Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've traded in my '05 Taco for an '08 Tundra 4x4 Dbl cab Limited.

My wife and I were talking about the poor turning radius of the Tacoma (Fabtech 6" lift), and how difficult it was in town. As well, there were a few other issues, but over all, we were looking for a nicer truck. With all the hoopla about the Tundra recall, I checked online for any good deals on the Tundras.

I found an '08 Tundra Dbl Cab Limited with all the goodies for 29k. It has 52k on the odometer, and has been Toyota Certified (if that really means anything). The dealer slapped some new Nitto tires on the truck (285/65R18), and the interior (leather) has been cleaned up real nice. Everything seems to work, and the power and ride is quite exceptional.

Currently there is one thing that is bothering me; it feels like there is a bad bearing at the rear end. When the truck gets up to highway speeds, its quite, no growling noise. But in the lower speeds, it seems the rear end has this growling sound and vibration...... I have seen the TSB for the front diff, but I don't know if this is the same thing..... could it be?

I do have the 100k mile warranty, so I should be good for another 50k miles......

Any thoughts on this growling noise?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought so too.
It was a great deal, so I jumped on it.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I don't know about the black fender flares on slate... But slate is a great color! Nice truck man!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Possibly color matched fender flares, but it still looks good!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've thought about the Bushwacker Fender flares, but they are black as well.
Maybe If I make my own bumper and stuff a 9.5k winch in there that would give it a more aggressive look.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
congrats on the truck you won't be disappointed. as far as the growling sound I would go for a ride with the dealer and see what he thinks. if it is indeed an issue with the rear end they should fix that gratis.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

I found the TSB for the front end. I'm going to go in tomorrow with the TSB in pocket and see if they can determine if its coming from the front diff. If so, hopefully they will step up to the plate and get it fixed, since its "Toyota Certified"......

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
good lookin truck. good thing u did get a certified truck, i'd always be apprehensive about buying a used truck or car with 50k miles on it...i know i wouldnt have a problem with it if i had bought it new or low miles but for some reason buying someone elses 50k miles just scares the helll outta me. but its a nice lookin truck, i like the black flares. and if you think the price is fair then thats what matters. welcome to the big boy truck area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

The KBB and edmunds, with all the gadgets, has the price at about 32k, and I was able to get it for about 29k. So, I felt pretty good about it.

MAN, I'll tell ya what, I really, really like this truck. I used to think I really didn't need to move to the larger Tundra. What convinced me was a long highway trip pulling a single axle enclosed utility trailer with my 4.0L Tacoma. During this pull, I was getting 10MPG..... That sucks! So, I figured, heck why not move up to the bigger Tundra with more room and comfort and still get the 10MPG......

I'm sooo happy with this truck.

Today my wife and I took it out into some mud to see how the Limited Slip functioned, and it really worked, I was surprised. As well, the both front tires were turning at the same rate as well; guess the ATRAC computer was doing a good job of keeping it moving.... very nice.

Of course the wife caught me cruising the board looking for a leveling kit......as she stated; "Already!, you just got the truck!"....

yeah, can't help it, I'm a gear head.....

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
it wont stop with just the levelling kit. :) as u know from your previous ride, its gonna be a fun fun moddin time haha

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Thanks guys.

The KBB and edmunds, with all the gadgets, has the price at about 32k, and I was able to get it for about 29k. So, I felt pretty good about it.

MAN, I'll tell ya what, I really, really like this truck. I used to think I really didn't need to move to the larger Tundra. What convinced me was a long highway trip pulling a single axle enclosed utility trailer with my 4.0L Tacoma. During this pull, I was getting 10MPG..... That sucks! So, I figured, heck why not move up to the bigger Tundra with more room and comfort and still get the 10MPG......

I'm sooo happy with this truck.

Today my wife and I took it out into some mud to see how the Limited Slip functioned, and it really worked, I was surprised. As well, the both front tires were turning at the same rate as well; guess the ATRAC computer was doing a good job of keeping it moving.... very nice.

Of course the wife caught me cruising the board looking for a leveling kit......as she stated; "Already!, you just got the truck!"....

yeah, can't help it, I'm a gear head.....
glad to hear your happy with it. My dad has an 03 Taco and he gets 17 mpg the same as my 5.7. It goes to show that just because you have a smaller truck doesn't mean your getting better mileage. He paid about the same that I did for my truck and the difference in mileage is nill but the difference in performance and towing is enormous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts