Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the audio section about two weeks ago but only got 1 reply, so I thought I'd try again in the 1st gen Tunndra forum.....
I know VERY little about putting together audio systems, but I've been reading lots of posts on audio equipment here. I'm eager & ready to dive in...
I have many questions before I jump in and tear my interior up. I have an '03 Tundra Access cab w/ a Pioneer head unit, DEH-P7800MP w/ satellite & ipod connected. I listen to Blues, Classic Rock at a volume that is a little too loud for conversation in the car, but not REAL loud.
1) I need my rear jump seats and think I need a sub so I'm getting the Q-logic sub box under my rear seats. It will take two 8" subs, which two should I pick and how much power will they need?
2) Should I go w/ the Q-forms front the kick panels? Will this take up noticeable foot space? Or should I keep the speaker placement in the door panels?
3) I've seen the 3 way MB Quart speakers praised many times in some older posts, but I see many variations. Which are the specific models I should purchase? If I have a sub, should I change the speaker (5 1/4 - 6 1/2 ) size?
Your patience and help will be appreciated by this newbie.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What kind of bass are you looking for? Deep pounding bass (JL Audio) or crisp & clear bass that still beats (Kicker)? These are the two brands I personally would stay with.. not saying that other brands are not as good.. I just like those the most.

You need either a two channel amp or a mono amp that you can bridge, and for two 8" inch subs, no more than 400 watts max to be on the safe side. But, it depends on what subs you want.

To give you something to think about, I had two Kicker CVR12's and a Kicker 300.2 Amp, and that was way more than plenty.

Since the subs will take care of the low frequency sound, you are going to need something for the mids and highs. The 3-way speakers you are talking about you wont need because you have already taken care of the lows with the subs. Look for two way speakers. I believe all 4 speakers in the Tundra are 6.5".. I have a 2001 and they are all 6.5" I have alpines in my doors and they sound good.

However, this depends on how much you want to spend. personally, I would just go the route of swapping out for better speakers and going with the subs under the seat, with a nice head unit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FreshwhiteT,
I don't need deep pounding bass, just some nice clean bottom end on my tunes. I'm not looking to have the truck rattle, etc.
I just won an eBay used rear Q-logic sub box for the rear jump seat, so I've committed to that route now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks FreshwhiteT,
I don't need deep pounding bass, just some nice clean bottom end on my tunes. I'm not looking to have the truck rattle, etc.
I just won an eBay used rear Q-logic sub box for the rear jump seat, so I've committed to that route now.
Congrats!

If you want clean bass then def. go with Kicker.

Also, I don't know if you are aware, but I believe you have to cut out some of the metal framing of the storage compartment where the Q-Logic box is going. The box is designed to be recessed to allow the subs to flex without hitting the bottom of the seat. Borrow a recipricating saw with a few good metal blades. I am not 100% on this so you may want to ask around more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, I'm cool w/ a little cutting on my Tundra. I have the tools as well as the poor judgement to use them!
I hope the used eBay Q-Logic sub box comes w/ the original instructions !

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have high end infinity door speakers that sound amazing and i have the JL 8 inch subs in the Q logic box it is a great combo for good sound with solid bass. One thing that you should think about adding is a amp for the door speakers if you up grade them as well i have a 600 watt amp for the doors and a 800 for the subs just because thats what i had lying around after pulling my 2 12 out of my old truck. i have the 800 Kentwood amp turned way down its just a little to much power for 2 8 inch subs.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I had the q logic box in my 2001 Access Cab. No cutting required. There is a metal frame that unbolts and the Q logic then occupies that space. It is totally reversible.

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Infinity Reference speaker and two 8" JL subs in the Q-logic box.

Install on the box requires no cutting, just unbolting a few things and the sheet metal pops right out - it'll come with instructions.
I agree with running an amp for the speakers and subs. Instead of getting two amps though, since room is tight in the 1st gens, get a decent 5 channel amp. Yes, it'll cost you more, but you'll be glad when you're not running 2343209 wires through your truck and not searching for the space for the second amp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with the others on the JL subs. They can be ordered online very cheaply and sound very clean. They should be perfect for your application at a reasonable price. about 80$ each for the higher end 8 inch JL subs. As for speakers, do you have the stock component speakers? or just the regular speakers? my 2003 had the component speakers stock so i just placed my tweeters in there and the mids in the lower door panel. I am currently running Polk Audio Db series speakers and they sound very clean. Good sounding component speakers from Blaupunkt sp? run about 80 a pair as well. I highly recommend component speakers over 2 or 3 way speakers.

As for your amp location, run them under your seats. There should already be a hole in the carpet for your seatbelt sensors and you can just run your wiring through there. Don't skimp on the amp, Kicker makes good amps for reasonable prices.

I've run TONS of different audio setups (i get all my parts grey-market/wholesale). I found my current system to be the best for Sound quality:
Pioneer Avh-p 4100dvd head unit
Polk audio DB series component speakers
Audiobahn Intake series amplifiers
Boston Acoustics 12'' G5 sub in a 1cu. ft. sealed enclosure on the seat behind the driver's. (very compact yet AMAZING sounding)
Dynamatted doors

·
Registered
99 Posts
As to answer your questions.

1)any JL sub that meets your depth requirements and budget.

2) if your stock truck doesn't have tweeter mounts and you are unwilling to custom mount (involves drilling in door panel, a-pillar or wherever you want your tweeters) I say get the Q forms just for the fact that you can run component speakers. If your truck has the stock speaker holes, why waste your time and money?

3) MB quartz 3-way speakers series are just a component speaker set (tweeter and mid) plus a subwoofer. If you are running 2 8'' subs, you don't need the MB quartz subs. You'll want to only run your highs in your tweeters and mids, and your lows will be running solely out of your subs.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I agree with everybody here, JL 8"s are surprisingly good. My buddy got a pair of them, old and used. We threw one of them into his EL Camino(think super loud hot rod with no sound dampening) and after playing with the amp/head unit tuning I was really surprised how it sounded.
I have always been a fan of Kicker as well, ever since I had a pair of Solo Barrics back in '99(the originals not the square ones).

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I went with 2 e3.8 elemental design subs in the q logic, Polk db6501 components, Kenwook 616 w/ HD radio/ipod connector powered by 2 channel RF power 400 and 4 channel RF power 400 and 1 farad capacitor and I'm very pleased with it! Also, dynomated the doors and rear wall for now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, this place rocks! (pun?) If you don't mind, I have some more questions...
I'm going to go w/ the two 8" JL Audio subs in the Q form rear seat sub box and a Kicker amp for it (300 watts). since this is a 2 speaker sub, does it need two channels or should it be a bridged mono channel?
In the front doors I have the holes already cut in the doors for a tweeter & lower 6.5' speaker so I'm looking at the component Polk db6501 speakers. BTW:Crutchfield states the speaker size is 6 3/4"?
Should I just disconnect the access door 6.5" speakers, keep them connected, or replace them too?
How many watts amp for the front (and maybe access door?) speakers? Any particular amp for the front?
Thank you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks everyone, this place rocks! (pun?) If you don't mind, I have some more questions...
I'm going to go w/ the two 8" JL Audio subs in the Q form rear seat sub box and a Kicker amp for it (300 watts?).
In the front doors I have the holes already cut in the doors for a tweeter & lower 6.5' speaker so I'm looking at the component Infinity (Reference 6030cs or Kappa 60.9cs?) speakers ( I assume I should mount the 6 1/2" because that is the existing hole size??). BTW:Crutchfield states the speaker size is 6 3/4"?
Should I just disconnect the access door 6.5" speakers, keep them connected, or replace them too?
How many watts amp for the front (and maybe access door?) speakers?
Thank you!
I'm telling you man... 5 channel amp is the way to go. Run all four doors and both subs off one amp.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
if you want to save some cash, you can leave in the stock rear door speakers and run them off directly off your head unit. theory is that like a concert, you want the music in front of you (front sound stage) and that means good speakers and power in the front. if i had the money to spend, id put polks in the rears also and get JL, Alpine, or Infinity 5ch amp to run everything off of.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I thought the 2002 tundra rear speakers are 5.25" PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

I am receiving my Boston GT 5750 5 channel amp today.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The 2002 rear speakers should be the same as 2000, 6-3/4". Crutchfield says the same thing.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
That's where I got confused. Crutchfield listed 5.25 for front and 6.75 for the front. I pulled the panels off last night to see for my self and just so this goes into the history books.... A 2002 AC LTD Tundra has 6.75 front and rear.

Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yep! Just watch out for the mounting depth on the front, they're a little shallow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went a similar route as you. I have the Q-Logic box under the back seat, but all of my speakers are the Polk/Momo series, which are pretty much weather proof (they were/are marine rated). The biggest issue you'll have is the mounting depth for the subs, so triple check that the subs you're going to pick out A) have enough depth and B) will work with the very small volume you have avab.

I used the 6-3/4" seperates for the doors, and drilled holes in the panels to mount the tweeters. If you need/want pics I can take some and post them. After years and years of car audio, I'd recommend getting the MB Quarts over the Polks.

Powering the whole setup is a single Alpine digital PDX-5 mounted under my driver's seat. The nice thing about the digital amps is that they don't heat up as much as a standard amp, and I don't miss amps cooking my nutsack as I'm driving in the summer.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts