Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Tundra. It has less than 46,000 miles. I try to take care of it and always get it serviced at the dealer. My second battery (a dealer Truestart battery) died last week. It was about 4 1/2 years old. It was cranking fine one day and after about five days of no driving and some really low temperatures, it cranked over a few times and died. For about the last week and a half, I have been jumping it off whenever I drive with my portable jumper. I got a new Gold-Duralast battery at Autozone yesterday. They installed it and I got new terminals and felt washers put in because of corrosion. Later that day I was driving and noticed the Check Engine Light on. I don't think it was on after I first cranked it up with the new battery, but I can't be for sure. All I know is that it was on later that day and comes on now whenever I start it up. Is there a reset I don't know about? I was going to have my alternator checked tomorrow, but I haven't noticed any problems that would indicate a bad alterator. The battery indicator on the dash shows good current and hasn't fluctuated. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra. It has less than 46,000 miles. I try to take care of it and always get it serviced at the dealer. My second battery (a dealer Truestart battery) died last week. It was about 4 1/2 years old. It was cranking fine one day and after about five days of no driving and some really low temperatures, it cranked over a few times and died. For about the last week and a half, I have been jumping it off whenever I drive with my portable jumper. I got a new Gold-Duralast battery at Autozone yesterday. They installed it and I got new terminals and felt washers put in because of corrosion. Later that day I was driving and noticed the Check Engine Light on. I don't think it was on after I first cranked it up with the new battery, but I can't be for sure. All I know is that it was on later that day and comes on now whenever I start it up. Is there a reset I don't know about? I was going to have my alternator checked tomorrow, but I haven't noticed any problems that would indicate a bad alterator. The battery indicator on the dash shows good current and hasn't fluctuated. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Go back to Autozone and have them scan for the code (number) that is being thrown. If they can't tell you what it is then post it back here and most likely someone will be able to help.

Have you cleaned the MAF or Throttle body?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
As advised above, find out what code is showing. It may be related to the new battery but I doubt it. More likely, it was the old battery that was messing things up and the code popped up a day late or something.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
+1 On autozone. Code will tell you whats wrong. Don't go to any shop or dealership as they will charge you ~$75 for "diagnostics" what a rip off for OBD scan.

·
Registered
232 Posts
One of my rules of thumb is to check the alternator output any time a battery goes dead. It may be a worn out battery, but the alternator my have been working double time and a half when the battery was not holding up it's end for a period of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts