Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am considering buying a 2000 tacoma 4x4 regular cab short bed 2.7 liter 4 cyl with 71k miles on it. Its from a dealer and they were asking 10.8k for it, but they've had the truck for 3 weeks and say they would be willing to let it go for 8900. The paint seems to be pretty good, with minor rock chips and dings, and one small spot where the clear coat is peeling a little.

Seems to drive and shift really well. I have a couple of questions:

It seems to have aftermarket exhaust where the muffler is under the car in front of the rear wheels, and it has two small 6" long pipes bending downwards coming out of it.. It appears that the headers are new too. Is this common? Or should I worry about having lots of exhaust fumes under the car?

Secondly, I can't find any info on a timing belt job for the 4 cyl engines.. When is this supposed to be done?

Thirdly, is there any way I can check the clutch for wear? Is the clutch even a concern at 70k miles?

My last question is, if I do a compression test on the vehicle, what numbers should I be looking for? Is there any special procedure, or just a normal compression test (take out all spark plugs, try each cylinder one at a time). Perhaps a fuel pump fuse?

Thanks!

-Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
I may be wrong, but as far as the timing belt questions, it might be a timing chain instead. Atleast thats what they told us about our '99 4Runner with the 4 banger.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts