Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My 2006 manual says : Use 5W30 oil. You can use 10W30 but put 5W30 at the next oil change.

Oil capacity : 6.5 quarts with filter or 6.0 without.

I use 7 qrts and it fills it nicely up to the top mark on the dipstick

If you put too much oil the crankshaft will just be beating the oil and waste energy. The recommended level is such that only the bottom of the crank and the rods at their lowest level touch the oil and get lubed.

Your manual must have had a typo.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Do you have a V8 or V6?
Is there a difference in the motors - 2003 vs 2006?
Haynes, Chilton, the Toyota manual part #RM956U2 and the glove box manual all say the same thing - 5.5 quarts. But it still takes at least an extra quart to bring it into the safe zone.

My 2006 manual says :

Oil capacity : 6.5 quarts with filter or 6.0 without.

I use 7 qrts and it fills it nicely up to the top mark on the dipstick

Your manual must have had a typo.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Hey Ray, The bubbles you are seeing are concerning. If in fact your dipstick is too short, and you are a little over-full, does the following make sense... At sustained hwy speed, rpms are high, oil is whipped up by crank (air bubbles) hence oil pump can't pump it efficiently, hence oil pressure drops. While coasting, rpms drop, whipping is less (less air bubbles), oil pump efficiency returns, hence oil pressure rises. The difference between cruising RPMs and coasting (idle) RPMs could be the difference between significant whipping or not.

I had a Solara (V6) awhile back that took more oil than the manual said, and I went through the same questions about "Is my dipstick the right stick?" Called around town and found a Toyota parts desk that had one (took awhile to find one), drove over there, yanked mine out and went in and compared it. Same stick. Toyo guys had no idea why oil quantity was different. No bubbles though, just a difference in my actual quantity and stated quantity.

I'd run 5W30 if you can - if for no other reason than to be able to say you ran the Toyo spec oil in case something breaks.

Glad it has "fixed itself". :blushed:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think there might have been something fouling up the sensor.

I am going to change the oil {5w-30} and put in only 5.5 qts to see if it reacts any different. Or I could just drain out a quart...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It was the sending unit. Put a new one in and oil pressure is back to normal.
Where did you get the sending unit from? You wouldn't have the part number by any chance would you? I contacted two different dealerships and they werent sure which one I should use.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just bought an 02 Sequoia with 93k miles on it. When I bought it, I noticed that the oil pressure guage seemed to run low. It is usually right around the 1/4 mark. During acceleration, it will go up to about 1/2 or so, and then comes back down. Today at lunch, I was on the freeway, and the guage dropped as low as it could physically go which was below the bottom line. When I got off the freeway, it returned to its normal 1/4 mark.

If in fact I truely had no oil pressure, which I don't think is the case, what would the symptoms be? Would it start running hot, making any noises, check engine light?

After purchasing, I took it to the dealership and had the oil changed. The oil had been changed by the previous owner about 2k miles ago, but that was over a year ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just checked the book again and it states 5.5 US qts or 4.6 Imperial qts with oil filter change. For the 5VZ-FE

Like yours - mine takes almost 7 qts

MAYBE THERE WAS A DIPSTICK RECALL!!!
i had a dipstick recall on my 2000 back in late 2001. the new dipstick is longer than the old one.
anyway as far as oil changes u want to stay with the 5w30. sometimes if u use anything different it can make ur engine do funny things with it. like use oil. it done this on my uncle's '94 Rodeo v6. he was using what the previous owner had in it and when he went to the dealership they told him what is recomended for the vehicle and he changed to it. this is just recent so he's goin to see if it will slow down or stop the consumption of oil. he had an older domestic car that did the same thing to him long time ago when he used a different grade oil.

of course as far as how it effects ur oil pressure i wouldnt know. my uncle never mentioned oil pressure fluctuations.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts