Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Tundra 5.7 TRD Package and the mileage is fantastic! About 19 around town. EPA fuel economy estimates are never right because the sticker said 14 or 15 in the city and 18 on the highway. Where I live it's mixed driving and I still get 19. What does the brand new 4.6 get? I wonder if a cold air intake would increase the mileage even more.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow, what wasthe sticker on your truck? mine was 13/17 I am getting around 12 around town 16 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
First, congrats on the new truck and welcome to TS!

If you use fuel that contains NO ethanol (which is hard to find now), your mileage will be a bit better.

Keep in mind that when the truck is brand new or if the battery has been disconnected recently, the computer mileage readout will be inaccurate, usually showing a higher number than reality until it gets some miles on it. If on the other hand, you have a couple of thousand miles on the truck and its still showing 19 MPG, then that's really good.

I average 14.5 MPG in the winter and 16 MPG in the summer where I live. Things like altitude and temperature can also affect fuel economy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seadragon's comments are what I experienced as well. I was excited getting the same kind of mileage numbers you are getting when I first had the truck. Now with 16k on it, I get 15.5 during the winter and 16.5 during the summer for a mix of city/highway.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I get around 13-14 city and 15-17 highway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have around 2k miles on my 2010 DC 5.7L 4x4. I've been getting around 14-15 city driving (depending on how easy I am on the gas pedal) and just over 17 on highway using regular unleaded. I found that if I turn off my cruise control on highway, I can get better mileage, by coasting downhill and not revving the engine so much uphill.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How are you getting 19 mpg in the city with a 5.7?? I consider myself a light foot but I still can't manage to break 14-15 mpg in the city. I get around 20-22 on the highway, cruising right around 68 mph on flat TX roads.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My personal best with my 09 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 was 18.7 calculated by hand, all highway, cruise at a tad under 65, and never really hit it hard the whole road trip. It was mostly flat too. This was with the fiance and about 150 pounds of stuff in the truck. The two motors are really returning almost identical real world mileage. You have to account for the fact that most buyers of the 4.6 don't understand how you have to drive in order to match the EPA numbers. They just get the small motor and figure it means you can do 75 on the highway all day and drive like everybody else on the road and get 20 mpg. A 5.7 owner who knows how to drive for mileage can just about match the 4.6's real world mpg numbers cause at light throttle his motor doesn't work as hard.

As far as I can see the only real benefit to the 4.6 is lower initial purchase price. Some will tell you they spend much of their time sitting in traffic and don't get to hit it too hard so a 5.7 is a waste. I make sure to make the most out of mine. Everybody has different priorities but I like good acceleration in my vehicles. It's a big investment I made that I'll have for awhile. Too much money I'm already spending to say I don't want 70 extra horses and 70 extra horsepower for 1500 bucks or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mileage readout has been the same for several hundred miles now. I'm not sure why it would get worse as the miles on the truck increases. I thought it was supposed to get better with time/miles. I do drive with a semi-light foot (definitely not heavy)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I get 18 city thanks to the mpg buttons

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I got a bit over 17 in January (all down hill on the way to Phoenix) and just under 16 running 70 earlier this week.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Enjoy the fake new truck mileage. It won't last. With the crappy gas in the Inland Northwest, I get about 14-15 mpg in the city and 17-18 on the highway. My best tank ever was 21 mpg on real gas that had none of that oxygenated or alcohol crap in it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The mileage readout has been the same for several hundred miles now. I'm not sure why it would get worse as the miles on the truck increases. I thought it was supposed to get better with time/miles. I do drive with a semi-light foot (definitely not heavy)
I should clarify what I meant. The "calculated by hand" mileage doesn't actually get any worse. Its just that the computer readout becomes more accurate after it gets some miles on it. When the truck is brand spanking new or the battery has been disconnected, the computer is somewhat "guessing" the mileage until it gets actual miles under its belt and can calculate it more accurately. The transmission even learns your driving habits and adjusts things like shift points etc. which can also affect mileage.

There were threads in the past where people claimed the mileage was better after disconnecting the battery. But this was only because the computer had been reset and essentially was starting over again. Once some miles were built up, the readout went back to normal.

If you were to calculate the mileage by hand, it should be consistent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said earlier, the mileage has been the same the whole time I've had the truck and I haven't reset the computer since I got it. The truck now has 1000 miles on it. Why would it get worse as miles increase? I thought it was supposed to get better when it's broken in (5-10k miles).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Like I said earlier, the mileage has been the same the whole time I've had the truck and I haven't reset the computer since I got it. The truck now has 1000 miles on it. Why would it get worse as miles increase? I thought it was supposed to get better when it's broken in (5-10k miles).
Calculate it manually and compare.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My commute to work is about 54 miles back and forth. More than half is stop and go traffic during heavily commute hours. My 4.6L give the very consisting 18.4 MPG and getting better every day. My truck is still in the break in period (~3K miles). Hopefully, by summer, my MPG will be around 19.

I traded my ’03 Nissan Frontier for this 2010 DC 4.6L and love it. it consumes less gas than 03 Frontier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe you are lucky and have the magic Tundra that gets 4 miles per gallon better than everyone else:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a H2 that seemed to get 12.2MPG everywhere. When it came time to get rid of it I looked at Ford and Toyota. Toyota treated me right from the start and as I compared the trucks I realized that I got more bang for my buck out of Toyota. Being beaten to death by the H2 on gas the 4.6 looked attractive to me with the sticker EPA MPG. I bought it and haven't regretted it one bit. Keep in mind it is a street truck only. I don't tow and haul very little in the bed. If I were a off road camper towing dude the 5.7L would have been my choice. So far I have 15K on her and am getting 16-17.5 in the city and around 19.5-20 on the highway with the cruise set at 70. Moving on up to 75-76mph I get about 18.5-19. I like the Tundra so much I would like to have 2 of them hehe.

:apc:

·
Registered
23 Posts
2010 DC 2wd 4.6 here

16.5 on in town driving

18-19 on the highway

I love my truck. It has plenty of power, of course more is better, but the 4.6 fit my budget.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts