Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2005 Double Cab SR5. Timberland Mica in color. At approaching 125,000 miles it's been a great...make that a fantastic vehicle. My youngest son is approaching 16 years old and when asked what he wanted for a 1st car he said "your Tundra". My company paid for it and I can "buy" it from them (since it's my company, myself) for $5000 so it seems like the thing to do. But that left me with a decision. I need a full size 4 door truck with a minimum 6ft bed. That doesn't leave a lot of trucks to choose from, or at least trucks I'd have. So I decided to look for a "new" 2005/2006 Tundra Double cab, with low mileage. After living with my current Tundra since new there were 2 things I'd like to have on a new one. A sunroof and the JBL stereo. After searching for a few months the supply of trucks like I wanted is there but most low mileage trucks seem to be painted in solid gold. Low to mid 20's minimum. And up. Recently I found a Toyota certified SR5 at Robbins Toyota in Texarkana Texas that had just turned 40,000 miles. That's a few more than I wanted, but workable and it had a good CarFax. Brand new tires. And it has the sunroof and JBL stereo. My older son (17 years old) is driving me out tomorrow to pick it up. 500 miles. He is so excited I don't think he'll sleep tonight.
Price? $18,000, out the door.........

·
7,925 Posts
Sweet - and 40,000 miles is just getting broken in for a Tundra. I have over 180,000 on mine and it still runs better than any fordchryslergm**** to roll off the assembly line in detroit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not a bad deal at all. I don't know why you're sweating 40k, you know how long they last!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back with the truck. We had a GREAT trip. Left B'ham Thursday morning and drove across I-20 to Shreveport and then north to Texarkana. Got in about 5PM and did the deal then spent the night right down the road at the Courtyard Marriott, by I-30. Had a nice super at Red Lobster. Breakfast at Cracker Barrel and then left going east up I-30 through Little Rock, then I-40, I-440, I-55 and around through Memphis and down Hwy-78 into B'ham again. 1050 mile loop. The "new" truck drives just like the "old" truck. Imagine that...........

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
congrats! gotta love the sunroof. that was one of the main features i was looking for when i bought last year. welcome back on board i guess. HA!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Nice. Now you gotta add some 'new' pix to your gallery :tu:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Now you gotta add some 'new' pix to your gallery :tu:
No doubt. I want to do a couple of things first. The pin stripe is going to go and the chrome strip on the body side molding is going bye-bye also. It also needs a REAL wax job. There is something fun about doing that 1st clean up on a ride.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gradually beginning the get to know the "new" Tundra. One thing I wanted to do is take all the wheels off, clean the back side of them and generally inspect the brakes and suspension. The back side of these 16" wheels is white. That was a surprise. The tires, as noted in the opening, are brand new. When I picked the truck up they still had ink ON the tread. They are General "Grabbers", which doesn't thrill me, but they seem to be round and balanced. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to find brand new brakes at all four corners. The shocks (Bilsteins) look good. I have a stripe eraser wheel ordered to get rid of the 3/16 pin stripe thats dead and some black 1" pin stripe coming that I'll use to cover the plastic chrome strip in the body side molding. This weekend, unless something else gets in my way, I have a clay bar kit I'll start with then I have some Meguires Swirl-X polish that I'll follow with their Tech wax. At least this once, I want the truck to be really black.
Last night I also stripped off the stick on door edge guards that somebody had applied. I hate those things. I have a set of Ventvisors and a set of black "Husky" liner floor mats coming from Summit Racing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Real Cool. About a week ago I traded my 03 Access Cab Limited in to the Toyota Dealer for a 06 Double Cab Limited. I absolutely love the new truck with heated leather, compass and temp gauge, sunroof, rear entertainment. I paid $22,500 for my truck. It's an 06 with 51K, Toyota Certified in dark black. I love it. It's not a TRD and I find it drives much smoother than my 03 TRD did.

Congrats on the new purchase. I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the difference in ride is a double-cab vs access cab thing. My 2005 SR5 D/C rides the same as the "new" 2006 D/C TRD does. I did add new Bilsteins to the 2005 D/C a couple of months ago. As I drove the 2006 home I couldn't help but note that the similarity between the two was amazing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last night I eraser wheel'd the pinstripe into oblivion. Then I took my 1" black pinstripe and covered the chrome strip in the body side molding. At that point I realized that the TRD Off Road sticker on the truck bed needed to go, so I eraser wheel'd it off the truck also. I think tonight I'm going to remove the "SR5" emblems from the cab and the "I Force V8" emblem from the tailgate. I'm going to leave the "Toyota TUNDRA" emblems, at least for the time being. Clay/polish/wax tomorrow..........

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last night I sawed off all my emblems and then decided The truck was just too black. I took the small "Toyota" off the Tundra emblems on the front doors and put the Tundra emblems back on and slightly repositioned. I also put the small Toyota back on the tailgate. I left off the SR5 emblems and the I-Force V8 emblem. Also the V8 emblem on the grille. The fishing line I had was waaay old and brittle so I used some braided nylon string as my emblem saw. I wrapped either end of the string around short pieces of rubber fuel hose that became handles for the saw. These pictures were right before my fresh wax job was tested by an afternoon rain shower. The camera work also lacks.........

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Then I took my 1" black pinstripe and covered the chrome strip in the body side molding.
How did this turn out? I've been wanting to do something about that chrome strip, but didn't want to paint it and worry about it flaking off. This seems like a good alternative. Points sent.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm pleased with the strip covering. In a previous life I sold automotive pin stripe at the wholesale level, so I'd been around it quite a bit. I accidentally buggered one covering up just a little when I was eraser wheeling the emblem adhesive off from one of the door emblems, so I'll need to replace it. And hey, if it does something weird down the road I'll just pull it off. Right now it just looks like a factory part of the molding. In my humble opinion more factory than the chrome strip did. That's fresh rain in one shot. Sorry for the lousy camera work. I'm sure the camera can do better, the operator can't seem to. Taking "Toyota" off the door emblems and pulling the driver side Tundra forward and both emblems closer to the molding REALLY turned out well, I think. If I'm allowed to pull my own chain........:)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i think u should have left them off...repositioning them just makes it look like a repaint/rebuilt vehicle someone didnt know where they were supposed to go IMO...but i do think it would look great all black tho.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts