Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here, I did a search and did not find anything on this subject, so any help would be great. This is my second Tundra. I had an 02, then got a Titan, and now back to an 08 DC Tundra. I put some 22"s on last night and the center cap will not fit on tthe front rims due to the grease cap. The OD of the cap will not give enough clearance for the tabs on the center cap to go in. I tried the hammer and screwdriver method to pop it off but did not want to force it. Can I pull that cap and leave it off? Is it sealed in there or is it full of grease? If I have to leave the grease cap on, I not sure what I can do to get my center caps on. I guess I could cut the tabs and 2 part apoxy them on to the rim. However, I am not sure how well plastic and metal will adhere to eachother on the rims. Ideally I would like to loose the grease cap. The rear does not have this cap and the center caps went on fine. I just went outside at work and took a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
easiest thing IMO would be to get some small wheel adapters or spacers and if you space them out from the hub with them just a little bit, they will fit from what i can tell. u dont want to glue or anything the center cap, u need to be able to remove it for tire repair/balancing etc. plus it wont hold..dont ask how i know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I spoke to the the company I got the wheels from and they said they are going to send 1/4 spacers. However, I worry about the structural integrity of the studs with the use of the spacers. Anyone have experience with the use of spacers? What is behind that grease cap? Is is sealed behind there and can I just remove it?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
This is not the first I have heard of this. Send them back to the manufacturer and have them enlarge the center hole in the rim and give correctly sized caps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts