Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello boys & girls! I've been considering new tires for awhile, since I'm so displeased with these Wrangler H/P's that I had. I wanted to try out a 305/50/20 tire, since I wanted a wider tire with stock height... my only concern was the 305 width on our 20x8 rims.

Anyhow, I've been looking around at different sets & prices, and was going to go with the Cooper HT's or the Falken Ziex st-04's... but while searching ebay, I found these slightly used (only about 5,000 miles tops) Toyo Proxes ST's for sale near my house. He was asking $285, so I told him I'd come get them for $175... he said yes, so I picked them up yesterday. While inspecting them, I noticed that one had a plug that he never disclosed, so I told him that since it needed fixing, I'd give him $160... :heh: he reluctantly said yes.

I had them mounted last night, and took a few pics today. They are definitely an aggressive looking "street" tire. Much more so that I expected from the pictures I've seen online. But, the look is growing on me. I haven't had much road time yet, and none above 40mph, so i'll post an update on handling & such later.

The wider profile looks really good - and no issues with the 305 width on the 8" rim. The installer, who's been in business for about 40 years, says it mounted fine and won't be a problem. I removed my 1.25" spacers/adapters because it would be TOO wide with the new tires, but I'd still like another 1/4 - 1/2" out. Too bad these stock rims didn't have 40 or 50mm offset, cause they'd be perfect.

NOTE: This thread is meant for those of ya possibly looking at these tires and/or 305 size... hope it helps someone.

Anyhow, here's some pics - let me know what you think:

Oh, and I took this the other day... thought it was worth posting!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Looking nice! I definitely like the look of wider tires. I love my 305/45/22s! They stick out slightly as you look from behind or front of the beast.......

You received a great deal too......

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's an awesome deal you got there! Look nice! The treads look more like the Falken Ziex ST/04 I have... not so good in the rain. Traction controls always kick in when I make a turn around 30-40 MPH during the rain.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick Update: Well, I still haven't had too much driving time on these, but so far they seem to ride a lot softer than those Wrangler H/P's I had. At slow speeds on uneven roads, they really grab & pull the truck... it's probably a result of the 305 width more than the tire itself. In some of the reviews I've read, people said they were loud, but I haven't heard any more noise than usual. It's raining now, so I'll get some wet-traction time later tonight, and I'll keep ya updated. I'm still waiting for freeway time as well...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update: Now that I've had these on my truck for a couple weeks, I wanted to give another quick update. I've had these on several different road conditions, including highway, acceleration, bumps, wet roads, cornering, etc... These tires handle very well so far. They are relatively quiet on the highway and seem to stick pretty well. They're also good around the corners and hold pretty well. They're also pretty soft over bumps and the rain/wet traction is about average. I also get lots of compliments on these tires, due to their wide profile and aggressive tread.

One thing I did notice is that they really pull/track into the road grooves (depressions on asphalt especially) - but I think this has more to do with their width and flat profile than the tire itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts