Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
looks nice. also looks like it covers the drain plug area. may be more of a mess now to change your oil. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, thats where this plate is better than stock. 1st off there is a hole drilled directly under the drain plug, 2nd as you can see in the pic you can access the oil filter without having to remove the whole factory plate.

·
Fellow Tundra Owner
1,868 Posts
Looks good. If indeed helps with oil changes it might be worth the money to get one. Guess will wait for other feedback on it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No, thats where this plate is better than stock. 1st off there is a hole drilled directly under the drain plug, 2nd as you can see in the pic you can access the oil filter without having to remove the whole factory plate.
i'm sure it's a nice piece. but when removing the oil filter, oil will spill out on to it. depending on how big the hole for the drain plug is, it still can get on the skid plate. best way is to just take the whole skid plate off. but from the looks of the pics, looks very good and probably not as expensive as toyota's.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm interested in one. How much do they cost?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm sure it's a nice piece. but when removing the oil filter, oil will spill out on to it. depending on how big the hole for the drain plug is, it still can get on the skid plate. best way is to just take the whole skid plate off. but from the looks of the pics, looks very good and probably not as expensive as toyota's.
You just have to be alittle crafty as not to spill oil from the oil filter, there are many ways.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Get an oil drain valve. I forget the manufacturer name, but search here and you'll find it pretty quick. I installed mine a few years ago, now all I gotta do to drain the oil is stick a piece of hose on the spigot through the drain hole in my skid plate and open the valve...it doesn't even splash on the oil collector since the hose fits in the little hole. No mess, except for the oil filter, and if you use part of a 2L pop bottle the only mess you'll have is a couple drips on the top of the skid where a little oil drains from the block after the filter is removed.

What's that plate made from? Stainless? Blingy but I gotta admit it looks nice.

-Sean

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get an oil drain valve. I forget the manufacturer name, but search here and you'll find it pretty quick. I installed mine a few years ago, now all I gotta do to drain the oil is stick a piece of hose on the spigot through the drain hole in my skid plate and open the valve...it doesn't even splash on the oil collector since the hose fits in the little hole. No mess, except for the oil filter, and if you use part of a 2L pop bottle the only mess you'll have is a couple drips on the top of the skid where a little oil drains from the block after the filter is removed.

What's that plate made from? Stainless? Blingy but I gotta admit it looks nice.

-Sean
That drain valve is made by fram, atleast the one I got is. Sounds like the exact same thing you have, anyways ya they work great :tu:

Plate is actually aluminum, and Paul over at Defiant is prob going to have them anodized. Any input about color would be appreciated. Im going to hard ano mine.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update:

The oil filter issue will be addressed with a bolt on accessorie that will be offered by Defiant. This item will bolt onto the skid plate in a fashion that will catch and direct the oil that spills from the filter area when the filter is removed. This catch will be easy to remove for cleaning without removing the skid plate. The drain plug area will also have an addition to it. This will be a formed aluminum component, conical shape, much like a funnel that will sit on the top side of the skid plate and catch any oil from the drain plug area. This will help eliminate the need for periodic removal of the plate for cleaning. (we like our trucks oil free also).

This should all be ready in 4-6 weeks, we all know how long production takes, trust me it will be worth it.

·
Fellow Tundra Owner
1,868 Posts
Excellent news. A discount for TundraSolutions members???

Just a little update:

The oil filter issue will be addressed with a bolt on accessorie that will be offered by Defiant. This item will bolt onto the skid plate in a fashion that will catch and direct the oil that spills from the filter area when the filter is removed. This catch will be easy to remove for cleaning without removing the skid plate. The drain plug area will also have an addition to it. This will be a formed aluminum component, conical shape, much like a funnel that will sit on the top side of the skid plate and catch any oil from the drain plug area. This will help eliminate the need for periodic removal of the plate for cleaning. (we like our trucks oil free also).

This should all be ready in 4-6 weeks, we all know how long production takes, trust me it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Just a little update:

:tu: :tu: now i'm talking. i like.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Usually he can be reached between 9-5 on weekdays, and sometimes he goes into the shop for a half-day on Saturdays. :tu:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a little update...just got back from Defiant test fitting a mockup oil filter drain guide. Basicly there will be a funnel/ plate guide that can be bolted to the skidplate for ease of oil changes. The guide can either be left on there or taken off. Also the oil pan drain hole is going to be about a 4" diameter so no problem with getting your hand up in there or oil spilling onto the plate. This should all be ready in about 2-3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
This is how it started last time...you posted pictures of the Defiant light bar and soon thereafter I was installing the light bar. It's a good looking skid plate. I still need to drill another set of holes to scoot the light bar back towards the bumper.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts