Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bad boy from a distributor in MI and am one of the first to get it. Since it uses its own compact compressor and I didn't know if it would sound cheesy. Well needless to say I am impressed. I can't say that it is ear deafening but it is definitely loud and sounds exactly the same tone as a tractor-trailer. Installation was easy as it comes with a relay. You just have to run a wire from the battery, through a 30 amp fuse to the relay and then from the relay to the horn. The negative on the horn is just wired to the frame. Then you cut the two wires from one of your factory horns and wire to the relay. I disabled the second horn as well because I didn't want it messing up the sound of the truck horn.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Does it have a little air storage tank or does the compressor pump air directly into the horn "on demand"?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Where did you purchase it? I would like to see and hear it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you purchase it? I would like to see and hear it!
Do not get this confused with the Stebel Nautilus compact MOTORCYCLE horn. It is the Stebel Compact Nautilus Truck Horn and it blasts out a 300 hz tone just like a Semi. I listened to a bunch of the Wolo's on line and wanted one with the built in compressor, but they all sounded chintzy. I took a chance on this one and I'm impressed.

I got the distributor info directly from Stebel because an internet search would not show any of these up since they are so new. I ordered from this guy..

Sound Engineering Consultants
2910 Cedarwood
Traverse City, MI 49686

[email protected] Sent him a check for $76.00 and the horn arrived about a week later.

Check here STEBEL S.p.a. and click on: products/ tuning/ nautilus compact TRUCK horn to see it and listen. It sounds just like that. It is the only deep tone compact horn I could find that didn't cost hundreds of dollars and need an onboard compressor. I blasted it today out in front of my ex's house and it even echoed between the houses like the sound byte on their website sounds.

You can kind of toggle back and forth on their website to listen to how this compact sounds to what a "real" Semi horn with compressor sounds like, go to Pneumatics/Heavy Duty/JUM2 and give that baby a listen.

·
Registered
843 Posts
. . .It sounds just like that. . . .
I want one! I want a better horn for the truck, butI don't want to pay the $400 to get the train horns. I think this is the answer.

Does the horn sound instantly when you hit the horn button, or does it take a second for the compressor to catch up?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
sounds pretty impressive.....haven't used the stock horn much but will have to give it another listen and see how "puny" the stock horn is...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want one! I want a better horn for the truck, butI don't want to pay the $400 to get the train horns. I think this is the answer.

Does the horn sound instantly when you hit the horn button, or does it take a second for the compressor to catch up?
It sounds instantly. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds pretty impressive.....haven't used the stock horn much but will have to give it another listen and see how "puny" the stock horn is...
Stock horn IMO does not fit the rugged look of the truck and that is why I wanted it changed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
LOL Yeah I hit the horn button just to hear it the other day and I was like looking around cause I was in a parking lot and I thought was that me??? ... So I hit it again and said oh hell it was me lol ... I crawled off hoping no one heard it came from my truck lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
$76.00! Thats pretty cheap. Sounds really really good for how puny it looks. Did it come with all parts needed to install it? Relay, wires, etc and instructions on how to wire it? Does it come with some sort of a switch or button you can mount inside the cab if you want it seperate from the main steering wheel horn? Thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Let's get a group buy going! I want one!

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I want one too! Been wrestling with a dual trumpet with compressor (no tank) and it has been a bear to get going, and to get simpson straps cut just right to hang in front of the rad.

Does this thing mount in the same spot as the OEM horn that you removed? Nice and compact and doesn't even weigh 1.5# suhweeeet!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sign me up too for a group buy!!!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$76.00! Thats pretty cheap. Sounds really really good for how puny it looks. Did it come with all parts needed to install it? Relay, wires, etc and instructions on how to wire it? Does it come with some sort of a switch or button you can mount inside the cab if you want it seperate from the main steering wheel horn? Thanks.:cool:
$76.00 including shipping!! It comes with the horn, a tube adapter to run the intake to a cleaner place if needed, a relay, and single bolt mounting. Stuff I added: right angle bracket (you could probably bend the OEM one and use it), 30 amp fuse, wiring, connectors and spades. It went right where the OEM ones were and I pulled both of those out. The wiring diagrams and instructions are on the box.

I will take some photo's of the install when I get a chance. It definitely isn't as loud as a semi but it has the deep tone and I think any louder and it would be illegal for in-town use. It does 110 db at 2 meters (134db at 4 inches) so you can use that to compare to loudness of other setups. Bear in mind that it is much easier to go louder the higher in frequency you go. However, lower tones penetrate and travel further, i.e., boomy bass from a car at lower db's can be heard inside your home easier.

I'd like to do a side by side comparison now in front of my Tundra and one with the stock setup but I don't know anyone with a Tundra. Maybe I'll go by the dealer and do it. Heck, if isn't loud enough, you could mount two like the stock set-up and still be way ahead on the hassle of compressor install. Again, the tone on the website is exactly what i sounds like in person.

By the way I got to use it for the first time today on a guy who crossed into my lane while he was messing with his cell phone and he just about jumped out of his seat. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the one!! They just came out. The Nautilus technology is pretty simple. It basically winds the normal length of a trombone in an increasing circle like the Nautilus shell. That way it doesn't take up all that space and still gives you that long trombone sound.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
That's the one!! They just came out. The Nautilus technology is pretty simple. It basically winds the normal length of a trombone in an increasing circle like the Nautilus shell. That way it doesn't take up all that space and still gives you that long trombone sound.
It sounds awesome...I just wish there was a more secure and easier way to order it...I don't know if I want to order it from an Australian company because who knows how long it will take to get to the US and who knows if it will even make it to me...Hopefully they pop up for sale in some other US companies.:laughing::ts: I might just order it from that Aussie site because man that is so sweeeet! Definitely if you get a chance post some pics and maybe vids too...Great find!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Try this one: link
Southern Ca ebay store. 45.95+9.00 shipping

Just checked ebay and came up with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds awesome...I just wish there was a more secure and easier way to order it...I don't know if I want to order it from an Australian company because who knows how long it will take to get to the US and who knows if it will even make it to me...Hopefully they pop up for sale in some other US companies.:laughing::ts: I might just order it from that Aussie site because man that is so sweeeet! Definitely if you get a chance post some pics and maybe vids too...Great find!
Go back and check this thread. I left two email addressesd for two different guys in the US that have them.

1 - 20 of 520 Posts