Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took My 2002 Tundra to the Dealer to get a Vibration looked at they found both inner tie rods binding up they saisd they do them when the frame is done

So as they where under there they look at the frame they found 2 holes in the frame one under the divers seat by the cross member and one in the right rear above the rear tire

They said a month to 40 days to get a frame in

I asked them if I could get hold of the new frame when it comes in and have my Brother Power Coat it before they install it there going to find out and let me know

a few weeks to do the job

but they let me take the truck to drive in the mean time

I bought it 2 yrs ago at new yrs and it only had 20,000 on it now im at 39,400 miles

I geuss im happy, Has anyone that had there frame replaced are you happy with the job they did ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: New Frame A comming!

pics???????

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Heres A pic of the hole in the frame under the drivers door its the uplong hole that triggered the new frame !

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts

Wow, that's nice that they are going to take care of you like that. I guess Toyota isn't going to take any chances after what happened to them this year. Safety First!!

·
Registered
27 Posts

I guess I'll be the one to burst your bubble. My 2000 DC Tundra was inspected and held by my dealer on 12/30/09, and I am still driving a loaner as of today. Once the frame arrived, they took three weeks to get it switched over. I got the truck back for about 2 weeks, but they didn't put all the parts back on so I have been going back and forth with them to get it right.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I thought the dealer was suppose to keep your vehicle once it failed inspection. Why did they give it back to you? You should go back and ask them to put you in a loaner since your truck is unsafe to drive.

seanb59 - Did they give you another Tundra to drive? Mine goes in for inspection on Monday, and I am going to need another full size truck, for towing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Negative, I got a Camry for the majority of the time, but I am driving a Corolla now. I had a Tacoma extra cab (not quad cab) to start, but it was too small to carry my kids and gear during hockey season.
My dealership only had one Tacoma and one Tundra in their rental fleet, so they were tough to get.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
A guy I work with just brought his '01 in and they wouldnt let him drive out. They gave him a civic until a truck comes in for him. They also said some of the frame replacements run up to $18,000 after all is said and done. That amazed me!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hole that was there is not really in a bad area and since it was small they let me take it untill the frame comes in then i get a rental car

I hope they let me get it powdered before they install the frame it will look awesome

Brother said hes done other frames for street rods and they are aewsome and hold up unbeleiveable

well this dealer is very good to me in the past so hopefully all will work out

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you can get a rental truck, it surely won't have a trailer hitch, unless it's a dealer's rental. My Toy shop has an Enterprise on site and I was told no rental will have a hitch. The dealer has a '10 Tundra loaner available, but I was 26th on the waiting list. Rollin' in a Kia Sorrento at this point.

I'm six weeks in, waiting for my frame/parts to arrive. Very concerned my 2000 TRD hasn't been started in that period and will likely have problems by the time they finish.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Congrats on the new frame! It'll be bombproof, if you can get it stripped and properly coated before it goes on.

For those of you with frames that could use replacing but aren't quite bad enough to recall, I've heard you can get a frame for about 900$...one of the desert guys on TTORA/SCT did it recently.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New Frame A-coming! UPDATE

Toyota would not let me get it powdered but looking at the frame Brother thinks its and on the Manufactures web site show e coatings are done he think it will be fine !

Well Frame got replaced . The Problem i took it too them they found and fixed that the drivers side inner tie rod was galled and make the noise so i had them change all tie rods

Guys Check Your inner Tie rod BOOTS if they are split change them Very quickly or you have the Problem i had !

While the motor was out i had them install my JBA headers, what a difference they make .

They replaced the lower control arms on both sides i got them new ball joints from Moog and they installed them

All new brake lines ,New rear diff valve for rear brakes they paid for

All new bolts where they took anything apart they replaced them

The frame took 45 days to come in they gave me a 2010 doge pickup to drive and it was all done in 15 days

Truck is like new in ride and stiffness up front and all around

You know how when you bounce the rear you get a squeek well thats gone all they did was change bolts on the rear springs and the spring shackles

While the frame was getting done Brother was powdering the front skid plate, the Nerf bars and the tie downs in the bed and the bolts

Over all the Dealer was Excellent with everthing , the 2 mechanics they did the work want my truck it only has 40,000 miles

If you guys want images send me a private message with email and i send you the pictures to you I cant get the small enough to post !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts