Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear 1st-gen Sequoia forum- my name is Taiko and it's good to be on-board.
I'm a long time Yotatech member with a 1992 2nd Generation 4runner and it was based partly on my love and mods for my 4runner that I chose a Sequoia for the family. We purchased it used two weeks ago. I researched this Sequoia for about 6 months before I found the exact one I wanted. It's a low mileage (53K) 2005 Limited 4WD. First thing I did was put synthetic oil in it, new BFG A/T K/O 265/70R17s, an engine block heater and floor mats. We're in business but I have a lot of questions.

I've been searching a bit already but I'm going to ask a few questions right off the bat to see how much 4runner modding and knowledge can be applied to the Sequoia.

First up, I am thinking that headers seem to not be as necessary on the Sequoia 2UZ-FE as they were on my 3.0 3vze. Am I correct in thinking this? I've got ceramic thorley headers on the 4runner and they were so important to avoid the head gasket issues. From what I've seen, the JBA headers seem to be the choice models on the Sequoia, but is there a manifold issue on this 2UZ-FE engine, or are they not really necessary? So far, I am thrilled with the power of this engine. I specifically chose the 2005 model for the 5-speed tranny and increased torque.

My next question is about air intake. On the 4runner I had a K&N FIPK but I was not happy with the noise and I do not like oiled filters. I ended up replacing the stock airbox and doing an ISR mod, basically keeping the stock air box and filter, and swapping out the OEM baffled air tubes with a mandrel-bent pipe that optimized airflow. I see that the trueflow does something like this for the Sequoia, but I read that some were getting check engine lights due to this. I would be grateful to hear from any who have done this mod. Is there a TRD airtake for the Sequoia? I see one for the 4,7L Tundra but I am not sure if this will fit the Sequoia. I would be grateful for any information on this.

Next I am thinking about getting a rear DVD and changing out the front headunit.
For the rear DVD it seems that the best solution might be an alpine PKG-RSE2. I have seen some great pics of the install on Tundras on this site and it seems to fit really nicely. Does anyone have one of these units in their 1st-gen Sequoia?

For the HU I have the OEM 6 disk changer. It's OK and sounds great, but looks pretty obsolete and no nav and most importantly, no aux IN and no Sat support. I have been looking around on this site and it seems that a lot of you are using AVIC systems. I read some posts saying that only the z110bt delivers enough voltage to power the TATO adapter to use the jbl amps. I also see that a z120bt is coming soon. I would prefer to spend less on an x710bt only if I knew that it would work with the TATO, if anybody has this setup.

In regards to gears, gearing was the single best mod for power on my 4runner when I switched to 4.88 to match the 33" BFGs that I put on there. What is stock gearing on a limited 1st gen sequoia with 17" wheels? Have any of your gone lower? Does anybody run ARBs in their Seq? Has anybody put OME shocks in? I am very curious to see what's been done. I'll keep searching but would be grateful to hear from anyone in the meantime.

I guess that's all of my questions for now! I will post some pics of the new ride to prove that it really happened! Thanks again for any and all feedback to these questions! I would appreciate any PMs too related to any of these items.
taiko
[/url]
Click for full size [/IMG]
[/url]
Click for full size [/IMG]

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello and welcome from another 2005 Limited 4x4 owner.

I haven't done any mods to the truck other than to add a K&N filter in the stock box. The only question of yours I can really answer is the gearing... 4.10:1.

I do a fair bit of towing... 5800 lbs of travel trailer... and the Sequoia does a great job.

Congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JD! Thanks for your welcome and the gearing information! Good to hear from another 2005 limited owner! I like your white color, that was the other one I liked! I see that you use a Garmin GPS. I have been looking at the integrated units lately but it seems as if it will be a much pricier option. I am thrilled with the Sequoia, it's a fantastic vehicle with tons of room and the solidity and off-road capability of a 4runner. It's just as nice as the land cruisers and lexus SUVs in my opinion!
I have been having a bit of shudder in my brakes so I need to take it in, but otherwise everything is great. Power is unbelievable! I love the leather seats too. The vehicle didn't come with the keyless entry fobs so I bought some on ebay and programmed them myself. We're almost all set!
Weathertech window deflectors should arrive this week, we love those in the rain.
JD what kind of head unit for your stereo do you use? Do you have the stock system? How about rear DVD, do you have that option?
We don't have the rear DVD so I'm thinking about getting one of the Alpines maybe this summer.
Thanks again for writing JD!!
taiko

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi JD! Thanks for your welcome and the gearing information!
Aw shucks, t'weren't nothin'! :rolleyes:

I see that you use a Garmin GPS. I have been looking at the integrated units lately but it seems as if it will be a much pricier option.
Been very happy with the Garmin. It has Bluetooth and works very well with my smartphone.

Weathertech window deflectors should arrive this week, we love those in the rain.
Those are on my wish list too. We did buy the Weathertech floor trays for the front and they're very good.

JD what kind of head unit for your stereo do you use? Do you have the stock system? How about rear DVD, do you have that option?
We have the JBL with CD changer and cassette player. The latter is kind of funny... I haven't played a cassette in about a decade. We're very happy with the sound and I want to retain the steering wheel controls, so I don't want to change the head unit... though we would like to connect an iPod directly (tried the FM transmitters but the sound quality is not there).

And yes, we do have the DVD. With all the driving we do in camping season it's just about a necessity for keeping our five year old girl entertained! :)

Thanks again for writing JD!!
My pleasure!

I guess you probably already know that '05 Sequoias differ from the '01 to '04 models in two significant ways: addition of variable valve timing (VVT-i) to the engine boosted the horsepower and torque, and the transmission was upgraded from four to five speeds.

Enjoy your beautiful new truck!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome Taiko!

I have an '05 limited and I've done lots of mods to it.
Yes, gears should be 4:10. I've done a bit of heavy and light towing and I find with the 5 speed and 4:10 gears, the Sequoia is a pretty good towing machine. Just be careful using the O/D when towing anything but a light load. I assume your LTD has the towing package like mine, so it has a tranny cooler, which helps a lot.

I did a lot of research with regard to the air intake when I bought mine. From some of the expert testing and advice I found on this forum........the stock box is actually engineered very well and it is difficult to improve upon that. I used to run a TRD air filter, but after a questionable oil analysis, I switched to the Amsoil Ea synthetic air filter and have been very happy with it. I think about the only measurable improvement that could be made is to use a RAPS cold-air intake kit. Not sure if you can still get these.

You might have already guessed....I've run Amsoil synthetics in the motor since the initial break-in period. I had regular oil analysis done for about the first 60K miles or so. All were very good. I switched to the amsoil EaO synthetic oil filters a few years ago when they came out (the EaO15 to be exact). They have worked very well. I run my 5-30 amsoil for one year (about 15K miles) before replacing it and the filter. My oil analysis was very good so I'm sticking with that plan.
I changed out the front, center and rear diffs. with amsoil sythetics at about 40K miles. I didn't touch the Toyota WS tranny fluid, but I think amsoil now has an approved replacement. I will probably have my tranny fluid flushed at 100K miles.

I've had the MagnaFlow cat-back on mine since the first couple thousand miles. I like it a lot, but the wife thinks it's too "red-neck" and complains about it now and then. I like the low growl of the MagnaFlow, but I still have the stock system if I ever want to revert to it. The MagnaFlow gives a very slight HP bump on the top-end, but probably sacrifices some low-end tork with the larger pipe and less back-pressure.

I'd be interested to know how you like the BFG's AT KO's on your '05. I put Toyo Open Country AT's on my stock 17" wheels after the first winter. The Dunlop's sucked pretty bad. The 265/70/17 Toyo's put my speedo right on the mark (measured with GPS), while the stock 265/65/17's showed about 2.5 miles high at 60 MPH. (smaller wheel). When it comes time to replace the Open Country's, I will be looking hard at the BFG's. I haven't been unhappy with the Toyo's, just looking for something different.
I have been running the Toyo Proxes 295/45/20's in the summer months on Weld Evo wheels and I am ready to replace them this spring. I may try the new Proxes, since it is less aggressive than the first gen tire. The Proxes I have are a little noisy, but grip like a go-kart. I will definitely go with a 285/50/20 this time. The 295/45/20 is too small and throws my speedo off like the stock Dunflops. A 31.5" tall tire is pretty much max tire size on a stock 1st gen Sequoia. The first place they will rub is on the front mud flap while turning and I found the 265/70/17's to be just about perfect.

I ended up scrapping my entire stock 6-disc JBL system and have spent lots of dollars and time over the last 5 years trying many different drivers, amps, etc. Kind of a hobby!
I won’t bore you with all the details, but I’ll list what I’m running now. Head unit is an Eclipse AVN6620 with ipod adapter, Sirius tuner and a modified parrot/eclipse Bluetooth adapter. Front stage is a pair of Scanspeak 18W’s and HAT L1-Pro SE tweeters on custom crossovers mounted under the front tray (where the stock amp was) Rear speakers are DLS UX26’s and the sub in the rear is an Elemental Designs 13av.2. The power comes from two TRU Technology amps. One for the front stage – mounted under the front passenger seat, and the other mounted in the rear in a custom rack. The rear speakers are powered by a small Lunar amp mounted under the driver’s seat, along with a second Odyssey battery and the Eclipse iPod controller.

I had the dealer install a DVD player in the front console and a 15" overhead monitor when I bought it. I still use it for the kids on long trips, but If I had it to do over, I'd have headrest monitors put in instead of the overhead. It just is so big, it makes the rear-view mirror useless when it' down. The kids love it though! I also have wireless headphones so the kids can watch their movie and I can listen to what I want!

If you are looking for a double din NAV unit, I would look hard at the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT. If I wasn’t so invested in the Eclipse gear (my second one now), I’d move to this unit in a hurry. The big advantage of the Eclipse gear is that it plugs directly into the steering wheel controls of the Sequoia..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi czechm8 and JD! Thanks to you both for your excellent replies. I had a great time reading your thoughts and it's good to know that you're both 2005 ltd owners! I am thrilled with the Sequoia. It's got the space for our growing family but the off-road and inclement weather power to go anywhere. It's also unbelievable for towing. The best of all worlds (except perhaps gas mileage, but I knew that going into it. I couldn't be happier!).

czechm8 thanks so much for the gearing and fluids information. I used Redline fluids with some Royal Purple on my 4runner and was very happy. Amsoil is also excellent stuff. I went with Mobil1 synthetic 5w30 for the Sequoia engine however I have not yet done the diffs or tranny. I am currently on less than 54K...should I be thinking about changing all fluids?

I am proud of myself, I programmed the keyless entry fobs (easy!) but it was very enjoyable to do that. I also got some Zaino Z-9 and Z-10 (leather in a bottle) and it brought the leather seats to life. They even smell brand new! Highly recommended. I am looking forward to the weathertech window deflectors, they are great and I have them in the 4runner. Do you have hood protectors on yours?

Re: head unit, I am thinking Pioneer as you recommend czechm8 but it will be pricey with all of the accessories (rear camera, sirius interface, steering wheel interface, JBL amp interface, the list goes on!). I am wondering if I can get a rear monitor with the pioneer, or do I need to get the alpine DVD? I saved a good bit of money not going with the rear DVD and I think that in the long run the alpine PKG-RSE2 would be a good bet.

For now, I will prob. leave everything stock, I'll buy a new OEM air filter and work on the interior entertainment for the time being. Power to spare is a new luxury for me compared to my beautiful hard working 3vze v6 3.0 4runner (headers help...but it's no 2UZFE v8 4.7!!)

Re: BFG- you will not be sorry! I run them on the 4runner, they take us everywhere through everything. Winter, ice, summer, offroad, never let me down. highway noise is very slight, manners are excellent, they look like a million bucks and last forever. I got them siped on my 4runner but even without that they are perfect.

Enjoying the thread!
taiko

PS. tell me more about the silverstar ultra lamps. headlights now are poor. have you replaced the foglamps too? I have a magnaflow catback on my 4runner and love it. I see there is an exhaust for sale at trdparts4u, seems inexpensive for a nice system. For now I will prob. leave it stock though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You might think about changing the differential fluids. Especially if you don't know much about the vehicle's history.
I find Toyota's maintenance schedule to be rather odd with regard to the differentials and transmission. The schedule goes up to 120K miles but never mentions to replace the transmission, front, rear, or center diff. fluids unless your drive under "special operating conditions", which means towing! If you do tow, they want you to replace the front diff. fluid every 15K miles. This seems a little too frequent to me. They also recommend replacing the rear and center diff. fluids every 30K miles, and the transmission fluid at 120K miles.

I'm pretty sure the "WS" fluid that they went to in '05 with the new 5 speed transmission is synthetic. So changing it under normal driving conditions at 120K miles makes sense. I'm also pretty sure the differential fluids are not synthetic, which explains why they want you to change it more often.
I changed all my diff. fluids to synthetic at around 30-40K miles. If I never tow anything, I probably would not need to change it for 100-120K miles of service. Since I do tow a little (not very much), I'll probably change all my fluids again at around 100K miles with synthetics.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I to am relatively new to the sequoia so the only feedback I can provide is the audio. My first changes were audio. I have the Kenwood DNX6140 and absolutely love it. I did quite a bit of research before going with the kenwood. It has Garmin Nav, Parrot Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, Back up camera, and DVD capability. I also had the JL Stealth box installed in the back (JL 10" W3) which is being pushed by a 500w Alpine Amp. I have been very pleased with this upgrade.

Was planning to add an intake next but based on some of the feedback provided here, i might just be adding a filter to the stock air box.

Plan on adding an exhaust and wing within the next few months as well.

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jdudley13 and thanks for your insight! I like the sound of the Kenwood HU that you are describing. Garmin makes great GPS and it sounds like it may need less add-ons than the AVIC system to have Sirius/Steering wheel controls. Does it work with the JBL amp directly, or does it need the TATO system too? Has anyone done a head-to-head comparison between the Kenwoods and the Pioneers? Looking forward to learning more.

Thanks czechm8 for your thoughts about changing the diff fluids. I used redline and royal purple on my 4runner and will definitely think about going synth on this Sequoia as well. I am very happy about the locking diff on the Seq. fantastic!

Re: Batteries, is anybody running an Odyssey on their Sequoia? I used to use Optima Red-tops but gave up after a few bad experiences with them. I have been thrilled with my Odyssey in the 4runner but am not sure what group size it would take in the Seq.

I realized that my passenger side foglight is burned out. I also noticed that the light output from both the primaries and foglights is less than overwhelming. Is there any drop-in upgrade that makes a difference? I do not think that I am interested in an HID upgrade right now but would be willing to listen if it's the best way to go.

Re: Brakes, my wife is not happy with the feel. I had them checked out twice, all is well, and stock, and even had the rotors resurfaced. Pads are plenty good, but the feel is not what we are used to in the 4runner. Much slower stops and less precision. Just had it in the dealer yesterday, clean bill of health on brakes.

SO...I have been searching about different pad upgrades, or changing to brembos, or even the revered stoptech/trd BBK. (got the printout yesterday, apparently there is a specific part# for the 1st gen Seq). I am very interested in brake upgrades that anyone has done, and whether anyone has installed the BBK into their 1st gen Seq.

I think that's it for today!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I love the Sequoia, it will take a while to get it customized just right but the size and power is just amazing. Highway driving is a joy as well, and where we live in the ice and snow, the traction is astounding. Very luxurious as well. Glad to be part of the forum.
T

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the warm welcome Marky! Looks like you have a pretty sweet Tundra! Fantastic mods! I really look forward to getting my Sequoia set up nicely. Just got the weathertech deflectors in the mail last night, time to install those! Any advice on lights, HU or brakes much appreciated :)
T

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Hey thanks for the warm welcome Marky! Looks like you have a pretty sweet Tundra! Fantastic mods! I really look forward to getting my Sequoia set up nicely. Just got the weathertech deflectors in the mail last night, time to install those! Any advice on lights, HU or brakes much appreciated :)
T
Thanks bro! Check out ThirdHorseMan for some ideas on the Sequoia. She did a HID retrofit that is awesome!

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/182563-retrofit-is-done/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes the stock amp does work, you will just need a digital wiring harness when doing the install. I would highly recomend finding a shop that is familiar with the sequoia to do the install. Some shops might tell you that the stock amp and speakers will not work properly with an aftermarket HU, my uncle ran into this problem with his install; this is false, the shop that did mine got everything working properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Could any of you please reply on how I could confirm visually if my Toyota has a towing package or not? It is 2005 Ltd 4X4. I called Toyota with my VIN and the person I spoke with were no help. I will call them again and try..
I did have the towing harness coming with the vehicle and the hitch and 7 pin controller all come preinstalled. I was able to attached a brake controller with no problems.
I am looking to confirm if my toyota has a transmission cooler or other goodies installed. The owners manual was no help either.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My understanding was that all LTDs came with the towing package. If you have the hitch and 7 pin harness, then you should also have the tranny cooler. To verify, look in front of the radiator, there will be the AC condenser and the tranny cooler beside it; it looks like a small radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new on the board never write anything here but would like to share some information what I have done with my 2003 Sequoia Limited. Replace OEM filter to K&B filter mileage improved a little bit but very happy with result. Still have Dunlup tires for summer ride also have Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 265/70/17 for winter - result very good no problem driving in very deep snow when the Cristmas blizzard came to NYC last December. Install AVIC X920BT works very good with JBL but rear DVD console doesn't work, still do some research how to set up rear dvd console work together with my Pioneer any suggestions please welcome. Install windows deflectors and chrome pillars to cover paint cheeps. So far very happy with my Sequoia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts