds of Tq than your LC, and probably gets the same or better fuel mileage. The weight savings has to come from somewhere. Thin sheetmetal is a common complaint on new trucks. These light weight aluminum body panels are part of how they give us BWM like acceleration that we demand from half ton pickups nowadays while keeping our mileage out of the single digit range.

Continue to be careful with the parking, maybe get steps that protrude from the body line by a couple inches. Paintless dent removal is 50-75$ PER PANEL so you may want to wait a bit. As it may be worth doing once per year as you accumulate enough of them to get your money's worth rather than paying to fix one then having another show up on the same panel. I think old people who push on the door to support themselves when getting out of cars and children who pay little attention are the biggest offenders. I think trucks probably get them more because someone squeezing in next to you looks over and is annoyed to see your massive beast that gives them less space to exit their vehicle and they are less careful getting out of their cars. Add in the fact that alot of places make spots too narrow to cram more vehicles into the lot.

I used to get frustrated with every single tiny ding too. Then stupid stuff would happen like I'd be driving on a windy day and a falling piece of tree branch would nail my hood as I was passing by and cause a ding. I think it may have been God's way of saying no point sweating the small stuff. Now as long as they're only tiny ones and not too noticable I don't worry about it. And once I get a couple of them on a panel I'll try to schedule PDR at my dealership when it's in for an oil change. I try to park in the back of the lot and leave the spots close to the door for the lazy people as long as my fiance is not with me to complain about the walk. I keep her solidly IN a spot, as odds are someone will more likely focus on it and pull an a-hole move if you're over the line taking two spots than if you're in one spot. Oh yeah and if I'm at a supermarket or Home Depot and I see shopping carts of any kind sitting anywhere near my parking spot when I get out I'll push them onto the grass or put them back.

Notice, when people park next to you and they see you sitting there in your truck they'll get out of their vehicle like they're performing some sort of surgical operation. When they think your truck is empty that is not quite the case.
You can't stop this unless you don't drive it.

To answer the poll question, yes, but not because of this because this complaint is common on modern vehicles. I think they've been trying so hard to get so big so fast that they've had quality issues come up. However they are acknowledging this and trying to work through it and responding WAY better to what's going on than any of the Big 3 ever did.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...Then stupid stuff would happen like I'd be driving on a windy day and a falling piece of tree branch would nail my hood as I was passing by and cause a ding. I think it may have been God's way of saying....
Seriously man, I'm going to make sure I'm never even in the same ZIP code as you - you're Dangerous! :rofl:

·
Registered
146 Posts
i just take two parking spaces everywhere i go lol...

i do agree the metal is too thin, i put two dents in my '08 DC when climbing out of the bed. all the new trucks are the same way, not just the Tundra's

edit-- hopefully you didnt pay 47k for the truck, or i feel even worse for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts