Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ditching the AHC

So Adaptive Height Control is already off. Replaced with some used coils and new Nivomat load leveling struts from an 04 model. Tomorrow I'll install some 5100s and replace almost all the replaceable front components. I'll get some pics loaded this weekend or Monday.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
477 Posts
Are you just going to live with the Height Control -> Normal indicator light on the dash?
How did you disable the AHC system so it doesn't give an error or try to run the compressor incessantly?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't made it that far. I reconnected the height sensor and I think at normal height it will be ok. I also figure there is a fuse or something I can unhook somewhere. I'd really like to be able to use the manual setting to be able to inflate and deflate sobe firestone helper airbags.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What should I set my 5100s at? I'd like to bring the front up some to close to level. I didn't get to measure ride height before.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So drove it this morning. Rides so much better than the worn out rear suspension. All you need in the center coil rubber piece, isolator, whatever you want to call it, a spring and a new shock. I used the Nivomat shock from the 02-04 self leveling Sequoias. They are cheaper than the non-self leveling. OMG are they freakin heavy!!

[iurl="http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259113&d=1436792347"]
[/iurl]

Removal I followed this thread about 4runners How To: Convert RAS to Coils - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum. It is pretty straight forward. The nice thing is the lower coil mount is already there on the sequoia. I used a sawzall to remove the strut. I just cut as high up on the rubber that I could. If I had had a die grinder and cut off disc it would have been a lot easier. I loosed upper and lower panhard bar mounts to get some extra articulation and disconnected the ride height sensor. I also would jack up one side to drop the other during spring installation to get the room I needed.

For removing the airbag, I disconnected the airlines at the splitter. You just pull the plastic clip back and yank the line out. Then squeeze the airbag to get the air out of it. To disconnect the airline from the bag I pulled it down and through the upper hole to disconnect the plastic clip. Easier than trying to get your hand on top of the frame and you have enough slack.

[iurl="http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259121&d=1436792477"]
[/iurl]

My only concern was that when I cut the old strut off, the top was assembled like the picture below and the white line being the frame. However the new one came with the piece that matched the upper part but just one washer and rubber piece like below 1/2. I took one of these washers and used it when I reinstalled so it went back together like the picture. I don't know if this was right or wrong. My 4runner service manual only from bottom to top, washer, rubber, body, washer-rubber-washer assembly. I forgot to look at it until the day after I got the back wrapped up.

[iurl="http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259129&d=1436792516"]
[/iurl]

Right now I just have the Man. light and the middle ride height light on. I'll work on that later. I need to put some vacuum caps over the airlines to keep crap from getting in to them right now. I also need to sort out the bump stops. I didn't reinstall the old ones. Nonw AHC have shorter ones so I am going to see if some energy suspension Jeep ones will fit. A salvage yard has some but they annoyed me by telling me they couldn't get them off so I'll go back there as a last resort.

[iurl="http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259145&d=1436791245"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=259137&d=1436791230"]
[/iurl]

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
477 Posts
Looks great! Do those Nivomat shocks have the same compressed and extended length as the shocks you removed?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the compressed length is. The picture looks like they are a little longer but when the ass end of the truck has the ability to raise it's self an inch and a half and retain it's damping ability I would hope so. I think the best test would be someone with AHC that is fully functional, measure hub to flare height and compare that. I would imagine the Nivomat length is about the same as the standard shock height. Might be a little higher with new OEM springs vs the used ones I picked up.

I'm busy tonight but I plan on loading several hundred lbs in the back and measuring height before driving and after driving to see how much of a difference that made. I have several 80lb bags of concrete that got wet and turned in to a much heavier chunks of concrete.

·
Registered
15 Posts
pkt, Looks Awesome! I love that leveled stance! Great tutorial. My 05 is non AHC and i have been contemplating new coilovers in front and rear shocks. I still have stock suspension at 143K. the drivers seat ride doesn't seem awful, but i rode in the 3rd row last week when my in-laws were in town and let my wife drive. The ride back there was Awful. I felt like i was getting tossed around all over the place. I could feel every bump in my tailbone and lower back. Have you ridden in the rear since the change out? Also on a scale of 1-10 what would you say the ride was before and after your new setup. Just curious. I see people post things like a million times better ride with the 5100's or 100 times better ride. I trust your opinion on what the real scale of ride difference is. Again, looks great.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can say I have never ridden in anything but the drivers seat in the car. I'll ask my wife when she gets back to ride in the middle row. I don't have the 3rd row in right now and I don't know if anyone has ridden in it since I purchased last Nov. I drove to Missouri over 4th of July weekend and the whole time there was an annoying shimmy from the back end. This is gone now.

It is hard to make a really make a comparison. There was an improvement just getting my new tires from the worn out ones that were on there. I thought it was a nice improvement. Before the airbags leaked and I am sure the shocks were worn out. The front ball joints were toast when I removed them and the front shocks leaking for who knows how long. I would give it a 5 before everything, 6 after tires, and a 9 after all the new suspension and alignment. There were some really rough spots on the way to work that I feel 10% of what I did before.

I would probably guess some of the 5100s ride is where you set the height. The higher the spring cup, higher the lift, the firmer the ride because of the preload on the spring. If you are ever up in Tulsa and want to ride in the back to compare, let me know. I'll post up what my wife thinks when she gets back to town.

If you back end bounces around like that, I would try some new shocks first. Excessive bounce is usually shocks that have lost their damping ability. The Nivomats I used are available online for about $53 a piece but I bet shipping isn't cheap. Local dealership give me a military discount which didn't price them quite as low as that but less hassle to pick them up. Also they didn't charge me tax....shhhh!

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
477 Posts
pkt- What's the part number for those Nivomat shocks?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks great!

What height did you set the 5100s at in the front? What is your ride height now, from hub center to flare on all 4 corners?

I never did the front springs of my Sequoia, been wanting to do 5100s for a while. I can't for the life of me remember how high the rear of mine came out after the land cruiser springs swap.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have the PN for the shocks in front of me and I hate searching from my phone. I think it was milbro on here that has been the Nivomat prophet. I just searched the word Nivomat and found in after a couple of threads.

The 5100s are on the middle setting. I'm at 21-1/8 in the front and 22 in the back. I'll measure again in a few thousand to see how much they have settled.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just went out and measured mine. The rear is at 23". So I guess those land cruiser springs gave me only about an inch of lift over stock. So if I use the 5100s I'll have to be on the second to highest setting or possibly the highest? Bilstein's website says 0" to 2.5" of adjustment and if yours are on the middle setting then the highest should be 22 3/8". Also, which spring did you use with the 5100?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll probably have to go with the highest. There are instructions with them and approximate lift for each position. I did not get them back from the shop. I'm just on the srock front spring. Are you on 100 series springs?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the springs cheap off ebay, the part number on them was from the 105 series land cruiser (the one that kept the solid axles and straight 6 engine but wasn't sold in the usa). I think the 100 series springs would have lifted it even more. Seems like the 105 springs is midway in height between the sequoia and 100 series.

Did you keep the old springs in front or buy new originals? I'm worried about keeping the old springs. I think if I'm doing the whole job already I might as well put new springs too.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the original 217k springs on it. I am sure a little more lift/ride quality could be had with new ones but this was kind of an unplanned project when I couldn't get an alignment after new tires because of a bad lower ball joint. I am satisfied with what I came away with though. If I were going to put new springs one I would probably get longer Eibach springs and set the spring perch lower as well. I think some Tundra guys have done this.

On a side note 5100s are good but old in the Bilstein lineup. They have some beefier shocks now for people doing some serious wheeling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't do any crazy wheeling. There isn't enough available near by. I went out to PA near the old coal mines and found some old mining access roads. That was fun. Slightly bent a running board getting over a big dirt pile. I want to go to Rausch Creek one of these weekends. Need to do the front first and remove the running boards. I think the 5100s are fine for my scenario and they're relatively cost effecient. I just need to figure out what spring I'm going to use..... I might just buy new originals. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any ideas on how to wire up a small indicator light for when the compressor kicks on? I thinking have a small leak and im wondering how often its kicking on during road trips seeing as you cant tell while rpms are at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just converted my 2005 sequoia from AHC to coil overs a couple days ago after much research and looking all over the internet. I ended up going with OME 2862 coil overs and Toytec rear shocks. This job was not as bad as I was expecting shockingly (no pun intended) compared to the front !!#$%^&&* that is for another story.
I followed Josh from 1st gen off roads video pretty straight forward.

The hardest part is using the spring compressors to get the springs compressed enough to fit into the correct position(not really hard just time consuming). I used a small bottle jack (Josh used the jack that comes with the Sequoia) to slowly raise the lower control arm up into position once I had the new spring in position and then undo the spring compressors.
Also their is a clip on top of the air bag (see pic)I was able reach in just above the frame rail with a pair of long nose needle pliers to pull the clip off. Also here is a detailed link about how to remove the clips that the hoses use to attach to the air bag.

Toyota sells a $35 tool 09730-00010 to get the hose to release. If your just throwing it away you could just cut it also. (when you cut air will come out the hose) Someone also suggested cutting a tip off of a caulk tube make a slit in it to wrap around hose that looks like the part above. I tried this it worked on one side but I just cut the other side since it is no longer needed for me. I did have to use some pliers and tap it with a hammer to force caulk tip to release the hose. One you get the hoses off you can just pull the air bags out and the hose through the hole in the top. To get the air bags off just grab the metal base and wiggle it around and push up and out to get it out of the lower spring seat area. It comes out pretty easy.

After doing this I was expecting a light on my dash to come on for the height control I drove it around even got up to 50miles an hour and still no light. I don't know if I am just luck or what but I will take it.

So again all you need is new coils, new rear shocks and rubber isolators. I used these isolators from Dobinson's they say they are only for a Lexus GX460/470. Unless you can find some originals in a junk yard might be cheaper.
Exit Offroad said that they will also work with sequoia and so far they seem to work just find for me. About the cheapest I could find anywhere.

I wish I would have done this a long time ago much much better ride than before!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts