Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up a new (well, lightly used) TRD intake and installed it the other day. I thought I'd post a PIC, and give a little review of what I think of it.... for those of you that wanted some comments from someone who has one installed!

INSTALL: Very easy! Only took about 10 minutes to get it hooked up. There's nothing difficult or tricky about the install. It really looks nice in the engine compartment... I didn't have the template handy (or the time) to trim the engine cover, so it's sitting in the garage for now. However, it looks fine without it for now so I may keep it off for awhile.

SOUND IMPRESSION: Sounds great at Full Throttle! Definitely an improvement over stock... really makes the 5.7L growl. I can't wait to upgrade the exhaust to add that sound too.

PERFORMANCE IMPRESSION: Well, I think the truck is a bit more peppy. However, I've never recorded any performance numbers, so it's all "seat-of-pants" opinion.... but with that said, it does feel like it pulls better.

INTERESTING NOTE: I had the battery disconnected during the install (which is pretty commonly recommended during every MOD/Change). Shortly after the instally, we went for a 20 mile drive... It must have thrown a code, because the passenger "air-bag" trouble light was flashing the whole time. But, after I turned off the truck for a few mins, and during the return 20-mile ride, the code must have cleared. Just thought it was odd, since no one or nothing was on the passenger seat.

PIC:

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Nice, I've had my TRD intake for a long time now (two years) and it's a great intake. I even have my CARB EO sticker in the same place you've placed yours :D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I don't know if the truck is "learning" the new airflow increase, but the truck seems to be getting quicker/stronger now that I've had this on for a couple weeks. So far, I'm quite pleased with this upgrade!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
UPDATE: I don't know if the truck is "learning" the new airflow increase, but the truck seems to be getting quicker/stronger now that I've had this on for a couple weeks. So far, I'm quite pleased with this upgrade!
It looks great! If I decide to do CAI some day I would do the TRD so if it throws any codes Toyota will be more helpful. I've never been in a vehicle that had a CAI before. Can you explain the additional sound you get now? Is is more of an exhaust sound or can you hear the intake itself? Tried to send points btw but it won't let me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The combination of the CAI and the Exhaust will give significant chang e in the sound especially when you hit the gas!! I did not go the TRD route, I installed a 77 series K&N along with a custom Thrust exhaust install. I love it!! I went for 309 miles to empty to 369 miles to empty! I have yet to experience the benefit though b/c I can't stay off of the throttle!! LOL!!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Love my TRD CAI also! Congrats...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you explain the additional sound you get now? Is is more of an exhaust sound or can you hear the intake itself? Tried to send points btw but it won't let me.
Thanks for tryin to send pts! As far as the sound: (Without sounding like some 15 year old that just went to his first race...) Inside the cab when you stomp on it, it almost sounds like a Nascar engine :wink: not as loud of course, but the noise/tone has that stock-car sound coming off the 4th turn and into the straightaway (I used to be into racing :confuseda: ) I've heard from others that the Voland & AFE sound even louder. But, I was wanting the TRD for their posted numbers of 8hp/8tq @ the wheels, and to keep it "stock" for avoiding trouble codes and arguments with the service department :tu:

On a side note... does anyone know the ratio for HP/TQ at the wheels compared to the flywheel? If this gets me 8hp at the wheels, what does it gain at the flywheel, from the stock 381hp?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
am i the only one, well besides popo, that actually likes the way the motor looks w/o the cover? why do they think they have to cover motors anyway. remember the time when u could open the hood and see a motor and not tons of plastic???? i had a tiburon GT that had a motor cover and plastic panels covering everything else around the strut towers all teh way across teh front and up the other side....looked like a solid sheet of plastic with just enough gap for the motor to move. ridiculous. POPO keep the cover off...looks great as is.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does it make whistling noises or noise increase compared to stock at normal driving RPM?
NO Whistle at all... and unless you're "full-throttle" it doesn't sound any different than stock. Very well put together... ZERO complaints so far.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
am i the only one, well besides popo, that actually likes the way the motor looks w/o the cover? why do they think they have to cover motors anyway. remember the time when u could open the hood and see a motor and not tons of plastic???? i had a tiburon GT that had a motor cover and plastic panels covering everything else around the strut towers all the way across the front and up the other side....looked like a solid sheet of plastic with just enough gap for the motor to move. ridiculous. POPO keep the cover off...looks great as is.
I agree Barney... our 5.7L engine is a beast! We shouldn't be hiding it! I prefer the engines "naked" as well; I really LOVE the look of the 6.1L engines in the Dodge cars... I'm "considering" painting my intake manifold silver/chrome to get that look. We'll see if I get around to finding the cajones to do it!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
On a side note... does anyone know the ratio for HP/TQ at the wheels compared to the flywheel? If this gets me 8hp at the wheels, what does it gain at the flywheel, from the stock 381hp?
Guessing 10-11 hp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm curious why you got rid of it?
Hey Maylon,

I pulled it out of the shop where my '08 Tundra was after it got T-boned by a 16,000+ pound USPS Mack Truck running a red light doing about 45 miles an hour.
He nailed me from the rear passenger door all the way back to the bed, and threw me across 3 lanes of traffic and on top of the median.
Oh.. my driveshaft got ripped off as well.. it was in the middle of the road, and my bed was concaved. Anyways, since I didn't need the TRD CAI anymore, I sold it.

After it was all said an done with insurance and crap, I got a new 2010 Tacoma DC Long Bed SR5 4x4 with with the TRD Sport Package. I miss the power of the 5.7 with the TRD and the custom Borla's I had....but I'm really digging the Tacoma :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
cant say i noticed any difference with my TRD CAI. but i already had the TRD exhaust first. other than better looks, i didnt feel either product was worth the money. it would be nice if the 5.7 actually sounded like a V8.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts