Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know whether or not new wheels/tires are available yet? I contacted Tirerack and they had 4 different wheels (20" and 22") models but they said that 9.5" was the widest. That means that tires would only be 245s or 255s (which is stock width anyway). I think it is possible to get 285s or maybe even a little more on this truck (though there may be a little bit of an offset) but don't know if anybody has tried that yet or if it looks good that way. Any info on this would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
245s on a 9.5 wheel?? That is no where near wide enough tire for that wheel. I had 285s on a 8" wide wheel and that was pushing it a little. 275s would have been better. A 9.5 wheel should easily handle a 285 - 305

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
245s on a 9.5 wheel?? That is no where near wide enough tire for that wheel. I had 285s on a 8" wide wheel and that was pushing it a little. 275s would have been better. A 9.5 wheel should easily handle a 285 - 305
OK, well I was a little confused over why he (the guy at Tirerack) said they were limited to 245/255s. Maybe he was talking about the actual truck itself and not the wheels. But either way I couldn't see why 285s wouldn't be able to go on the Tundra. It seems like there is plenty of room under the wheel wells for that kind of width. I doubt that they would be rubbing beyond 255s. He did say that their web-site would be updated eventually to add the 2007 Tundra and its available tire/wheel configurations. All the wheels he recommended were 6-lug ones though... so I don't know if he new that 5-lug wheels were required.
It would be great if 305s could go on this truck! I think that would be a good look and fit the truck a little better. The stock wheels just look a little narrow from the front/rear...

·
Registered
189 Posts
If he was quoting you on 6 lug wheels then he has no idea at all what will fit on the 07 Tundra since it is like you said 5 lug and I am sure the whole offset/backspacing will open a whole new can of worms on the new truck. I can't help you as far as what will fit on an 07 but neither did the Tire Rack salesman. I am sure someone else will chime in. :confused:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
If you're willing to pay shipping, there's a good independent wheel store in Denver that specializes in off-road setups. They've got a nice showroom and they know their s**t.

And NO, I don't work for them!! :) However, I have bought all my wheels and tires from them since 2001 (about four sets of wheels and six sets of tires).

Here's their website (it kinda sucks -- I would just call). I'm sure they'll have the answer and give you a lot of ideas too about wheels and tires.

Performance Wheel and Tire - Custom Wheels and Tires for your car, truck and SUV - Performancewheel.com:

Funny story -- one of the guys that owns the shop had a set of wheels stolen off his truck in the middle of the night. He called the police, filed the report, and got the old "well, you know, we really never recover this kind of stuff" line. Then, some joker brought in the EXACT SAME WHEELS to see what his wheel shop would give on trade!! Amazing. Needless to say, dude got arrested for his trouble.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ive been looking all over...

wheelsnext.com
tirerack.com
discounttiredirect.com
wheelmax.com
lakeshorewheelandtire.com
victoriatire.com

Ive found some that claim theyll fit, but most are too bling blingy (looking at 20/22s) for me. I think this may be the most difficult thing to find for the Tundras. May have to end up goin w/ some custom billet wheels thatll make them to your specs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
20"BBS Whls w/305/50R20 Mich LTX Tires/inc [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSRP[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,344.00[/FONT]
  • Replaces 4 factory wheels and tires
  • Includes: Color Keyed Flares
This tire/wheel combo is shown as an option in the SE area...so I suppose the 305's would fit.:tu:

·
Banned
888 Posts
:eek: MSRP [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,344.00 :eek: [/FONT]
LMAO !!! Aint a set of wheels and tires ever gonna be worth that IMO

To Funny ...............:clown:

20"BBS Whls w/305/50R20 Mich LTX Tires/inc [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSRP[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,344.00[/FONT]

• Replaces 4 factory wheels and tires
  • Includes: Color Keyed Flares
This tire/wheel combo is shown as an option in the SE area...so I suppose the 305's would fit.:tu:

·
Registered
932 Posts
285's are made for 8"-10" rims.
don't know what your tire guy was smoking, but I wouldn't let him touch my truck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
:eek: MSRP [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,344.00 :eek: [/FONT]
LMAO !!! Aint a set of wheels and tires ever gonna be worth that IMO

To Funny ...............:clown:
Especially those wheels. Didn't I see them in today's Sears add for $399...for all 4!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did some more research and it seems that nobody online has updated their databases yet with the 07 Tundra. Thanks for all the info though, that has made things easier in terms of looking for setups that will actually fit the Tundra without being "officially" recommended.
As a previous poster mentioned, it seems like 305s should be no problem for this truck at all. In fact, it looks like there is room to spare with those, but that isn't a need of mine as 305s would be plenty for me.
Anybody have a good recommendation for rims/tires for a truck? Sorry to say, but my experience has been mostly with sport coupes and that is an entirely different market altogether. However, when one starts a family, a coupe just won't do! :D I don't know who is considered the best for all-season, on-road truck tires in terms of performance, handling, durability, and road noise insulation. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :ts:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts