Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here we go. I finally found a first generation RCLB after over a year of searching. It is a 2003, 128k, SR5. Main frame is in good shape, actually really good shape (which makes me believe it has been replaced)...the rest of the undercarriage, well, not so good. The rear differential is rusted through and my shop guy is looking for a replacement as I type. Springs are pretty bad as well. Hitch is trash and already removed. My first question is do I need to replace the whole differential from a donor or is there an aftermarket replacement? And “what else do I need to look for underneath with regard to rust?“. I am planning to put a banks monster exhaust on it So I have the rusted exhaust covered
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would just find a complete replacement. I have been happy with my HD springs from ATS. General spring in KC also has springs for these trucks.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
make sure you e-brake is working and you use it, this is how the rear drums are kept adjusted and will keep you from overworking the front brakes. When they go out of adjustment all the stopping is done by the front.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
"make sure you e-brake is working and you use it, this is how the rear drums are kept adjusted and will keep you from overworking the front brakes. When they go out of adjustment all the stopping is done by the front."

I know this is how it's supposed to work but this has never been my experience over the last four Toyotas with rear drums. I've always had to manually adjust brake drums periodically, and I've always used my ebrake 100% of the time. Even when I factory purchased a 2006 Limited Edition Tundra DC (that I still love and drive daily), I had to give up and manually adjust rear brakes to get a firm, consistent pedal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts