Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the fan clutch replaced on my 02 Tundra V8. The A/C wasn't working properly, so the mechanic replaced the fan clutch and it works like a charm now :D. But now the fan roars like a jet taking off at startup and continues to roar for a few minutes. You can really hear it when you're taking off from a dead stop. It even roars when the A/C is turned off. It gets louder as the rpm's increase. Sounds like it's gonna go airborne haha. Should the fan roar while you're driving?? If so, for how long??

Thanks for any info,
Jason C.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On a thermostatically controlled fan clutch you will hear it get louder during the heat of the day or when running the AC

but it shouldn't sound like a P47 on takeoff all the time. A new one might be a little tight for a spell but what you describe sounds like it's locked up. Pop the hood (with he engine off and cool) and check to see if the fan can be turned easily by hand and report back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I owned a mid-eighties Chevy S-10 Blazer once with that issue...but it was common for the species. The GM fan clutch was hugely loud until you got to about third gear (when the RPMs were down) then suddenly quieted down. But I have never had that problem with the Tundra. I always suspected the fan blade design and materials used were the culprit.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can turn the fan by hand with just mild pressure. It's a lot tighter than the old one, but it was completely shot lol.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts