Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crammer30 here, hello. I have purchased an 03 Tundra Sportside from a local dealership. I am a loyal Toyota driver and love my new ride. I know I will use this site wisely, and for the moment I need one question asked. Has anyone had any luck with increasing the fuel mileage in the 4.7L V8? The price of gas is what it is, I am just looking to get a little extra from those gallons! Any assistance is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Other than feathering the gas pedal. Nope.

I've been averaging about 11-13 in the city and 15-17 on the highway(17 going straight and driving with the wind). I have 35's, with 4.88's, lots of front end wind resistance and my front drivetrain is not spinning when the front wheels are turning (locking hubs).

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Replace spark plugs with irridiums, change air filter, make sure tires are inflated to proper pressures.

Keep truck under 2,000rpm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Replace spark plugs with irridiums, change air filter, make sure tires are inflated to proper pressures.

Keep truck under 2,000rpm.
pretty much it........you could also place some electrical tape over the odometer to prevent any unnecessary calculating of gas mileage.

4.7 is definately not the eco way to go. i have pretty much given up totally on monitoring gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
In addition to what has already been said I would switch to synthetic lubricants to further reduce friction. When I first bought my dc in Sept I got horrible mileage however that has improved as the truck has broken in. Since yours is already broken in I would suggest that you perform general maintainance. You'd be surprised at the difference that new plugs and air filter will make. You might also consider cleaning your maf just to make sure that it can read the air flowing past it correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts