Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new tires on a 08 Sequoia Platinum. I believe it has the 20" wheels on it.

Which ones provide the best overall performance (ie: grip on and off road, rain and snow as well as mileage).

Also, what's the biggest tire I can put on with the stock set up?

Thanks guys, I'm a newb here

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome,

I put on some Michelin ltx ms2's on my 08 platinum. No complaints so far. The original ltx ms had good reviews from tundra owners and previous generation sequoia owners for treadlife and performance. It is a little bit harder ride, but that is to be expected from a harder compound tire. The ride difference is there but not glaring at you. I think mine are 275-55-20's. Not sure on max tire size but do a search, someone here probably figured it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I have the older LTX's on my 250 right now and really enjoy them. I was almost excited when I got a nail in the sidewall of the stock dunlops on the Sequoia. At 20,000 miles I am extremely disappointed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put Michelin Latitude Tour HP's on my 2008 Sequoia. Great tire so far (about 2k miles). Not sure what fits on the Limited OEM rim, but I have the 20x9 BBS rims from a Tundra X-SP package and 305/50r20 tires fit and look good.

The Michelins are costly - about $260 each - I'm a Michelin fan and just couldn't go with Yoko's or Toyo's in that size...even though I would have saved $80-$100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe the biggest tire you can put on your 20x8 limited wheel is 275-60-20 - that's the general size limit I've seen on the tundra forum

·
Registered
1 Posts
New guy here...I have 08' Plat with 24K miles and Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza (P275/55R20). We just received our first major snowfall and these tires are garbage. Extremely pissed to have to fork out another grand for tires already. I too am interested in feedback for replacement tires...the more research I do, the more frustrated I get. So many options! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I personally loved the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas for an all season tire. Didn't let me down at all during the winter we had. If you are looking for a more aggressive tire but without a hard ride/noise look at the Pirelli Scorpion ATR or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My OE Bridgestone Alenza's on my '08 platinum are garbage. I've never had premature wear on a tire in my life and these are shot before 25K. Anyone else have inside wear on all four tires. Toyota mechanic said it has something to do with camber situation in this vehicle as he's seen it before. Scheduled rotation and alignment was carried out according to specs. Probably going to the Michelin LTX MS/2 but I'm seeking advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I actually didn't mind the stock Alenzas on my '08 Plat. Got a little over 40K miles out of them and they did fairly well in all conditions.

After much research and knowing I wanted an all-season tire, I had narrowed my choices down to (1) The stock Alenzas, (2) Michelin LTX MS/2, (3) General Grabber HTS. I wanted to look at the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads after hearing a neighbor gush over them but alas, they don't come in our size.

I went with the Grabbers. Affordable, low-rolling resistance, and rated very high. The extra $80 per tire for the Michelins seemed unjustified and now, after 35K miles on the Generals, I am satisfied I made the right choice. Michelin gets a whole lot for their name.

YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually didn't mind the stock Alenzas on my '08 Plat. Got a little over 40K miles out of them and they did fairly well in all conditions.

After much research and knowing I wanted an all-season tire, I had narrowed my choices down to (1) The stock Alenzas, (2) Michelin LTX MS/2, (3) General Grabber HTS. I wanted to look at the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads after hearing a neighbor gush over them but alas, they don't come in our size.

I went with the Grabbers. Affordable, low-rolling resistance, and rated very high. The extra $80 per tire for the Michelins seemed unjustified and now, after 35K miles on the Generals, I am satisfied I made the right choice. Michelin gets a whole lot for their name.

YMMV.
How are the Grabbers working out? I have been looking at those to replace my OE Dunlop tires . .

·
Registered
483 Posts
We have the grabbers on ours. So far have been happy with them. They were on it when we got it. The guy at the tire shop told me he thought very highly of them and has them on his Suburban. When ours need to be replaced, I plan to go with a 275/60r20. Just a little more bulk to them without going overboard. I am almost positive 285s will fit fine with no clearance issues though. I know some Tundra guys have gone to the 285s without issues. The problem there is that just about all you can find is an AT or MT style tread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2010 Platinum and think Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza are the best all season tires I've owned on any of my SUVs. I was able to drive highway speeds during our last record breaking blizzard without any issues and at 36,300 miles they are wearing evenly and have 30-40% tread left. I'm just debating how long to keep them before our next snowfall. I think they're gonna last til 50-60K. No tires issues, even wear and still quiet. I have them on a lighter RX350 for the past 20-25K so far...even wear, very minimal wear. I'll buy only this tire for my SUVs until they are discontinued.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the 20's with the OEM Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas and also the 18's that I use in the winter that have the Michelin LTX A/S (good tire too for what it's worth for those with the 18's, but I don't believe they come in the 20). I'm very disappointed in the Duelers and will not be getting them again. Primarily because the wear is terrible.

I've had the Michelin LTX MS's before on other vehicles, and was extremely happy with them. When my Dueler Alenzas are shot, I will definitely be getting the Michelin LTX MS's. They cost a little more, but are well worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Dueler Alenza 20's on my '08 Sequoia Limited, and heading over to Costco today to have them replaced with the same. Wasn't positive it was worth the extra $ for the Michelins. I've got 40,500 miles, and have been satisfied with the wear and tear.

Keep in mind, most of my winter driving has been in Southeast Virginia where we don't see much snow. Most of my extended trips (summer and winter) are 9 and 15 hours long. Always had a comfortable ride.

UPDATE:
Costco only had the S rated Dueler Alenza, not the OEM H rated. They told me the H rated tire had better grip, and was more aggressive. I still had them install the S rated tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Falken Ziex S/T Z04 on 275/55R20's -- that's what came on my CPO '08 4x4 SR5. I am otherwise unfamiliar with Falken tires, but this is what I can tell you after driving on them 5k miles: AWESOME & Terrible. On Dry roads they are quiet and grip beautifully, with excellent cornering. BUT slightest bit of rain and they'll scare the buh-jesus out of you . . . slip-n-slide. If I lived in epic-drought Texas or CA or AZ, they'd be cool--they even have a cool profile. But I live in Louisiana so they've gotta go. Tirerack rates the Firestone Destination AT highly, so I may give them a shot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2/32nds wear on the Michelin LTX M/S2's in 45,000 miles, barely noticeable. The tire starts out at 12/32 depth, with 10/32nds till you get to the wear bars. That leaves me with 8/32nds of usable depth left. Do the math. Well worth the price and looks like I won't have to think about new tires for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts