Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All;
I own an '07 Tacoma TRD 4X4 with the OE BFG Rugged Trails (P265/70 16) on it. They are worn. I want to upsize to 265/75 16 LT, LR-C or D tires.
1. Is there going to be any clearance or rubbing issues with the new size. I understand they are 1" narrower and 1" taller (apx.).
2. I am looking for an All Terrain tire with good snow traction and good highway reliability. Ideas?
3. Any comments on whether LR D would be too stiff for my rig? This is not my work truck and does not carry heavy weight on a regular basis.
4. Finally, I have seen a 'snowflake' emblem on various tires. I understand that this related to a traction standard for M&S tire traction. Any comments on whether this is a worthy rating to consider when looking for new rubber?
Thanks.
Skip

·
Registered
663 Posts
You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with that size...for the most part. Sometimes, the tires will have enough of a shoulder block on the tread that might rub (and that's at full lock). So you should be good with 265/75. As far as the snowflake rating goes, I believe there are only 2 tires that aren't strictly winter tires (softer rubber) that meet the designation: BFG AT KO and Goodyear Duratrac. The BFG AT KO is only available in an E load rating for that size and it also isn't snowflake rated in that size. So there's something else to consider with that size (a tire may/may not have the snowflake rating for the size you're looking at, so verify if it's important to you). If you're doing a lot of highway driving in Calif where they plow the roads, it's probably not as important for you.

LR D may or may not be too stiff for your truck. I ran them on my DC, but I had a tonneau on the bed which adds a decent amount of weight. They handled fantastic (BFG AT KO in 265/70 at that time). Great snow traction (265/70 are snowflake rated) in deep snow. But the stiffer the load rating, the heavier the tire (as a general rule, but may not be true when comparing different brands), and lower MPGs.

So you really need to think about what's best for you. You'll get the common recommendations for the tires listed at the top of the tire rack survey:
Consumer Survey Results By Category

They're all good tires. I tried to get the Revo 2 last month when I replaced the BFG AT KO (BFG too pricey now), and the Revo's were on back order for a couple of months. I needed tires that day, so I ended up with the Michelin LTX AT2 (ranked #3 in category in the survey above). I haven't tried them out in deep snow yet, but they handled as well as the BFG AT KO in a few inches. And they were within $10 per tire of the Revo (and over $30 less per tire from the BFG AT KO). I will say that if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll appreciate the Michelin's (and probably any of the other tires at the top of the survey) over the BFG AT KO. The noise level has dropped significantly!!! In fact, I sometimes think the engine has died when I coast to a stop now. Never realized how noisy the BFG AT KO was (and it was identical in noise level to the BFG Rugged Trails).

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts