Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally went around and some new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor LT285/70R17 on the Stock Wheels and had a little bit rub on the front fender. I cut off just enough so i could drive it without rubbing. I was wondering how some people trimmed there fenders. I used a dremel and a jig saw but it doesn't seem to cut the plastic more or less just burn through leaving a nasty looking cut. I just want to clean up that cut so it is not an eye sore. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

·
Registered
468 Posts
What clip position do you have your front 5100's on?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
468 Posts
Have you checked your clearance between your upper control arm and the inside of your sidewall? That may be an issue also. Your 285's are just a little more than a 1/2 inch taller than my 275's I am running but I have no rubbing issues. Guess that 1/2 inch finds the limit so to speak...Sucks because there is a much bigger selection of 285's vs the 275's I am running.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked your clearance between your upper control arm and the inside of your sidewall? That may be an issue also. Your 285's are just a little more than a 1/2 inch taller than my 275's I am running but I have no rubbing issues. Guess that 1/2 inch finds the limit so to speak...Sucks because there is a much bigger selection of 285's vs the 275's I am running.
I have the 1.25" spidertrax wheel adapters and have about 3/4" of space in between. that was the first thing i checked because if there was rub there i would be in trouble.

Andrew

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the 1.25" spidertrax wheel adapters and have about 3/4" of space in between. that was the first thing i checked because if there was rub there i would be in trouble.

Andrew
So there is no way you could have run the 285's without the spacer and clear the upper control arm? Guess the 275's are the limit then without spacers on the stock 17's.

·
2,444 Posts
I finally went around and some new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor LT285/70R17 on the Stock Wheels and had a little bit rub on the front fender. I cut off just enough so i could drive it without rubbing. I was wondering how some people trimmed there fenders. I used a dremel and a jig saw but it doesn't seem to cut the plastic more or less just burn through leaving a nasty looking cut. I just want to clean up that cut so it is not an eye sore. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

I have used a simple file to clean up plastic cuts. Don't know if that will work for you but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there is no way you could have run the 285's without the spacer and clear the upper control arm? Guess the 275's are the limit then without spacers on the stock 17's.
i don't think you could with the stock wheels

I have used a simple file to clean up plastic cuts. Don't know if that will work for you but it might be worth a try.
I will probably give that a try, thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
831 Posts
I ran 285/75R16 tires on my OEM alloys before I put the lift on with no rubbing on the control arm.

I used a razor blade to trim my fenders, it put the plastic like butter.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran 285/75R16 tires on my OEM alloys before I put the lift on with no rubbing on the control arm.

I used a razor blade to trim my fenders, it put the plastic like butter.
Ah never thought about a razor blade, thanks.

Andrew

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah i generally use a dremel to make the cut then a new razor blade to clean things up works great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts