Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all... great forum here. So, tomorrow I will be taking my '06 DC with a little under 101,000 miles in for a timing belt replacement. I already purchased all the parts necessary for the job from Volkstoy Motorsports and also picked up a tb tensioner and thermostat from the dealer. I also purchased a gallon of the Super Long life coolant, but I do have an almost full gallon of the regular non-premixed long life coolant that I purchased a while back.

The truck still has the original coolant. I have only topped it off a couple of times during those 100k miles. Now, I would prefer to perform a coolant flush myself to ensure all of the old stuff is flushed out before adding the new mix in, but obviously with the timing belt change some new coolant will have to be added at the shop.

How much coolant is typically drained out during a timing belt replacement? I'm assuming its whatever gets drained out of the radiator and whatever spills out during the water pump removal and whatever else is left in the block remains there. Now, I doubt the shop will go to the trouble of completely draining/flushing the entire cooling system so what I was thinking of doing is giving them whatever it is that I have left of the long life coolant and having them fill the rest of the system up with water, preferrably distilled water, but I highly doubt that shops use it anyway. Then the next day I will completely drain and flush the entire system myself.

For those of you that have had a shop replace your timing belt, did you guys ensure that all of the contents of the cooling system was changed out and not only the amount that was lost during the process? I sure wouldn't want to go another 100k with old coolant mixed in with the new. What do you guys think? Will maybe 3/4 gallon of coolant and the rest water be ok for the shop to use until the next day when I can get around to getting the proper 50/50 mixture in? Of course the correct mixture will still be in the block.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Super Long Life coolant is good for 100K and after that it is recommended every 30K like other coolant. personally i would worry to much about a coolant "flush". i would just fill it and mix it with whats left in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most likely they will drain the whole system because long life in every Toyota now upgrade to super long life. It won't hurt to ask them to drain the whole system. I work for toyota in canada and at our shop since were already draining coolant for the timing belt there would be no extra cost to drain all of it, just a charge for coolant ( or no charge if u bring your own). No extra labour costs since we already have to re fill it in the end anyways.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would just have them fill with SLL and not worry about flushing the system. In another 30K just drain and fill again and you should not have that much old antifreeze carry over. The system holds like 3+ gallons. It took 1.5 gallons after I replaced the block heater and that is half way up the block. Also, remember that SLL is premixed 50/50 in the jug and LL is straight unmixed.

Oh yeah, welcome to TS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay... thanks for the responses everyone. Since I already have a gallon of SLL, I will pick up two more and ask them to drain the block also. Hopefully 12 gallons will be enough even though the manual says 13.5 quarts. Sorry if this is a stupid question.. But are there two drain bolts on the block or just one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts