Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a Focus Form-Fit hood deflector for my 2002 Tundra. 10 years of rock chips later I finally found one that I like. It mounts behind the grille and uses 6 rubber "bumpons" between the underside of the deflector and the hood to protect the paint from being scratched. No drilling on hood is needed. It's made in Canada and I got it through Auto Accessories for Cars Trucks & SUVs | Hood Deflectors | Grille Guards | Floor Mats. I chose this one as it's the only one I found for my truck that also covers the space between the grille and the headlights. Since it's almost 6 foot wide so FedEX oversized shipping was required. Cost of deflector was $100 plus $40 shipping, arrived in 4 days from ordering. Was somewhat expensive but I got exactly what I wanted and quickly too. I haven't installed it yet but am attaching pics of same deflector installed on another '02 Tundra.

2002 w_hood deflector_1.jpeg 2002 w_hood deflector_2.jpeg

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I need to look into this, and it would look mean w a blacked out front grill. Is this completely opaque? Wish it was translucent.

What is up w the wipes in those pics? The connection looks way bulkier than mine.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You read my mind. As soon as I opened the box and just set it on my hood I jumped on-line and ordered a black powdercoat grille insert (Grillcraft). It's not a cheap mod ($160 from E-bay) and requires cutting the original grille, but looks awesome I think. I chose the black one, but the polished aluminum one is nice too, but I like the contrast of chrome edge and black center. Also ordered an aluminum TRD emblem to put on in place of the Grillcraft emblem in the lower right.

It's not opaque, it's med dark smoke tint. The 7 "bumpons" that stick onto the hood (5) and 2 for the front of each fender are clear, base is a bit smaller than a nickle in diameter.

Not sure what you mean by the "wipes". If you mean the parts dropping down between the grille and each headlight, that is part of the mold and the inside edge of the deflector center cutout mounts between the grille and the hood.

toy-1960-b-1.jpg Chrome Mesh.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not opaque, it's medium dark smoke tint color. Will do on the pics. Probably at least mid next week, as grille insert should be delivered next Monday. Meanwhile gotta wash & wax it good.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got my new hood deflector (bug/rock shield) installed. It really seems solid and no movement up to 75 MPH. Now awaiting my new Grillcraft black powdercoat grille insert to finish it off. Hopefully it arrives today. Here's some pics of the new deflector.

Front View.jpg Left Front.jpg Right Front.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the Grillcraft emblem is plastic and easy to remove, just pop off the studs with a screwdriver. My TRD emblem should arrive today and if the grille insert gets here I'll be finishing it up so I can start my next mod.
Already began ordering the parts for a remote transmission cooler (bypassing trans cooler in radiator), adding a digital temp gauge and electric fan/thermostat. Two of my buddies with late 90's Tacomas have suffered trans failures due to internal failure of the radiator and antifreeze contamination of trans fluid, so I'm going to act before that can happen to me.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Doh! So there will be two (2) holes left remaining if the logo is removed?

Keep us updated on the remote tranny filter. I have the electric fans, just need to install; I cant wait...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NO, the original emblem has two posts that go through existing holes (whole grille insert is comprised of 100's of holes) with press-on clips on the rear side. Removing the emblem just reveals the same pattern of holes as the rest of the insert.

Closeup Grille Insert.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "FORM-FIT" logo on the deflector is a decal, I doubt it can be removed without scratching the deflector itself. According to some old posts I dug up about this deflector, this logo was "Toyota" on the OEM ones installed by Canadian dealers, but mine has the company logo since I bought it direct.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got my new grille insert installed, but still need to do some painting under the hood on the A/C condenser brackets and other stuff so it's not so visible thru the grille. Once that's done I'll remount the hood deflector and move on to my next mod.

IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.jpg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Modifying my original grille to use the new grille insert wasn't exactly easy, luckily I have lots of tools available, such as a Dremel, jig saw, sawsall, sander, and 2 different drills. I spent about 2 hours cutting out the middle part of the original grille, then sanding the outside part to prep it for painting. Definately not an "EASY" mod if you don't have lots of patience and tools, but I'm quite happy with the result so far. I'll post more pics once I paint the interior space to diminish the visible reflections seen thru the grille opening.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FINISHED MOD PICS! Finally got the deflector and the modified grille both back on. Lotsa work with the grille but I'm happy with the end result.

IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0201.JPG

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty Sweet! Thanks for all the effort to post. I am hoping to see pics on a double cab but the factory website shows a Chevy after I select my '06 Tundra for pricing.

Anyone have a pic of this deflector on a Tundra double cab? Thanks so much!

Fred

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brad's Dad - I don't know where you plan to order the deflector from, but I got mine from AUTOSEATTLE.com. I sent and received a few e-mails from a guy there named BRADY when I was trying to get some better pics of the deflector for my 2002 truck. He told me that the manufacturer (Focus Form-Fit) didn't provide them with many pics of their product on different year Tundras. I managed to find a couple of good pics off the web by finding a truck for sale that had the deflector listed in the add-ons (that's the red truck shown in one of my early posts on this thread. I'm very happy with my deflector and glad I held out until I located exactly what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts