Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all.

I had a Lexus RX300, I just turned it into a Highlander. I was struggling between the Highlander and the Pilot. My wife liked the Pilot. That is what we got, however driving off the lot, I saw a gold Highlander Limited. I phoned the owner and a couple of days later, it was mine.

It is in great shape, a 2002. It has 93k miles. Runs very well. I am experiencing the CEL/VSC light thing and that is what led me to this forum.

Well, I will be trying out a few of the suggestions read here. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Look forward to visiting!

Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you have a OBDII scanner or know someone that does? If not you can stop by Autozone or the like to have them pull the code.

Once you get that post it here and others will provide info and hopefully a solution.

Once quick check is to ensure your gas cap is tight. That can cause a cel, but I don't know it if triggers the VSC flashing as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a OBDII scanner or know someone that does? If not you can stop by Autozone or the like to have them pull the code.

Once you get that post it here and others will provide info and hopefully a solution.

Once quick check is to ensure your gas cap is tight. That can cause a cel, but I don't know it if triggers the VSC flashing as well.
No scanner. Gas cap is tight. Looking to clean Mass Air Flow Sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New guy says hello: AND THANKS!!

Well, An early thank you to Tundra. If this worked, my subscription has more than paid for itself already.

I cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and pulled EFI fuse #20 for 30 seconds to reset the CEL. We shall see how long it lasts.

Some info to share:

Skill Level Assessment:
You ask "Dan, What is a Mass Air Flow Sensor?"
Dan answers :"WTF is that?"

You ask: "Dan. How do you clean one? Oh! How did you figure out how to turn off the CEL?"
Dan answers: "?What is a CEL? Than I Google it and find TundraSolutions and 4X4Wire.con ( Toyota Maintenance: Tacoma & 4Runner 30K Mile Service ) "Toyota 4x4 30k mile tune up with pix, and WIKIPedia "Highlander Questions"; and I read a bit. Then I do what it said."

You: "Hmmm. I would rate your skill level at zed."
Process:
Find MAFS: 15 seconds
Unattach MAFS: < 1minute
Disengage Electrical connection without breaking it: < 30 seconds
Clean MAFS: <2 Minutes, brushing the grime and polutants off with a soft bristle brush.
Reverse the above unistall: < 1 minute.
Pull 20 amp EFI fuse for 30 seconds: < 1 minute
Re-install fuse, put on cover < 30 seconds.
Total Elapsed Time: 6m 15s
---------------------------
Type all of this out: 15 minutes

Now to go for a sunny Sunday afternoon drive and see if she comes back on!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, so far so good. The lights have not come back on. I would not be bold enough to sat I am ready to stick a fork in this one; but things appear to be good in the CEL/VSC department.

Thanks TundraSols and to the other places too!

Y'all ROCK!!!

:ts::tu::)

p.s. I am going to go knock on wood...........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have a '04 Highlander Limited 4WD. I love the vehicle except for two things. Mine suffers from the hesitation issue when coming to a near stop (Yield signs, toll booths, etc.), and I'm not fond of the tires (Mich's, 225's). Too much wandering. But at 6'3" I love the size and would love to resolve my issues.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Hi, I have a '04 Highlander Limited 4WD. I love the vehicle except for two things. Mine suffers from the hesitation issue when coming to a near stop (Yield signs, toll booths, etc.), and I'm not fond of the tires (Mich's, 225's). Too much wandering. But at 6'3" I love the size and would love to resolve my issues.
I too have an 06 HL Ltd with the Mich 225's . I don't get any wandering unless I overinflate my tires a tad too much. spec is 30 PSI. but I feel anything over 33 is creating torque steer wandering at highway speeds. I feel because it is full time 4WD.

How many miles on yours. Have yu checked wheel alignment? Most, but not all people, love the Mich's over any other OE tire Toyota put on the Limited 17" rims. Maybe the tires are shot?

:)
LT

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Poor tow-in alignment will cause wandering as well!:)

BTW . Do all four of your Mich's have feathering at the outer edge of each(all 4) tire treads???

A Mich Tire Dealer told me that it is poor alignment. I discovered this at only 3K Original new miles before any rotation. dealer insists that the alignmenet is correct.

I noticed this only on The OE Mich. tires and the OE Goodyears on all HL's I've seen. I would consider aMich. "Cross Terrain SUV" Tires as replacements.

My thoughts.:)
LT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts