Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redesigned Intake Tube From K&N!!!

I dont know if everyone knows and I am the last to find out... I was having problems with a cel for maf sensor. I contacted K&N about it and they said they have redesigned the 5.7l tube so that the maf sensor isnt so close to the intial rush of air. They sent me a new tube where the maf sensor is on the front side of the tube closer to the engine. I still have a high pitched whistle but was told that some vehicles have that and some dont. I havent reset the sensor to see if it stays off now.

Just FYI for anyone with a problem with a K&N

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post some pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Here they are... The first one is the old tube in which you can see the sensor mount towards the filter end on the backside. Also note the tube connector locations.

The second is ther new one where you can see they moved the sensor to the front side opposite end of the filter. Also made the tube connectors screw in and closer together as well as away from the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Man I bet that intake screams! :DI got Volant..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've heard about some issues with it. I didn't do the metal b/c it holds more heat and defeated the purpose of cold air (IMO) but would be interesting to know if they'd swap on my model as well. But since I'm not having any trouble I figure it's best to leave it alone. As for the whistle, yes I get that but it isn't constant and typically happens when accelerating. I got used to it quickly and love the sound of Big Daddy!

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
^^The metal opposed to the plastic tube has very little impact with a CAI. I did mine for looks since I show my truck, as with any CAI I have done. There is just not enough impact with a CAI even though it is promoted as it has. But it is argued over and over by many people that it either does, or that it either doesn't. :D

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Re: Redesigned Intake Tube From K&N!!!

I dont know if everyone knows and I am the last to find out... I was having problems with a cel for maf sensor. I contacted K&N about it and they said they have redesigned the 5.7l tube so that the maf sensor isnt so close to the intial rush of air. They sent me a new tube where the maf sensor is on the front side of the tube closer to the engine. I still have a high pitched whistle but was told that some vehicles have that and some dont. I havent reset the sensor to see if it stays off now.

Just FYI for anyone with a problem with a K&N
Awesome!! I have not had this problem with mine though..Are they sending one to us for free if we contact them? I have the whistle, and have with most intakes I have had..I think it sounds awesome! Would leave you some "rep" points for this post, but have to spread some around before I can give you some again. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Awesome!! I have not had this problem with mine though..Are they sending one to us for free if we contact them? I have the whistle, and have with most intakes I have had..I think it sounds awesome! Would leave you some "rep" points for this post, but have to spread some around before I can give you some again. :D
Yes if you call them they will ask for either the sku # or there is numbers stamped on the tube itself and then they send the new tube free and also a return label to send the original one back. I am used to the whistle now. Along with the exhaust it sounds cool...

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts

Yes if you call them they will ask for either the sku # or there is numbers stamped on the tube itself and then they send the new tube free and also a return label to send the original one back. I am used to the whistle now. Along with the exhaust it sounds cool...
Cool..I was hoping that I could keep the other one too. :D Was thinking of getting it airbrushed to match my engine and fuse box cover.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Cool..I was hoping that I could keep the other one too. :D Was thinking of getting it airbrushed to match my engine and fuse box cover.
You probably could keep it.....all they have is your address if they sent a bill they could never collect on it!!! haha

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts

You probably could keep it.....all they have is your address if they sent a bill they could never collect on it!!! haha
LOL..Or I could at least delay sending it back until I get mine back airbrushed. Would not be but about 10 days max..They have to allow for procrastination..LOL..Even though I tend not to be one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

LOL..Or I could at least delay sending it back until I get mine back airbrushed. Would not be but about 10 days max..They have to allow for procrastination..LOL..Even though I tend not to be one.
Very true..The guy I spoke to didnt really seem like sending it back was urgent....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Which k&n kit is this? They have a few series.

-Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is kit 77-9031kp, It's for the 5.7l...

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
K&N should have been aware of the MAF positioning issue when they designed the original intake. The MAF sensor needs laminar air flow in the tube to sense accurately and if the sensor is too close to the inlet, you get lots of turbulence in the air throwing the ECM off. Not surprisingly there's quite a few short ram style intakes on the market that have this issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
got a stupid question. what kind of issues were you having? i have it installed for a month now and haven't noticed any problem.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got a stupid question. what kind of issues were you having? i have it installed for a month now and haven't noticed any problem.

thanks in advance
I was getting CEL randomly...I noticed if I really got on the gas it would come on everytime. I had the code read a few different times to make sure it was the same and everytime it would read maf sensor. I didn't have any performance or even running issues. I have installed the new tube and have done everything to get the light to come on but it doesn't.Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was getting CEL randomly...I noticed if I really got on the gas it would come on everytime. I had the code read a few different times to make sure it was the same and everytime it would read maf sensor. I didn't have any performance or even running issues. I have installed the new tube and have done everything to get the light to come on but it doesn't.Thanks

How long have you had the K&N? I still have the old tube design (MAF sensor in the back) but never ran into the CEL problem. Maybe the MAF is different in the 2010 than in the earlier model? has anyone had the same problem with 2010 Tundra? maybe I should call K&N and see what they have to say. thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts