Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone - happy new year! i am recent escapee from chrysler minivan land! (my van was very good to me, 'cept for those stupid power sliding doors.)

last month we bought a nearly-loaded toyota certified 1-owner carfax-clean 2004 4x4 sequoia SR5. i'm giddy about the purchase. i've always wanted this vehicle, but the prices were out of our range and with the recession, things dovetailed nicely for us and we were able to get one from a dealership with only 51k miles (which is barely broken in from what i hear) + extended warranty for $21k.

k. 'nuff about me.

4 questions:

1) what is that loud roaring sound when i first start the engine and then drive for about 1 minute? i love it, it sounds so powerful and i know there's nothing wrong with the engine because my brother's land cruiser does the same thing. i'm just curious.

2) when i am driving to a stop light, sometimes the transmission will down shift in a pronounced fashion and i can feel it; it's almost like a jerk but it's random. conversely, when i accelerate, the transmission is so quiet, so subtle i feel like i'm in one of those CVT muranos (perish the thought). is this abrupt downshifting OK?

3) at about 35+mph i feel in the body/front floor and can hear a subtle rhythmic vibration that "cycles" for about 1 second on-2 seconds off. it seems to dissipate or not be as pronounced at higher speeds. it doesn't sound like it's damaging anything (yet?). and it's not so much a "grinding" but it gets my attention and makes me wonder if everything's OK.

4) coming from a minivan with virtually no front end, i am very alert and cautious when parking my sequoia but i'm wondering if i'm overly cautious. is it possible that its turning radius is tighter than i think it is? can someone give me a practical (vehicular) analogy or comparison for the radius?

thank you for reading. i don't know if i'll get answers to any of my questions, but i thought this would be the best place to start.

:happy:

·
Registered
240 Posts
1.) It's the cooling fan. It's a viscous clutch design. It roars because the silicone fluid inside the clutch has settled. Once the engine is running, the fluid returns to its regular spot and will cycle off. The fan rarely ever comes on, these things cool themselves very well. I only had it come on in 100* temp with the A/C on.

2.) Not sure. The trans is a very smooth and refined unit, you won't feel much even on WOT runs.
3.) Not sure, could be wheel bearings, could be unbalanced tires, could be a lot of things.

4.) It's a truck, you won't get super tight turns out of it. Get used to 3-point turns if you are making lots of U-turns on tight streets. You really can't kick the back end out on these to decrease turning radius :( Otherwise, in normal driving it is very tight and you can do some impressive turns. Just take it out and experiment with the truck and you'll quickly find out what it can do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts