Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took advantage of the warm spell we've had and installed some new icon coilovers today. they are awesome so far. the factory adjustment initially gave me 3" of lift on the drivers side and 3 3/8" on the passenger side. after a 20 mile run down some country roads and a logging road or two, they settled in at 2" higher on the drivers side and 2 7/8" higher on the passenger side. they are smooth over the bumps compared to the black tokiko's from toyota. the rear suspension is more pronounced in it's "stockness" now. i expected as much.

i left the front sway bar off from the previous day's poly steering rack bushing replacement to get a better feel for what the icons offer. they did a pretty good job of making up for the absence of the sway bar, but it is still obvious that the front sway bar is missing. i will be adjusting them to factory ride height shortly, but i enjoyed the taller ride height on the front more than i thought i would. this surprised me.

i also installed some new braided brake lines on the front while i was in there. nice new "touchy" pedal feels great. very simple to do.

tomorrow the new hellwig front sway goes on. the hellwig front sway bar must weigh 10-15 lbs. more than the factory offering. nice powder coat finish too.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Right on!! You picked one of the best coilovers out there. I would'nt run the sway bar off without some kind of aftermarket uni-ball UCA because of the added droop, but it is nice. It is a difference you have to get use too. With your new swaybar its going to be like a sports car! Post some pics up, we all like looking at stuff we can't buy lol!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on!! You picked one of the best coilovers out there. I would'nt run the sway bar off without some kind of aftermarket uni-ball UCA because of the added droop, but it is nice. It is a difference you have to get use too. With your new swaybar its going to be like a sports car! Post some pics up, we all like looking at stuff we can't buy lol!!

i spoke with icon before i purchased these coilovers and i shared with them that i would be keeping the factory ride height and uca. i am under the impression that icon set the shocks up a specific way because i wanted to remain at factory ride height so as not to have any adverse affects on on the uca's range of motion. it makes sense that if the ride height is not changed, then the uca should not be affected. correct? icon shared with me that if i ever wanted to raise my ride height to the point where i would need a uniball type uca to send the coilovers back to them and they would adjust them accordingly.

i will not be on any serious trails anyway so if there is a little extra droop in the coil overs, i don't feel like it will cause any problems. i am open to input on this.

i haven't gotten an alignment yet, but there is a difference in the way the front end acts around curves since the front sway went on. it's almost like the feel of a front wheel drive vehicle in that it seems to pull you around curves. i don't know another way to describe it yet. the front end definitely stays flatter now even with the additional ride height and the ride quality is much better than stock. i am sure the ride quality will improve even more when i adjust back to factory ride height and take some tension off the front coils.

my tires were a little wet yesterday when i pulled out of the driveway and it seemed there is a propensity for them to spin a bit more easily. not surprising as the front new front sway is going to affect how the rear tires react to the road. it could have just been the wet tires along with me "expecting" things to be different. i'll have to relearn my truck now.

i am going to play with the other two adjustment holes on the rear sway and see if i can dial it in a bit more to my liking. something is telling me that moving to the rear setting on the rear sway should balance things out a bit as i am on the middle setting now. that and an alignment.

i took a few pics along the way. the last time i tried to post pics here i had my camera set to it's lowest pixel setting and it was still just a little too big to please the moderators. i am at a loss on the camera thing. if my hands got dirty taking pictures, i could probably figure it out. HA!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts