Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Bought an '06 limited (4wd) from a dealer in Bay Area. I guess Silver or Gray (I should really look that up, since I need to order touchup paint). It has a lot of miles (122k), and its slightly abused. But the problems are minor. The liftgate support struts were bad, which I replaced couple of days ago. $41 for a pair of 'strong arm'. Very easy to replace. Had to get wife to help me hold up the liftgate.

There are lots of scratches, mostly on the liftgate, a few on the passenger side. I'm going t o try out some of the buffing/waxing techniques, as most of them look very shallow. There are two chips, on the passenger side, and showing a little rust. Not sure how to clean that. I need to order the touchup paint atleast after I figure it out.

Also I'm missing the little cover that for where the liftgate pull strap is tied to. And another similiar cover/moulding that goes around the seat belt locks and where they mount to the seat. Is there a site that is good to look up those parts, by picture, so I know what to order? I think I'll have tough luck finding a sequoia in a junkyard where I can get those miscellaneous parts manually, so I guess I'll probably just have to order them new. Whats the experience with you guys?

And also I need to find the FSM for this truck. I have one for my Maxima (pdf based) and it really helped me out when I replaced the starter/iacv/fuel filters/belts etc.

Oh, I knew it was probably a waste of money but I bought 2yr/24k extended warranty for $1500. Got the truck for $18k ($19.5k w/ warranty). Drives great, but its a little insurance in case the dealer/prev owner didn't disclose major problems properly.

Anyway, thanks for reading...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome,

Sounds like a nice ride.....this may be your color....phantom-gray-pearl? I really like that color.

I still haven't bought the FSM for mine, I did get the Haynes manual from Amazon for $15 or so.....will work until I need something better.

There is a place to get the factory plastic parts, can't remember the link right now...but will post it up when I find it.

A PC / Porter Cable buffer should make short work of those scratches...reminds me I need to get busy with mine.

Enjoy the new ride, there is a ton of great info here if you have any issues or want to do some modifications. :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
This place may have the trim pieces you need.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks a lot for the links. I found the original window sticker and its silver sky metallic. Yeah, I really like the darker color (phantom gray pearl) but didn't have the luck to find it. Oh, what is the inside color called. It looks like a light gray. On that site, its only 'fawn' and 'charcoal'. charcoal seems like a very dark gray, while fawn, seems like a tan color.

Two issues I forgot to ask about earlier. First the keys/remote: The truck didn't come with a keyfob remote. Just one black key. The key is also a little stiff to get out of the ignition block. if I turn off the truck and pull the key out fast in one motion, its not bad, but its definitely not smooth like my 3 other cars/truck; when wife tries to remove the key, which is slowly, she has trouble. If it gets worse, can I just go to a locksmith and get it rekeyed or do I have to buy new locking cylinders or whatever from the dealer? And about the remote, can I buy any '06 remote (probably used since its cheap) from ebay? or they have to have a certain FCC ID, etc.? And same with the blank black-transponder keys. Is there a specific model I have to get?

Second issue is brake pedal feel. It seems a little stiff. Stiff as in, I have to apply a little more pressure than my other suv/cars. This one actually I might have to compare with another sequoia. Maybe its just something I have to get used to.

As far as mods... if rear suspension goes, I might replace with little more sportier/stiffer shocks in the rear, and the land cruiser (stiffer and an inch or two longer) springs. Probably replace the factory radio/cd with a double-din nav. And almost definitely some type of video playback for the kids/passengers in the rear. Have to do some reading in the other forums/subforums, as I don't know at all about the product offerings and/or limitations. I'm sure I'll probably want more mods, when I see or read about 'em. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sounds like the key you have is not the original, and you may have to get one from the dealer along with a new fob. I think you can get a used fob and have it reprogrammed but I'm not sure.

As far as your brake pedal, I'm not sure what you mean by stiff. You definitely don't want mushy. I think you mean that it takes a lot of pressure to stop you...and that is due to the weight of the vehicle. It could also be the type of pads that were used on the last brake job.

For other used parts, you can also try car-parts.com and you can look up the part you want at the salvage yard close to you. California has a ton of Sequoias, and I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.

Have fun with your new ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts