Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has a 2000 Tundra limited access cab with really low miles...like 6,000. He has many vehicles and has kept this one in the garage and wanted to keep it mint I guess? LOL. Anyway, I have been looking for a crew cab truck for a DD in Chevy Silverado's, GMC's, etc. when he hits me up that he will sell me this Tundra. It's not a crew cab but with the low miles I think, what the hey .Well I know very little about Tundras so I start researching. I keep seeing all the brake problems, rust issues, trannies going out so I get spooked and think maybe I ought to pass and look for a newer model like an 05-06 or another brand. If you all were in my shoes, what would you do? I have an 01' F350 that is my pulling/hauling truck so I got that covered. Thanks, Stubbs

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a friend that has a 2000 Tundra limited access cab with really low miles...like 6,000. He has many vehicles and has kept this one in the garage and wanted to keep it mint I guess? LOL. Anyway, I have been looking for a crew cab truck for a DD in Chevy Silverado's, GMC's, etc. when he hits me up that he will sell me this Tundra. It's not a crew cab but with the low miles I think, what the hey .Well I know very little about Tundras so I start researching. I keep seeing all the brake problems, rust issues, trannies going out so I get spooked and think maybe I ought to pass and look for a newer model like an 05-06 or another brand. If you all were in my shoes, what would you do? I have an 01' F350 that is my pulling/hauling truck so I got that covered. Thanks, Stubbs

There are plenty of fixes for the brake problems... for me it would come down to how much he would sell the '00 for. If it is as mint as it should be, that would be hard to pass if the price is right...

·
Registered
544 Posts
If the price is right, get it. my old 00' had 215k miles, previous owner and I never replaced a transmission or done anything to the motor other than regular maintenance.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if the price is right, it would be a good deal. as mentioned earlier, the brake upgrade/fix is very easy. if it's been sitting in a garage, it probably doesn't have any rust issues. so it would be up to you to take care of the frame. it might have been the first year toyota came out with the tundra, but they did a whole lot more right than wrong. it should give you a lot of carefree transportation.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you dont mine me asking....how much is he wanting to sell it for? I had a '01 and even w/ 160K+ miles I still sold it for over $7K. LOL They definitely hold their resale value and other than replacing the transmission once and O2 sensors a few times it was very reliable.

I like my DC even more since I can actually put my daughters car seat in it and people can sit comfortably in the back rather than sitting at a 90 degree angle. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. Well when I asked him what he wanted for it he replied around 10k. But...knowing him, he's a great guy and all, we shall see what the REAL deal is......;). He lives about 600 miles away and we are going to visit in March so I would make it happen then if it works out.
One post mentioned taking care of the frame myself. What would that entail?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
If he's had it basically garaged and the low miles are accurate, you should not have any major issues, any time soon. Some of the the rubber related items could be dry rotted. Should not have rust.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
At what interval was it driven? (The numbers average out to only 50 miles a month!) Was it driven for a while and then sat for months at a time or driven around for 8-10 miles a week?

You don't mention in what part of the country you live, but vehicles sitting for extended periods, especially in areas with four seasons, can create issues all on their own. Gasoline engines do not like to sit unattended for extended intervals without specific protection steps taken, i.e. gasoline stabilization, cylinder lubrication, etc. An engine can develop minor glazing/shellacking inside cylinder walls, valves, rings, etc. Further, I'd pay special attention to all rubber boots, bushings, hoses, electrical connections, the coil packs, etc. for degradation.

IIWY, I'd give it a good drive (at least 20-30 miles, both highway and stop-and-go) to see if there are any throttle, idling, or shifting issues. Make sure that you get a detailed history of the timing of previous maintenance. It probably won't be much given the mileage, but just owning it requires that you don't just ignore it either.

It isn't use that would support doing any proactive maintenance, fluid changes, etc, it's time.

If it's been taken care of, you might have a gem there. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
to be more specific, if you live in an area where a lot of road salt is used then you could do your self a favor and get the underside covered with some kind of undercoating protector. up in the northern climates there are shops that specialize in these kind of applications. when you get into areas like florida or southern arizona where vehicles are not subjected to road salts then you have no worries around this issue.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Well when I asked him what he wanted for it he replied around 10k. But...knowing him, he's a great guy and all, we shall see what the REAL deal is......;). He lives about 600 miles away and we are going to visit in March so I would make it happen then if it works out.
In addition to or rather than getting it coated, just spend some time cleaning the salt etc. form the undercarriage when you wash it. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way. My 05 frame looks like new and I just hit it real good at the car wash whenever there is a break in the weather. They use some nasty deicer here.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I'm in no way looking for a new ride, but if I came across one with 6K on it for under $10K, I think I would bring it home. These trucks seem to have far fewer problems than those of the "big 3". The problems are somewhat magnified here because this is where people come for resolutions. The brakes are an easy and relatively cheap fix, and I think the vast majority of these trucks don't even have the brake problems discussed frequently on here. The transmission is a bigger deal, but I again don't think failure is the norm and later model (issues resolved), low mile junkyard trannies can be bought in the 500-750 range. As for rust, it depends on where you live. My 02 has only been driven in road-salt free areas and has not one speck of rust anywhere under it. If a tree crushed my truck today, I'd go get another 1st gen Tundra. If it's that mint and suits your needs, go for it.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Take Remmy's advice...

It sounds like it would be a good buy. If it seems like the lack of regular run time would be a problem, see if he'll drop the price a bit to make it worth your time to fully inspect and R&R the engine & fuel delivery, if necessary.

This is a very good opportunity to start ten years later with a clean slate...if you don't pick it up, I'm sure someone else here would be very enthusiastic about buying it.

-Sean

·
Registered
65 Posts
price is everything, but what it should all boils down to is that will that tundra outperform your ford. i love my 05 more than anything but those early tundra did have a lot of problems. it doesn't have that well know iforce and 5 speed tranny in it that's for sure.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
OP: "I have been looking for a crew cab truck for a DD".

He still has the Ford for work. He's looking for a daily driver vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At this point I am definitely going to give it a good driving when we get there, see what I think. He has kept it parked every time we have visited and that has me concerned like Remmy said. Granted, if I can get it for 10k or under I still won't feel so bad if I have to put some money in it down the road as opposed to putting money into a 20k truck. It does have a Leer topper and he has a bed rug in it which I really like. Like I said, the Ford is my work, toy hauler and the most the Tundra would see would be pulling a 1400 lb jon/jet boat around which is pretty light.

·
Registered
568 Posts
if i ran across an 00 with 6k miles, id buy it. Especially for 10. If nothing else just to have like the only one ever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my second Toyoyota last fall; an '02 Limited 4x4 access cab. It is a beauty, Sunfire Red pearl w/Oak leather interior, all options, color matched fiberglass camper shell, near new Bridgestone Duellers, but it also came with the need for a new timing belt ($500), need for front axle boot kits ($600), needs new steering link bushing ($98), has already required a new O2 sensor ($80 diy), and it averages 13.8 MPG. It's still a very nice truck, but it's not perfect or maintenance free just because it's a Toyota. I do think I've discovered why Toyotas last so well; Toy owners are very meticulous about maintenance & care, quality parts, tires, accessories, etc. I'm not sure that I am particular enough to own a Toy. I may be a procrastinating Ford guy, like, the oil will wait 'till next weekend. If you are too, just be careful. There's a lot of responsibility owning a 10 year old Toyota truck with only 6k miles on it. You'll have to keep it perfect. You might be happier with a newer, but higher mileage & less perfect old beater...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts