Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just put down a deposit on a '05 Access Cab SR5 v8 4WD. Show-room condition, less than 6K (yes, you read that right, 6 thousand) miles. Not so much as a scratch in the bed. Tires still had those little rubber nibs on them :) .

As near as I can tell, I've got the factory tow package, but that's about it for options. No stability control, standard open differential, etc.

I've got a couple of newbie questions for all of you. Please indulge a rookie for a few more lines:

I'm planning a stop at my local Toyota dealer in the near future (I did not buy it from a Toyota dealer) to be sure there are no open recalls/programs on the vehicle. Are there any I should be concerned and ask specifically about? What, if anything, do I have to do to transfer what's left of the factory warranty?

Even though it's got less than 6K, it's already seen 2 New England winters. What time-based (instead of mileage-based) maintenance items should I attend to?

My initial intention is to have a spray-on bed liner installed. Which (rhino, line-x, etc.) has the best reputation? Is color matching worth it?

Finally, what's the #1 modification you've made to your truck to improve its looks or performance?

Thanks for all your time. After 5 years in a penalty-box Ranger, I'm really looking forward to many years of reliable use of my new (used) Tundra.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Find out if the vehicle has had the ball joint replaced. This is a recall from Toyota. Spray on bedliners that keep their shine is what I put on my 06 DC Tundra. Cant remember the name but keeps the shine.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
welcome aboard. you should go to the dealer and get a vehicle inquiry to see if the lower ball joint has already been replaced. that is probably the only major problem. ad for maintenance, you should check the owners manual and they will give you two options, mileage wise or time wise. it's up to you to see which one you will follow. don't know about spray on liners. i bought a bed liner for my truck, i got it for 150 at a Toyota dealer, a steal i think. as for a mod, i think to make the truck look better, a mild lift will look nice. just my .02

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome, remember the best improvement you allready did , you got a Tundra! Caution, after driving that Ranger you'll not realize how fast your going and get a ticket. Many times I've looked down at the speedo and said, Whoa!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Took delivery today and am already reaping the benefits of joining this forum. Several days ago I read a few posts on the problems associated with the aluminum valve stem caps and the TPS sensors. Sure enough, 2 were frozen. Rather than wreck the sensors with pliers, I was able to cut off the frozen caps with a small file. No damage ;)

Does anyone find a benefit of running modestly increased (3-5 lbs) tire pressures for better mileage?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Bedliner & bed rails to keep the bed from being damaged, tonneau to avert prying eyes & keep stuff dry, add a limited slip to the rear end, keep smaller tires for better mileage. A little more air(I use 35 lbs all around) lowers rolling resistance but too much will wear down the center rib faster. Keep a clean air filter in it;don't waste your money on K&N, use stock paper ones. Some Tundras get better mileage than others. You'll just have to wait & see. It gets what it gets & there's not a lot you can do. I've had my '05 for 18 months and still look forward to driving it each morning.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
If you don't do a lot of rough off roading, I'd recommend getting an anti-sway bar. I like the spray in liners and a nice tonneau cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume you mean adding a rear bar, right? My truck has a fairly substantial-looking front anti-sway bar already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 5 years in a penalty-box Ranger, I'm really looking forward to many years of reliable use of my new (used) Tundra.

Now thats funny. Congrats on the Tundra. I love the VSE subwoofer in my '06 DC, but I don't think it'll fit yours. Tonneau cover for sure. The best accessory would have to be a gas card - in someone else's name! Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Welcome to TS! Congrats on the Tundra!!

I personally prefer Rhino Lining. I would have a Toyota dealer run the VIN to see if it has had the Ball Joint recall done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts