Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just found the forum and had a question about towing.

I'm considering at toyhauler which, when fully loaded, will be right at the maximum towing capacity for my '04 4x4 Sequoia.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the motor is not the biggest/most powerful. Am I crazy? Will I be able to go more than 10 mph up hills????

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Hi,

I just found the forum and had a question about towing.

I'm considering at toyhauler which, when fully loaded, will be right at the maximum towing capacity for my '04 4x4 Sequoia.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know the motor is not the biggest/most powerful. Am I crazy? Will I be able to go more than 10 mph up hills????

Thanks in advance.

Mike
The Sequoia might be able to handle it, I would suggest before guessing to get hardworld weights.
Some toy haulers are better than others water and fuel adds up quickly.
Run it over the scales empty and loaded. Get tounge weights.
Tom will be along and produce a bunch of facts and figures for you as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rambrush is right. you'll need to get the toyhauler weighed full and 'wet" with toys, fuel, food, etc.

Trailer mfrs and boat mfrs are notorious for inaccurate estimates of dry weights and leave it to you to figure out or weigh the wet weight.

Auto mfgs are also notorious for overstating trailer towing capacity. Often their estimates are for a 150 lb driver in an empty vehicle pulling the trailer. How often to any of us go on a recreational trip in that configuration? Of course we've got at least 4 people plus their bags in the truck.

You need to pay attention to maximum tongue weight and the potential need for a weight distributing hitch (which doesn't change the max tongue rating either).

There are other posts on here, including some with photos of some terrible accidents with trailers.

I personally wouldn't recommend towing much more than 5500 or 6000lb with the Seq. I don't care what the manual says.

Any more than that and you really need a pickup truck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will be way over your total towing capacity if you get a trailer near the tow limit. You need to remember that the truck + trailer do not equalt the total tow weight.

I have a 32' travel trailer which weighs in at about 4500lbs. And I am withing a couple hundred pounds of the total 11800 GVW. So you really need to deduct about 1500 pounds off what you want to tow or you will exceed the GVW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your advice.

I did some searching and found numerous other threads about towing.

Unfortunately I have to order the trailer so I can't have it weighed beforehand.

I love my Sequoia but am finding the low towing capacity frustrating. The only realistic choice is a Weekend Warrior Superlite - Supercross. Its about 4200 lbs empty.

Nothing is ever easy.....

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I wish this would get reassigned to the towing forum for more exposure.

Going by there posted empty weight as we mentioned its not always real world figures until you run it over the scale. A good WDH will make your towing experince much safer as well as a good set of brakes on the trailer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ended up getting a Hensley hitch just to make sure I was good since the length of the trailer comes into play with the short wheelbase of the sequoia. There are a couple of threads in the Towing section that are very helpful that I started with questions. do a search on the threads started by me over there & it will help. Some are about weight, length & brake controller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts