Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been searching all over creation and can't find the answer, maybe I'm just typing the wrong text in my search.

Anyway, I'm installing a new amp in my truck (2008 SR5 DC non-JBL) to power a couple of subwoofers under the rear seat. The issue is that I can't find anything that tells me exactly which wire coming from the back of the stock stereo is the power-on wire for an amp.

Anybody?

TIA

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'll be honest, whenever I have installed an amp on a factory radio, I just use a fuse tap and tap into any circuit that receives power when the ignition is turned on. So long as your amp is properly grounded, you don't get any whine or hum when the radio is off.
However, I have wondered if tapping into a speaker wire would be sufficient to send a signal to the amp to turn on....

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
However, I have wondered if tapping into a speaker wire would be sufficient to send a signal to the amp to turn on....
I don't think that would work. The amp turn on signal should be a DC level, which is not what you get from the amp outputs to the speakers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, well I used to do all kinds of electronics installations in a car back in the day, but that was like 20 years ago. I thought maybe this power-on wire from the radio called out in the instructions was something special. I'll just use a fuse. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I recently installed an amp to power some speakers in my boat. Look for a blue wire not connected to anything coming from the back of the stereo. This wire should be attached to the remote power on for the amp. I haven't done this to my Tundra yet, but I've installed a couple of other stereos and both of them(different brands) used a blue wire for the amp power on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recently installed an amp to power some speakers in my boat. Look for a blue wire not connected to anything coming from the back of the stereo. This wire should be attached to the remote power on for the amp. I haven't done this to my Tundra yet, but I've installed a couple of other stereos and both of them(different brands) used a blue wire for the amp power on.
Yeah, I'd heard it was a blue wire; problem is there are several blue wires coming from the back of the stereo. I also thought it would be easy to find the one connected to nothing, but they all run together in a bundle up under the dash and then out of sight somewhere so I can't see one that's not connected to anything.

On a positive note; I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to pull the dash apart and get to everything.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The blue wire will be the remote turn on wire for aftermarket radios and of factory radio adapters. Such as those that integrate your factory radio to an aftermarket radio.

However, the factory radio wire colors will be different. I did some research as here is what I found. So you should tap your remote turn on wire for your amp into the BLACK/RED wire coming from the factory headunit. You can always test this w/ a volt meter which should read ~ 12V from this wire when the truck/radio is on and 0 volts when its off.

Battery RED OR RED/GREEN (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accessory GRAY (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BROWN (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination GREEN (+) RADIO HARNESS
Amp Turn On BLACK/RED (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) PINK
LF Speaker (-) VIOLET
RF Speaker (+) GREEN
RF Speaker (-) BLUE
LR Speaker (+) BLACK
LR Speaker (-) YELLOW
RR Speaker (+) RED