Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking very seriously at a new Tacoma. Presently have an 06 Tundra which I absolutely love. The best truck I've ever had bar none and I've owned many including Tacos. Why am I looking to downsize? Simple. The cost of fuel is killing me lol. I drive close to 100 miles a day round trip and at around 17.5 MPG or maybe 18 if I drive like granny, I am spending a small fortune on gas and it's slated to move towards the $4 a gallon mark this summer. Bud at work has an 07 with a 4 in it and gets a constant 22 MPG with it (5 speed). I figure I'll be saving around $700 a year or so on gas at today's prices which is significant. I would not pay to get the 6 cyclinder since there would be pretty much no benefit. I am surprised by how much the Tacos have grown in the past few years. Damn near and roomy in the front seat as my Tundra.

In any event, are there any significant issues or problems as of late with Tacos? I am prolly going to get the Access cab with the 4 banger and 5 speed for fule economy. I'd go for the double cab if it came in a 4. Lastly, anyone have an input as to what kind of changes may be coming for 08? Not sure if I should hold off for 08 or go for an 07 now while gas is still under $3 a gallon. I figure if I wait and gas climbs, my Tundra will drop a bit in value trade wise etc. Not sure if I'll get a 4x4 or the 2WD. Don't have much of any call for the 4WD but would be nice to have incase etc.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Boogey Man

·
Registered
124 Posts
My rc 4x2 4 cyl (1800 miles) is currently getting a shade under 30 mpg on the highway. My buddy has a V8 Tundra and it is killing him. Although he comments that his Tundra looks as if it just gave birth when I pull into his driveway (both trucks are Indigo) I'll take the ribbing all the way FROM the gas pumps!

4WD v. 4x2? All depends where you want to go ... don't have too much reason for 4WD in Virginia Beach.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 07 4cyl access cab 4x4. I drive about 70 miles a day and have been averaging around 22 mpg. This last weekend made a 500 mile day trip and even with me driving faster than normal 75-80mph I averaged 23.41mpg for the trip. But you can't beat the near 30mpg that others are getting with the 4x2.

So far about 6000 miles no issues to speak of.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife drives my truck back and forth to work. She's pretty easy on the throttle, but with the stoplights she's averaging around 17 MPG. I have an '07 AC, auto, V6, 4x4 TRD offroad that's bone stock.

Since I don't commute, the $25-30 a week we spend on fuel isn't killing us, but I could see where it would if one of us were driving the kind of miles you do. Hell, I'd buy a Yaris or something if I drove the kind of miles you do.

-- mike

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I sold my 06 Tundra myself in Dec and just picked up a new Tacoma Double Cab about a month ago. It was a leftover 2006 and I absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong, I too, like you, loved my Tundra, but it was overkill for my needs. The Tacoma is right sized for me.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Xedge, I am thinking about doing the same. 95% of the time it's just me in my Tundy DC. I am worried about the ride on the Taco. Did you find it a big difference?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I downsized from an '05 Tundra AC SR5 V-8 4x2 w/ TRD Off-Rd, to an '07 Tacoma AC SR5 2.7L 4-cyl auto (non-prerunner).

I absolutely love it!!! I'm getting over 20 mpg now as oppossed to the 13-14 mpg's I was getting on the beast. Plus, my range has increased another 50-60 miles on a smaller tank. The ride is way more comfy on the new Taco than on my Tundra. That O/R pkg. was bumpier than sh#t!

I'm a big guy @ 5'10/240, so comfort is a big deal. Make the switch bro, they'll keep making big trucks for years to come. When you make more money, you can always upgrade again.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you can go the route of 4x2, then Id say do it. It definitely wouldnt be worth getting a 4x4 with the 4.0L, as I am lucky to get 17-18mpg, usually its around 15, but I have a heavy foot.

Be sure not to get raped on the Tundra. If you have to take a loss of a few grand at this time just because everyone is concerned about the gas hike, it would probably be better to hang onto it until the gas prices drop back down and the truck sales go back to normal. Well, at least what is considered normal now.

Everyone that has been in my Tacoma has been impressed with the amount of room. If you dont need full sized rear seats, the access cab should be fine.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Xedge, I am thinking about doing the same. 95% of the time it's just me in my Tundy DC. I am worried about the ride on the Taco. Did you find it a big difference?
In my situation, the plusses outweighed any negatives. All my previous toyota truck had been tacoma size. Went with the Tundra because of course if its bigger, it has to be better. Love the V8. Do I miss it? Maybe the quietness of its engine, but it had its quirks too. (Loud as all get out on a cold morning!). The Tacoma fits all my needs. As others have said, the DC is plenty big to get people around or put stuff in. It tows my enclosed snowmobile trailer adequately. I like the styling, having four full doors, and it rides pretty damn nice too. Get up and go is more than adequate. So I am not sure if this answers your question or not. BUT If I had the chance to have either truck in my driveway today for free, I'd pick the Tacoma, hands down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you sell your Tundra and buy a Tacoma you will lose several thousand on the trade (meaning you will owe more on the new one and your trade in value on the old one has just taken the biggest hit it will in any 1 year).

The thousands you lose on the trade-in will never make up for the small difference you will see in the gas mileage.

Now if you just want to do the trade for other reasons (nonfinancial) I can see that but it isn't a wise financial decision under any circumstance.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I wouldn't be thinking about it if I didn't think I could get what I have owing on my current Tundy. Cause that would be stupid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make sure that you get the invoice pricing on the Tacoma, and then bring in the Tundra to trade. Make them give you what you NEED out of the Tundra and you will be happy! I just made the switch from a 06 2500 Cummins Diesel to the Tacoma in my sig....... I'm extremely happy with my decision. I just do not need the bigger truck anymore and like the savings in fuel/maintenance! I am currently getting a little more than what I was in the Diesel as far as mileage and it should get better. 18mpg now and the Cummins was getting high 16's low 17's! With Diesel between Mid and High test I'm doing alright! I also am saving $160 a month just on the car note and another $125 every 6 months on insurance. We have just bought a Corolla that is consistently getting 38/39 MPG's on every tank. This is what we use to go back and fourth to work in at around 75 miles a day! Love both of my new Toyotas!!!! It feels good to know that I helped Toyota out sell GM in the past 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: !!!! JB

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I sold my Tundra outright before I bought my Tacoma. I was able to get KBB private party for it $23.5k. Purchased a leftover 2006 which saved me a good chunk of change & got 2.9% financing. Plus, Definitely helps not being upside down or payment oriented going into the deal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm finding some decent prices on the truck I want & as others have said, they'll try to rape me on my Tundra. kbb, nada & edmunds all have my tundra trade value at around $19,900 in excellent condition which it is. One dealer offered me $17,800 and I laughed and the others are telling me those numbers aren't right. We go by black book and of course, they don't want to show ya the book lol. If I can't get what I want for it, I'll keep it since I am not going to loose two thousand plus. Time will tell. I towed my boat yesterday which is an all welded bass boat and didn't go all that far with it. Cost me around $18 in gas as I watched the damn needle drop it reminded me of why I am wanting to make the change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts