Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just went through my first half tank of fuel and I'm shocked to say the least. Just for reference, my previous truck was a 02 Dodge RAM 1500 QC 4x4.
My issue has to do with gas mileage or the lack there of. My RAM always got about 16mpg, yet my Tundra is only getting 12mpg and I'm very light on the throttle. Seems like there are some common issues that clear this up or can help right?
02 sensors and maybe some other items, I just need some help determining what I need to do. I've never believed that fuel injector treatments were of any help but I'm honestly not sure and if they are which one is best?
I'm sure these things have been covered so I apologize ahead of time for this, but reading through 100's of posts seems a little more difficult than just posting this again.
BTW, my Tundra is the AC 4x4 with the 4.7L and I know based on posts I've read here that I should get better than 12mpg.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Your right, sometimes searching the forums posts creates another problem--a headache & tired eyes.

How many miles do you have on it?

What size tires/rims do you have?

Do you have a camper shell on it?

Is it lifted?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, your def the exception, not the rule. Start picking away at everything that is obvious....spark plugs, air filter, tire pressure, brake drag....all the "duh" stuff. Though I trust based on your apparent knowledge from first post that you've likely already hammered those down. IIWY, I'd call the seller....thats what I did to find out timing belt replacement...

And, just to make sure....you don't have a lead foot right? Because one of those WILL get you 12 MPG with the 4.7

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
I'd also suggest the following:

1. Clean MAF
2. Clean throttle body
3. Clean PCV valve
4. Carefully check tire inflation values
5. Inspect e-brake bell crank for sticking

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake drag could be an issue, that is something else that's been bugging me. When I press the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake/wobble and I think the rotors may be warped. I would not have expected that to cause poor mileage though, my Dodge had the same problem and it got decent mpg's.
The simple things seem to be in check, I also don't have any check engine lights so I don't think there is any electrical issues.
I could take a look at the plugs but I'm willing to bet they are just fine, which will only add to the confusion.

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
Brake drag could be an issue, that is something else that's been bugging me. When I press the brakes my steering wheel starts to shake/wobble and I think the rotors may be warped. I would not have expected that to cause poor mileage though, my Dodge had the same problem and it got decent mpg's.
The simple things seem to be in check, I also don't have any check engine lights so I don't think there is any electrical issues.
I could take a look at the plugs but I'm willing to bet they are just fine, which will only add to the confusion.
It was already mentioned, but I figured I would mention it again because its a problem I had on both tundras I owned and its a problem I see on many tundras driving down the road. The e brake crank rusts when its not used regularly and it will jam in the ON position, thus causing you a lot of drag. Crawl under the rear end and see if the brake levers are fully released or not, if not, knock them in with a hammer to release them until you can get them fixed. A sure sign they aren't released is if the cable between the drums is loose.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree. My 03 gets dick mileage. My 00 got 3/4 mpgs better consistantly. However i had KandN FIPK basically the whole time i owned the truck, And i credit that. The I force Drive by wire crap could be to blame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts