Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just picked up an 05 Sequoia SR5 4x2 with 120k on the clock and had a few questions. To my knowledge, it hasn't had the 90k service so I know it needs a timing belt and water pump change which I plan to do. What else should I do? Is there anything else I should be aware of or first things I should be looking for in a truck with this many miles?

A little more info: from what I can tell this car has no upgrades except for leather seats (but no seat heater :sad3d:) and a single-disc JBL audio system. No fog lights, no DRLs, no nav or rear video. Every other upgrade I read about seems like this one doesn't have. It does have 20" wheels though. So here's some more questions I have:

As far as interior lighting, I don't know what all is supposed to have lights and what might have burnt out lights. I noticed the homelink has a few bulbs out but I read how to replace those. The "Rear fan" light on the dash is out. Is this supposed to have a light in it? Anyone have a picture of the interior at night will all proper buttons lit that I can use as a reference?

Audio: What head units have you guys put in that are compatible with the factory JBL amp? Are these just plug and play? I've been looking at the latest model Pioneer head units (AVH-P4400BH or AVH-X3500BHS). Anybody have one of these installed? Or what do you guys like?

Exterior lights: How easy is it to get to all the bulbs in the headlights? Like most everyone says, the stock headlights are pretty dim and yellow and I'm looking at wanting to get whiter lights. I've read a lot about HID, HIR, LED and others, but would prefer something that's a direct swap, but not oppose to having to wire up HID if it's truly worth it. Any direct replacement lights like projectors for the 05 models?
I really don't like having the blanks in where the fog lights are, but read one thread about adding them and it seemed pretty in depth. Anybody add them and think it's worth it? Is it even possible to add the stock lights since the headlight switch in the car is different? Can you swap that out for the one with the fog light ring on it?

Tires: And lastly, as I stated it has 20" wheels with 275/55/20 on them now, but they are pretty worn and will need replacing soon. Anybody running these same size tires? What brands/models do you like/suggest?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! :ts:

· Premium Member
562 Posts
I wish i had some answers for ya, but I dont right now. There aren't many Sequoia owners on this site, but there are a few. Hopefully they will chime in, or a tundra owner that has delt with these issues will see this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
02 Sequoia
162 Posts
There is a thread on these forums about replacing the homelink lights and dash lights. "Search LED lights" or "homelink". TThe rear fan button does have a light.

I have the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH. I love it, thought my only gripe is it doesn't have very good bluetooth AVRCP compatibility with Android devices. If you get the "master sheet" instructions and wiring adapter from Crutchfield, it's an incredibly easy install.

Foglights can be added I'm sure using an OEM headlight switch or an auxiliary switch. While, I'm not experienced with this, there is a thread about this topic too. I would also refrain from installing HIDs in the OEM reflector housings. Your lowbeams will have too much scatter and anyone in front of you will be blinded.

My Sequoia came with 20'' wheels from the previous owner and I'm just not a fan at all. I like having more tire than wheel. 275/55 or 265/55 sounds about right though.

Picture of the headunit and wheels:
lifted toyota sequoia - Imgur

Edit: I Just read through the random comments on the imgur album I posted. Apparently, based on my Sequoia, I have a small penis. LOL

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Disco!
I actually got the homelink lights today and will be putting them in tonight.

I really like the look of your Pioneer head unit. I will definitely look into that. Did you have the JBL system in your Sequoia prior? If so, does it work with the built-in amp?

Since you recommend against HIDs in the stock housing, do you recommend any other headlight upgrade?

I like the look of your wheels and tires, what tires do you have? Right now I can't afford to replace the wheels so I'll have to stick with what I got. I don't mind the look of the 20's though. Fills out the wheel well.

Yeah comments are pretty useless unless on a forum like this. Some people just can't appreciate a good looking vehicle without resorting to 6-year-old name calling.

What part of California is that? Looks similar to where I'm from (LA County).

· Registered
02 Sequoia
162 Posts
I do have the JBL system, and yes it works fine with the stock amp. There is a blue amp-on wire that connects to the JBL amp.

I haven't found any decent upgrades on headlights yet.:( I've been looking into retrofitting Acura or Lexus D2R projectors into the headlights, but that requires a whole lot of work and time that I don't have.

The wheels are KMC XD Series XD122 Enduro, 16x8 ET0. I like the look of 20s also, and so did the ladies when I had 20s on my Sequoia.:) I like running over things a lot though so I switched to 16s in order to have more tire, lol.

The pictures were taken near my office in NorCal south bay area, which is super similar to the LA area.:)

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have the JBL system, and yes it works fine with the stock amp. There is a blue amp-on wire that connects to the JBL amp.
So did you need the PAC Toyota adapter thing? On crutchfield, it says to use the stock JBL amp you need the adapter. I guess if you don't use it the fade and balance controls don't work? Something like that.

I like running over things a lot though so I switched to 16s in order to have more tire, lol.
I do too, but I have an old CJ-7 for that :) I do miss the mountains in California though, those were some good trails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.