Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I grenaded my front spider gears, I bought a whole new diff and put a Powertrax lock-right in it, along with a Powertrax no-slip in the rear. Did this all last Saturday, took about 13 hours to install the front diff (I had already put the locker in the front diff, just needed to swap the diffs), install the no-slip in the rear, paint my wheels black, do an oil change, and change the transfer case fluid. My buddy gave me a hand with all the work, so that cut down on the time req'd.

AMAZING what this truck can do now! It climbs up and through anything I've thrown at it so far. And the street manners are great - other than a little pop after installation, all I hear is a small "click" every now and then - only at low speed with the stereo off. I was expecting a lot worse, but haven't had any tire squeal or "pulling" issues that I read about. It does behave a little funny when letting on and off the gas through a sweeping corner, but it's hardly noticeable. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

REAR BEFORE (OPEN DIFF):

REAR AFTER (LOCKED DIFF, NO-SLIP):

FRONT DIFF:

DAMAGE TO CARRIER AND RING:

TEETH WELDED TO RING GEAR:

CHUNKS MISSING FROM PINON:

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the front locker installed, but it looks very similar to the rear no-slip.

Here is a video of a small hill climb the morning after we installed everything. It's actually pretty steep, the video makes it look small, as video usually does. It's also very loose dirt. Amazing though, not a single bit of wheel slip...

If you're thinking of doing it, my advice is to go for it. You're only limited by your tires, and your Tundra will be able to go ANYWHERE. :devil:

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
:tu:

Awesome! Just be careful of the on-and-off the throttle when the roads are wet(in the turns), you will learn to be steady on the gas.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it rained today... Brought back good memories of when I had my Mustang! :devil:

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
You'll also have to be really careful on ice covered roads. Not just snow powder or slush, I'm talkng about ice. A front locker will cause the front end to lose traction and cause you to slide under torque. You'll have to feather the throttle.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice work! As others said, be careful on ice/snow. Thats what made me get rid of my no-slip and get an ARB, but it did work great offroad!

·
1,768 Posts
Nice work! As others said, be careful on ice/snow. Thats what made me get rid of my no-slip and get an ARB, but it did work great offroad!
Next on your list.... Front ARB locker.

And concerning a full time Front locker.
I would never get a lockright on the front.
I accidently locked the front ARB locker while driving in the rain soaked roads.
Ive later put a safety switch on where I have lock the rear ARB locker first.
Before this... It sure wasn't fun. Their was no steering away..front tires immediately gravitated toward the jersey barrier as I lost traction in the rear. Open diff breaking loose ever so slightly.
Steering was heavy and the truck did not want to turn away . It just kept going towards the barrier for what seemed like forever ... a very long 5 seconds where you keep wondering if you're gonna hit the damn wall. I wasn't doing any faster than I normally do getting on the freeway entrance. 50 mph ...very little throttle.

SPAZSTIC:
Be careful. There's no excessive speeding in your future anymore.
I already noticed a HUGE loss of traction going from my Kazuma LSD to the open diff ARB driving.
Where I could easily go full throttle in the rain up to 90-100mph ( 3 a.m. in the morning. No one around ) with the Kazuma LSD I now don't want to do any faster than 70 mph in the torrential rain storms.
Where 1-2" of standing water builds up in the tire rutted roads on the freeway.
With KM1's on. I could at any time easily do 90-100 mph in 2-3" of standing water before they fixed the roads on I-5 .
30 psi of pressure on all 4 tires. Throwing water across to the 3rd lane over to the right. And water on the drivers side straight into the jersey barriers an into the left lane on the opposite side of the freeway
Sprayed a new Lotus really bad across the middle lane when he was trying to pass before too. Like constant water across his entire windshield where I know he couldn't see.
He went over to the far right lane and I was still spraying him. That one had me laughing.
Just gonna share some traction comparisons and issues I have now.
The new KM2's suck for traction. The compound on the tires SUCK Royally compared to the BFG KM1's.
And the water does not evacuate out the sides worth a damn like the KM1's.
It can't channel water outwards smoothly at any rate of acceleration or even simple driving at the speed limits.

The KM2's with the tread pattern they put on these things toss the tire around side to side as the water builds up in the middle.
I tested the newer BFG muds with the same Kazuma LSD . No traction what-so-ever in the rain above 65 mph.
The tires simply suck. BFG traded Superior Mud/Rain traction for Rock crawling traction on the KM2's.

My next tires are going to be the Goodyear Duratrac. ( I truly HATE BFG with a passion for stopping production on the Original Mudder Tire )
The Duratracs look somewhat similar in some aspects to the BFG KM1 Mudders with the way it will evacuate water.
It pretty much has 45 degree smooth angles and smooth edges on the tread pattern for water to channel outwards.
And...Not getting water, debris/mud, etc caught up like others to jerk the steering wheel around no matter what your tire pressure is.
Other stupid Tire Companies are using Jagged angles which toss the tire around when any build up occurs. Especially water.

BTW .. WHAT tires are you Currently running ,Spaz ?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Looks to be a good setup! I have Detroit lockers front and rear and I would not have it any other way. You can have the best tires in the world, but they aren't worth a damn without lockers :cool:

·
Registered
455 Posts
AWESOME !!!!! Like others said watch out on putting the power down on a wet turn, I broke my Tundra loose on a round- a- bout

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
U guys make it sound worse than it really is. The lockrite in the front won't lock unless 4wd is engaged n under load. Turning is not an issue unless he's in 4wd. I'm sure as he also sure how n when to or not to use his 4wd. The noslip in the rear also isn't as bad as u guys make it out to be. I had it b4 to, but I took it off bcuz I tow too much, so I went with an LSD.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I better be careful here in Southern California where we get a week of rain a year... and no snow at all! Only time I ever see snow is when I go snowboarding in the mountains!

The only time I need to use 4WD now is when I can't get through something in 2WD and I switch to 4HI and then switch back to 2WD as soon as I'm through it. I would NEVER use 4WD on the road with a locked diff... that's just asking to break something.

I'm amazed at how well mannered the no-slip is. The only time I hear it now is a slight click when it's cold and I just start moving. Once it warms up, I don't hear a thing. It doesn't squeal through corners, although you can hear the tires gripping more. The torque steer when letting on/off the throttle is hardly noticeable. I expected it to be a lot more Unmanageable, but am really surprised - and happy - that it drives so close to stock (except when you get it off road)!

As for doing 90-100mph on a freeway with 2-3" of water..... yeah, that's not really a problem for me. I try not to donate more of my hard earned $$$ to the PD than I need to. :D My tires are in my sig, they're Tread Right re-treads. Have worked excellent for me, and only cost $100/tire - and they look identical to BFG A/Ts (even have the BFG casings). I generally drive slow anyway, and take it easy on the skinny, so maybe that's why it was so easy for me to adapt. I do try to coast around turns a little more now, but that's it.

EDIT: Would have got ARBs front and rear if I had the $$$, but oh well. Maybe someday...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts