Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tundra forum,
I know VERY little about putting together audio systems, but I've been reading lots of posts on audio equipment here. I'm ready to dive in...
I have many questions before I jump in and tear my interior up. I have an '03 Tundra Access cab w/ a Pioneer head unit, DEH-P7800MP w/ satellite & ipod connected. I listen to Blues, Classic Rock at a volume that is a little too loud for conversation in the car, but not REAL loud.
1) I need my rear jump seats and think I need a sub so I'm thinking I want the Q-logic sub box under my rear seats. Which 8"subs and how much power?
2) Should I go w/ the Q-forms front the kick panels? Will this take up noticeable foot space? Or should I keep the speaker placement in the door panels?
3) I've seen the 3 way MB Quart speakers praised many times in some older posts, but I see many variations. Which are the specific models I should purchase? If I have a sub, should I change the speaker (5 1/4 - 6 1/2 ) size?
Your patience and help will be appreciated by this newbie.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
is that the q-logic box that holds 2 8" subs? you could build your own and run one 10" i believe.

JL Audio W1v2 subs sound really clean to me....guy at work has them in his F150.

If on a budget, I recommend leaving the rear oem speakers in and run them straight of the h/u. Oh yeah, nice h/u you've got. Just like a concert or watching a music video, you want the sound in front of you (called front stage) so just amp the front speakers. My ears like component speakers over coaxials.

I'd get a clean amp to run the fronts off of and bridge the rear to run the sub(s).

Its not how much power you need, but rather how much true clean power that will make your sub happy.

If you are doing a complete system, you'll not want to skimp on the power or ground wires to the amp. you will also want decent interconnects and speaker wire. hell, you might as well throw some sound deadner down while you are at it.

but seriously. recommending audio equipment to someone else is like recommending a pair of underwear. when it comes down to it, its up to ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah, a single 10" can do just as well as two 8's (all else remaining equal of course). If you have the room, i'd opt for a single 10 b/c you can use the money to invest in better a quality sub and amp.

I'd get a clean amp to run the fronts off of and bridge the rear to run the sub(s).
Yup. If you listen to music at "a volume that is a little too loud for conversation in the car, but not REAL loud.", then a 4-channel amp is all you need. A 75x4 will work great to power a set of components, and then bridge the rears to push about 300W to a 10" sub (or two 8"s).

I recommend leaving the rear oem speakers in and run them straight of the h/u. Oh yeah, nice h/u you've got. Just like a concert or watching a music video, you want the sound in front of you (called front stage)
That's exactly right. Personally, I would not even use rear speakers, especially in a truck cab. 2-way components in the front and a single sub (or two) is all you need. At the MOST i would power them by the head unit. Be sure to put some low pass filters on them, or use the crossovers in the HU, to block out the high frequencies. That's what wrecks your soundstage. May want to read this tech paper on rear fill... GlassWolf's Homepage

1) I need my rear jump seats and think I need a sub so I'm thinking I want the Q-logic sub box under my rear seats. Which 8"subs and how much power?
sounds like you are more into sound quality than SPL. If you go with 8's, look at the Image Dynamics ID8 V.3. They make a great 10" sub too. Image Dynamics is well know for SQ. The ID8 V.3 will work great with anywhere from 100-250W per sub. How much power you need is dictated by the RMS rating of the sub you choose.

2) Should I go w/ the Q-forms front the kick panels? Will this take up noticeable foot space? Or should I keep the speaker placement in the door panel
components mounted in the kick panels will create the best soundstage. the trade-off is foot room. If not in the kicks, keep the tweeters down close to the midrange drivers (in general, angle them at the head of the person in the opposite side seat), don't mount them up in the a-frame or sail panels. With the tweeter far from the middrange driver, you'll run into phase issues, and time alignment issues...the system will sound "off".

I've seen the 3 way MB Quart speakers praised many times in some older posts, but I see many variations. Which are the specific models I should purchase? If I have a sub, should I change the speaker (5 1/4 - 6 1/2 ) size?
3) 3-way component systems can be difficult to configure, especially for a newbie. I'd stick with a quality set of 2-way components. Get 6.5" components if you can fit them, and be sure to seal the doors as much as possible. A little bit of sound deadener in the door will help too... Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information

And like SuckersWalk said, this stuff can be very subjective, especially when it comes to speakers. The best thing you can do is listen to as many different sets as you can. Some comps use silk tweeters and give off a softer sound, which some people prefer. Others prefer the "brightness" that metal tweeters produce. It's up to what sounds best to you! But remember, power is king. Any speaker you go with, give it the power for which it asks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts