Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use to have my sportsman street dumped but i got some piping welded back on in the stock location and a tip and man does it sound way throatier, and cleaner, and with the low up back up to where it was, it feels like i have a new engine or something =], only one problem tho, they only had 2 1/2 inch and 3 inch piping i asked for 2 1/2 and i think they put 3 on, would i notice that much of a difference in low end going from 3" after the muffler down to 2 1/2inch, because if so, im going back and giving em my word, by the way i got it done at speedway muffler off haven if anyone is familiar with them.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
yes there would be a lil loss of low if 3" was used... i'd double check what they put and make sure its 2 1/2 ... alot of muffler shops see the "V8" and assume it will be better with 3". dead wrong though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright thanks ill have to double check and measure the piping im pretty sure its 3" when i glanced at it because it said 3.00 and some other number

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, 3" is way too big. I had it and lost quite a bit off the bottom. Went back towards stock in stages until I got ahold of another stock setup. Just replace the muffler and put a nice tip on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I went back down to the shop yesterday afternoon and told them that i had asked for 2 1/2" piping because that was the smallest they had, and the owned who helped me out last time gladly honored my wishes and said "it was my mistake i thought you had a bigger engine because it was a full size truck" after i had told him its only a 4.7l v8, so now i have 2 1/2" piping after the muffler and a tip and it feels like a new engine. I never really realized how much i lost on the low end, i actually look forward to driving my truck now =]

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
hey ur welcome and glad he was cool about it and tool ownership and replaced....
haha but like i said they see that its a "V8" and assume it will run better with 3"...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha yeah i havent experienced the assumption till now

·
Registered
722 Posts
I guess I should have done what I had planned from the start.Got a Zoomers cat-back system and went ahead with the 3" pipe from the muffler to the tip.When I asked about it before ordering I was told it would be fine.When I first called I asked about the price for just the muffler and tip so I could stay with stock size.For the 120$ more for the 3" pipe I probably could have kept stock size and had it custom bent to get it a little higher like Toyota could have done.Frank from Zoomers sent me a resonator to hush it up just a bit and it really did the trick.It was gonna holler at me under-load towing up the hills to Canada this summer so I took care of it now.Prolly save some pennies for a while then get some 2 1/2" pipe bent and flared to fit the muffler and tip.After that, the grunt I may have lost will be back and it'll still sound great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts