Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly I am getting my new pedal tomorrow after waiting and getting a line of BS for almost 2 months. I also have a vibration up through the shimmed pedal and slightly through the floor pan for 4,000 miles and 2 months. Left the truck there for 3 days and this afternoon on the 3rd day they decide to now check for the vibration and guess what the tech does not feel it, though one tech before did and they did nothing. They have no idea. Their solution to a problem is to drive a new tundra on the lot to see if they do it. We will see tomorrow. Stay away from the service department at Byers Toyota in Delaware Ohio. :beatsme:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know exactly whatcha mean. Good luck.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I absolutly hate dealership service departments!! Good luck to you, I've heard nothing but great things about the new pedal. My service guy told me that there is no new pedal and he also didn't know anything about sinking dash, yet he drives an '08 Tundra. Their stupidity amazes me! My wife ripped the sales people in the survey saying that I knew so much more about toyotas than the people that work there!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey Maylon when I talked to the service manager today over at Yokem, he admitted Toyota had a new pedal and has ordered one for me. I've been dealing with Gary, can't remember the service managers name though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know after I bought my used 07 5.7 tundra. I realized how touchy and how bad the pedal felt. I ended up having the shims replaced because the dealer that did the mod first supposedly used the wrong shims. I gave the new mod a try and ended up calling again but this time i asked for the service manager. So, might be better if you go directly to him. If you haven't already. The new pedal is awesome..BIG difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess I got lucky...I am having my new pedal installed as we speak.

All I had to do was call the service department and let them know I wasn't happy with the shim and I had an appointment the following day for the new pedal. No questions asked.

Update: All they did was remove the shim which is fine by me. The shim put the pedal at an odd angle which made it uncomfortable to drive and of course created the sensitivity issue as well. It's all documented as well which makes it pretty clear there never was an issue with the pedal in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New pedal installed and cut down on the vibrations coming through the gas pedal. Dealership still sucks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love the new pedal and my dealership's service department even more. I wish I could say the same about the parts department. :pound: Haha... just kidding, I love both departments.. just a bunch of cool and professional guys at my dealership. :highfive:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my new pedal put in on Monday, and it is much better than the shimmed pedal. I immediately noticed the poor pedal feel after having the shim installed and asked about getting a new pedal. My dealer made me wait until I got the recall notice for it, and then made me get the shimmed pedal trimmed, and then I had to go through the motions of complaining about the pedal so they could order a new one on Toyota's tab. But it is definitely worth the effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the new pedal as well. It seemed the shimmed one was waaaay to sensitive. I would get whiplash driving down the road over frost heaves cause of the gas being blipped. The new pedal is a night and day diffrence in my book. I told my dealership that I wanted one and waited about 2 months. Now if I could only convince my service manager there are zerks under the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wonder if the reason the Stealerships will not put the new peddle in first is because they get paid by Toyota everytime they work on our rigs!

Seems it would be best to just fix the problem right the first time. I still have not done mine yet, but I only have 7 thousand miles on my rig. I will call the shop this coming week and see if I can not go straight to the new peddle.

Webby

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yup, everytime you come in for warranty work, the dealer gets a check from Toyota. If they can make you come in twice, they get twice the money.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Hey Maylon when I talked to the service manager today over at Yokem, he admitted Toyota had a new pedal and has ordered one for me. I've been dealing with Gary, can't remember the service managers name though.
Thanks for the info man, next time I go there I think I'm gonna call first and talk to Gary. He's by far the best service writer up there. The service managers name is David Key.

·
Registered
63 Posts
shim= bad idea
new pedal= brilliant idea
whoever came up with the shim idea= STUPID!
dealership that gives you the run around about installing a new pedal if you are not satisfied with the shim even though it clearly says on the recall notice that you can have a new pedal if you are not satisfied= bad for business. (I'm not gonna call any names but their initials are Palmer's Toyota in Mobile, Al.)

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
In the grand scheme of things. Shim = cheap = brilliant idea... for them anyway. And for the many that dont notice any differece... it doesnt really matter. Also not in the news anymore. But i do feel your stealership pain.

·
Registered
63 Posts
STEALERSHIP! HA!

·
Registered
379 Posts
For the millionth time... the dealership has to do the shim first because that was what they told the government was the solution. They were forced by the govt to come up with a solution in a short time frame. It's easier to make a couple million shims in a week than it is to make a couple million new pedals. They have to do the shim first even if they come up with the "real" solution next week. Welcome to how the govt works... why anyone would want them running healthcare is beyond me!

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Is the "new" pedal smaller than the one that originally came on the truck due to the possible floor mat issue?

I had my original pedal "shaved" today per the service manager's advice. Now all I have to do is call back tomorrow and complain that I don't like it and he will go to his boss and get my new pedal ordered. Should be in sometime next week.

I would like to install the Sport Pedal covers but I am leary to purchase them now since they slip over the existing pedals and this "new" designed pedal may be smaller, thus not allowing the Sport Pedal cover to fit.

Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The old sports pedal fits just fine, is tight, and restores the original length. Your choice to put it on or not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts