Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have been saying for a few years that I want to build a new Desert Truck. Had my twins 2 years ago and the wife is sick of sitting at camp. So we got us a new Toy to build. A little nice to cut up but the price was right due to a bent Rod. We got a 1988 Toyota 4Runner. Original owners, top never removed. The interior is perfect except for a 2 inch rip in the passenger door panel. The clutch and exhaust are brand new. NO dings except for a small door ding in the driver front fender. A little rust in the camper shell part windows but it came with brand new Factory replacements still in the package:D. Also came with a cargo rack for the roof. I already pulled the motor and tore it down. The head is PERFECT so nothing needs to be done there. The bottom end will get rebuilt in a few weeks with the tax $. 22RE with a 5 speed Manual and AC. The truck has 178k miles on it.

The Plan:
1) Long Travel (Not sure which way to go, 2 wheel drive or keep 4 wheel drive). Keeping 4wheel drive means a max of 12-13 inches of travel. 2wd means 17 inches. Is 5 inches more worth losing 4wd? I have never had 4wd before and my current truck has 12-13 and I wanted more travel.
2) 1 Piece Fiberglass front Clip (NOT a Tundra clip one is being made)
3) Full Cage and bumpers
4) 62 Inch Deavers for the rear
5) Corbeau or Mastercraft RS seats in the front and matching Corbeau or Mastercraft seats (or Bench) in the rear with Crow 5 point Harnesses on each.
6) Hopefully some 15 inch Beadlocks and 33 inch BFG's (Unless I find a good deal on used)
7) 4.88 Gears with a Locker in the rear
8) Somehow work the bedsides to incorporate the bulge from Fiberglass bedsides.
9) Custom/Stronger steering
10) Plenty of little stuff Like Steering wheel, Off Road Lights, Tach or new Guage Cluster, aluminum Jack, spare tire (1or2) and stereo

IN the Far future the 4cyl will be replaced with a 3.4 or if the 4.0 is more affordable by then that but deffinatly more power.

Attachments

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Sounds like an awesome plan! Good luck!! Keep us posted.:D

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice! I love starting new projects like this. It's never the same as the last!! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Nice!!! I just sold a 88 runner in red 4 cyl but, auto tranny. That thing was slow up the hills. Sold it for $2k. Look forward to seeing the build progress.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you haven't needed 4wd where you usually wheel then I would 2wd it and get the 5". If lacking 4wd has limited you in where you are able to go then keep it 4wd.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Sounds good, I noticed I haven't seen you around here lately, hopefully you're busy on that. I like those older 4runners. 22re is bullet proof but I understand wanting more power.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I have not "Needed" 4wd so far but it would allow me to hit somethings with less speed which would in turn be nicer on the truck. It would also allow me to not run the truck as hard as well as try out new things. Still up in the air. I can see the benefits of both so it truley is a coin toss right now. Guess it will come down to what I find when I have the cash.

Tundrunk- My twins just turned 2 on the 12th and I have been spending most my time with either them or my 56 Merc and this site was giving me some issues (Very Long Load Times) so have not been able to get on here much.

PS- I have a 1994 Pre Runner for sale if anyone is interested:tu:

Very little progress right now since I still have my other off road truck. Once that sells then progress will pick up. Currently I just sand blasted and POR'd the rust spot inside the door jambs. I also pulled the blown speakers and pressure washed/cleaned the engine bay and underside so it is all ready for the new motor to go back in.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here we go. Sold My Baby on Sunday. Was not easy alot of time, blood and $ went into it. BUT now that she is gone time to move on.

1) I stripped the interior and pressure washed the carpet and it looks new.
2) My rebuilt Motor will be done Friday and we will be stabbing it back in this weekend??? Maybe???
3) Saturday I pick up:
a) Total Chaos Gen 2 kit.
b) Heimed steering,
c) Double Sheer tie rod points on the spindle
d) TC Idler arm.
e) 10 Inch 2.5 Fox coilovers with resis.
f) Getting 4:56 gears for the front and rear.
g) Locker for the front and a limited slip in the rear.
h) T-100 axles to keep 4wd
I ended up getting the kit that keeps it 4wd. Mainly because I got a SMOKIN deal on it. It will be a busy weekend.

The front end will still need 10 inch 2.5 Fox bybass shocks, bump stops, fiberglass and then all the cage work to mount the shocks and bumps and glass and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Sunday, Sunday, Sunday we started at 7AM. and by 7 PM we were rolling it off the trailer and back into it's spot at my house.

We got the Long travel on and the front diff in with the 4.56 gears and locker. We got the rear end in with the 4.56 gears and the limited slip. Got the steering in and the T100 axles in. Put on a temporary coilover shock mount just so it is a roller and can be lightly driven. Still need to do the engine cage, buy the bypass shocks, fiberglass and then onto the interior cage and blah, blah, blah.

Got the rebuilt motor back and it is sitting in the garage. Will be putting that in next Tuesday along with the header.

FYI-She is sitting totaly topped out right now because there is no motor or weight in the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
That truck is already sick! :puke:
Cut it out, you're making mine look wimpy!:attention:

Good job, I'm glad to see what you have done already, I can only imagine how hard it was to let go of the last one. Points sent.:tu:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So BUMMED! Spent 7 hours assembling the motor from a bare block and then stabbing it in the truck. Got it all hooked up, built oil pressure and she fired right up. Ran nice and smooth and quiet. BUT then we put a few RPM's into it and there is a horrible wrist pin noise which means the machine shop screwed up. The truck can run a LONG time with it but the truck sounds like it has a rod knock or like it is a diesel. So all that for nothing. The motor needs to come back out be tore down and the machine shop has to fix it. What a waste of a day off.:mad:

The Good news...I found out that everything works perfect. When I bought the truck I could not test anything so it was a little gamble. The tranny and all that work perfect with no noises. All the lights and everything work. The ac was blowing at 39 degrees so it works great. We did find out the oil light sensor was bad which probably explains how the guy ran it out of oil and blew the motor.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So pulled and stripped the motor. THey took 20 thousandths off the crank but used only 10 thousandths thicker bearings so ther was 10 thousanths of play. Sent it back and it is being fixed.

Need some help. I am in the air on which Fiberglass to put on the front. Would like some input. What do you think?

Option A) (1980's fiberglass)

Option B) (Tundra 1 piece)

Hannemann Fiberglass Inc.

Option C) (1999 Tacoma conversion)

Option D) (2008 Tacoma Conversion)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one is pretty sick too
Yeah. I am leaning towards the 2008 Tacoma style but the problem is only 1 company makes it and they have been crap to deal with so far and say it will not be done for my style truck for 6 weeks. We will see...

The last one you linked to for the Fiberwerx 1 piece Tundra clip is not really one I want for a few reasons. Fiberwerx is really thin and more of a race quality glass. I want something thicker and with better fitment. The second reason is because it is already on my friends 4Runner and I do not want to be exactly like his.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
Yeah. I am leaning towards the 2008 Tacoma style but the problem is only 1 company makes it and they have been crap to deal with so far and say it will not be done for my style truck for 6 weeks. We will see...

The last one you linked to for the Fiberwerx 1 piece Tundra clip is not really one I want for a few reasons. Fiberwerx is really thin and more of a race quality glass. I want something thicker and with better fitment. The second reason is because it is already on my friends 4Runner and I do not want to be exactly like his.
Got ya...im sure anything you choose will be sick old toyotas are the SH*T...:beavbutt:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like the new tacoma style as well except for the excessive venting. It may or may not serve a purpose but IMO it is fugly. So that puts my other choice to the 80's style.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the new tacoma style as well except for the excessive venting. It may or may not serve a purpose but IMO it is fugly. So that puts my other choice to the 80's style.
100% agree. I am not a fan of the vents that do nothing. I think they add them to break up the huge blank surface. I was only leaning towards it becasue NO ONE has it.

I think my decision was made up for me this weekend. It was a fiberglass weekend for sure. I got a FREE spare shell/top that I plan on cutting to make a sort of Summer top. I got a set of bedsides with tail lights for $15. YES only $15 dollars. I also got a 1980's style fiberglass hood for a 30 pack of Coors Light. So all I need now is the front fenders. Not sure if I will be grafting the bedsides on or not, Still in the air on that but I thought for $15 I could sell them and make enough to buy the front fenders I need.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts