Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new BFG 285 65R 18 AT KOs installed today, glad to see the Rugged Trails gone after only 19K, installer asked if I wanted them back due to decent tread and I said "no thanks you can keep em." I feel like I'm driving a truck now, lol. :amen:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet it's been pouring rain all day, tomorrow too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm jealous... Thats the tire I want! I've been trying to burn off my Worthless Trails for 10K miles and they still have tread on them... guess I need to try harder. :D

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
No lift, and they fill out the wheel well quite nicely on a stock Tundra.

Even with a 3" lift they don't look "bad"

-rockstate

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, no lift, looks nice. Now my truck won't start, the starter has seemed a tad bit slow the last week or so, now turn the key and nothing, have to call the stealer in the am, I really wanted to try out my tires tonight with all the rain and such. Looks like the tow truck will be in my driveway soon, sucks!! Anyone with a similar issue? I was going to bang on the starter to see if it would catch, but would rather have the dealer see it firsthand.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I burnt off the Ruggged Trails, kinda on purpose, didn't rotate them so the wife wouldn't question it, lol!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I burnt off the Ruggged Trails, kinda on purpose, didn't rotate them so the wife wouldn't question it, lol!

Exactly!! I'm doing the same thing... no rotations and a couple of smokey burnouts every so often. :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep, no lift, looks nice. Now my truck won't start, the starter has seemed a tad bit slow the last week or so, now turn the key and nothing, have to call the stealer in the am, I really wanted to try out my tires tonight with all the rain and such. Looks like the tow truck will be in my driveway soon, sucks!! Anyone with a similar issue? I was going to bang on the starter to see if it would catch, but would rather have the dealer see it firsthand.

Battery?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a dying battery to me too?

Anyways, I just picked up my TRD DC today. I've been calling around to different dealers to see if I could find anyone willing to give me something on trade for my factory BFG Rugged Trails in 275/76/18 for BFG AT KO's in 275/70/18. Some weren't willing to give me much but one seemed pretty eager and quoted me $490 out the door mounted/balanced for this exact trade. This comes out to $125 a piece on trade which I think is pretty fair. I don't know how easy of a time I would have selling them outright. I'm gonna call tomorrow and double check on the price and probably set a date to get them installed. After that I would follow immediately with my Bilstein 5100's up front that I'm leaning toward installing on the middle setting (I have no desire to lift the rear...sits high enough in my opinion).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on your new tires because I know exactly how you feel. I replace the Ragged Trails last month with 275/70-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers and I love how they fill out the wheel well. I will live and die by these tires, as I have had them on my 2005 4Runner for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think it's the battery, I tried jumping it this morning just in case and no change, starter won't turn over at all, everything else works. Battery is reading 12.5 volts sitting still.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It happened, rain finally stopped. Tundra has been at the dealer for 2 days, have a Tacoma TRD as a loaner..................waiting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 3, the starter is bad, waiting on a new one, the Tacoma feels so tiny, somewhat like my old 94 SR5 pickup.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got truck back today, replaced the starter as well as some other things, the service tech said it's a major PITA to replace starter, have to remove exhaust manifold to get at the starter, glad it was under warranty. I never realized how bad the starter was getting till it was replaced, much better now!

What pressure do you guys think I should run on these tires?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If you want EVEN wear, I'd suggest about 42-45 psi. I'm getting "even" wear across the board with that pressure. Monitor it to make sure, as there is no "set" or perfect pressure for these tires.

Some will argue much higher, and some will argue door jamb. Those are my experiences so take it with a grain of salt, but I have a good 33K miles on my tires and they will be toast around 40 or so, but will be replaced by winter anyway. Best to have a good set of tires for 6+ in of snow.

-rockstate

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts